Goingto need a new computer, I guess

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Goingto need a new computer, I guess

Post by Grifter »

Hey everyone,

So, on boot-up, Windows 10 informed me that it will no longer be supported as of October 2025. Unfortunately, My current MOBO or CPU doesn't support Windows 11, which I was surprised to learn. Does anyone know if it is my MOBO or CPU? I'm guessing CPU, but it could be both?

So, I have a bit of time, but before October 2025, I probably will need to replace one or both of these components. As a result, I may need also to replace a the PSU and RAM.

This is very frustrating because this PC is running great and meets all my needs at the moment. I also don't have the money for a new build, really. My car suffered a fuel leak and that's going to cost me about 2,000 to fix. The one advantage I have is time. This doesn't need to be done the fall of 2025.

So while cash is tight, I want to strive to buy something that will not need to be replaced for a while. I like five year windows, if possible.

Any advice on what I need to replace would be great appreciated. Here's my current system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name Redacted
System Manufacturer
System Model
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1286 v3 @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel(R) Corp. PGQ8710H.86A.0155.2018.1031.1654, 10/31/2018
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Intel Corporation
BaseBoard Product DQ87PG
BaseBoard Version AAG74154-403
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.3636"
User Name Redacted
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 22.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 25.3 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Xpendable

Re: Goingto need a new computer, I guess

Post by Xpendable »

I am building a new machine myself. Money is sorta tight because we signed up the kids for a ton of summer activities and we are going on a lot of trips. Was just in southern illinois last weekend where we shared an airbnb lake house with all of my wife's sibling families. Going to Cincinnati, Williamsburg Virginia, Jamestown, and Charlotte North Carolina in July. Also spending a couple of nights at a bed and breakfast in Cedarburg Wisconsin with just the wife in a couple of weeks.Then it's a week in Galena, IL in August, and a week in Orlando for Thanksgiving. Then next year I get my 10 year sabbatical and I get 2 months off. We are planning some international trips... Possibly Rome or Greece or maybe more.

Anyway, I have picked my parts and am buying them a few at a time each month to spread the cost. The case comes tomorrow, for example.

Here's the parts I picked for my computer:
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6G3Fn6

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($375.73 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($254.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($217.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1407.98 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2771.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-03 08:32 EDT-0400

I am not sure I'm going to be able to swing $1400+ for the RTX 4080 right now, so I may do a lower-end card for bit. Also not shown above is the M.2 drive (2TB) that I already bought last year. I may add a second M.2 drive (this motherboard can wield 4 of those bad boys)
Last edited by Xpendable on 03 Jun 2024, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Keep in mind that you most likely will be able to use your current hardware well beyond October. Microsoft ending support for an OS just means that they won't be releasing any more updates on it. It doesn't mean that on October 1st your PC will no longer be able to boot up into Windows.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I have upgraded piece by piece. Maybe consider just the guts you need.

My system in case you want to mimic it. DCS runs just fine.

ASUs Z690M Plus D4 mobo ($220 on amazon)
Core i7-12700KF Gaming Desktop Processor 12 (8P+4E) Cores up to 5.0 GHz Unlocked LGA1700 600 Series Chipset 125W ($189 on amazon)
8GB (1X8GB) DDR4 2400MHZ PC4-19200 Memory ($20 each on amazon x 4)
My PSU is like 650W I think and cost $150 at best buy (I had a gift card to offset it)

All that is like $600ish range.

Then stick in all your other stuff.

I agree with Panzer. Your machine should run fine. I have a 1070Ti graphics card I will give you if you need one but yours is probably faster already. Just my 2 cents but I'm not an IT or hardware expert by any means.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all this info. Yes, I only plan to upgrade the parts I need to upgrade. I don't want to do a complete build, as I really don't have the money for it.

The question is, though, what parts will I really need to upgrade? I'm hoping that PCPartspicker can help with that. My guess is that I will need to upgrade the CPU and MOBO. But doing so may require that I also install new RAM or a new PSU. Not sure yet. Do you think my DDR4 RAM will work with a new i7?

As for using my current PC past October 1st, I'm only worried about that from a security perspective. I use my PC for personal banking and professional work. I don't want my outdated OS making me vulnerable, or simply not working properly and creating problems when I'm under deadline.

Again, really appreciate you guys offering such detailed responses. It's a good starting point, but I clearly have a lot of research to do. Thanks!

P.S. Xpen, enjoy all those trips!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

usually security updates are provided well past end of life of the OS itself.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Apparently, they are going to cease security support as of October 14 2025.

I still have a year to figure out my next build, I guess. Obviously I’m in a budget and will not be doing a complete rebuild. Probably just Mobo and CPU. I might invest in DDR5 RAM, but the DDR4 might be okay..
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

If you can manage it Grifter, upgrade to 64 GB RAM. It makes a significant difference in DCS.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Interesting. i had no plans to go beyond 32GB but now you've got me wondering, not only for DCS, but all of my gaming. I need to see how much is being used next time I'm on.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

So far, I haven’t seen a significant need for more RAM than 32GB, but I’m sure the increasing demands of some of these maps will may require it. It will depend also on what we’re playing. I only have time to play one game right now.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The more detailed maps like Syria and the larger missions with many units most definitely use up RAM. Both Jedi and I have run a monitoring program while playing DCS and the sim will often use 100% of the RAM.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

And concerning the number of games it’s my understanding that Elite Dangerous would be played in addition to DCS. In other words, our DCS Wednesday sessions will not be affected.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I Finn’s 2 more sticks of the same ram I have and now will have 64gb. Didn’t even consider 32 was enough. Good advice.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Hmm, I have 32 GB DDR5 RAM and I don't have any lags/slowdowns/delays when I play. Textures load really fast, I occasionally get texture load delays in MP but only on rare occasion, otherwise she's just ready to go off the bat.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Right Bones, it would be in addition to DCS, but I may choose to only play Elite Dangerous. I only have time to play one game. I will write more later on. Still thinking about it.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Had a thought this morning. I think the major concern in October of 2025 will be the lack of antivirus updates. I suppose the OS will be more prone to exploitation as well? Would it be foolish to put off upgrading the computer by simply getting lean and mean (Not McAfee, not Norton) antivirus software? Or, would I be better off upgrading at that time?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

We have a common computer that everyone uses at home and put antivirus on it and it is a Windows 10 machine and I have not had any issues or breakins
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi Cr33p3r,

But Windows 10 is still supported at the moment. I mean I would attempt to stretch using this windows 10 machine past October 2025, when Microsoft will stop supporting it, by simply using a third party antivirus. Would that be enough to avoid trouble, or am I going to need to upgrade the computer and get windows 11?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I guess you're taking a bigger risk compared to upgrading but I'm not sure how to quantify that. the IT gurus here probably better to offer advice. I was just weighing in on what we are doing.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Most Win10 machines are upgradeable to Win 11. There wasn't supposed to be a Win11, it was supposed to be Win10 from now on out with patch updates but I guess their strategy changed recently. But because of the original plan, Win11 by design is supposed to work for former Win10 machines to make the transition better. Of course down the line you will need to upgrade the hardware, but you would have to anyway--just not as soon as one would think.

Also there are some really good free antivirus software like AVAST (or at least they are very cheap to purchase).

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot