Goingto need a new computer, I guess

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Re: Goingto need a new computer, I guess

Post by Xpendable »

I have to correct you there. Many computers are actually NOT able to take Windows 11. Mine is an exanple. True story... There is no technical reason why it would not work. In fact, the early test builds actually would work. Just before Windows 11 was released, Microsoft arbitrarily restricted which cpu's were compatible... They did this solely to appease computer manufacturers knowing it would force people to have to buy newer computers. It was literally a scam. Forced obsolescence. Thank you, Microsoft.

Second thing I have to correct you on. DO NOT USE AVAST. It is really, really bad. It used to be good... Like 15 years ago. Now it is literally one of the worst things you could put on your computer. If you are using it now, I would immediately get it off and and go back to Windows Defender.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Xpendable wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 03:42
Second thing I have to correct you on. DO NOT USE AVAST. It is really, really bad. It used to be good... Like 15 years ago. Now it is literally one of the worst things you could put on your computer. If you are using it now, I would immediately get it off and and go back to Windows Defender.
I haven't used Avast in a long time or even the other ones like Malwarebytes. The reason being is that Windows Defender is already on most OSs and it made sense to me that a huge corporation that knows the ins and outs of their own OS would be the best people to make an antivirus program for it. Well, they used to be.

But what about Avast, or anyone else, makes it so bad? You say it is the one of the worst things you can put on your computer, but don't say why. Does that apply to other AV programs?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

For home use, Windows Defender out of the box is actually very good, and is a much better choice than the 3rd party solutions. All of the 3rd party solutions got big and bloated, and load a lot of crapware on your computer that you don't need and don't want. And they have become very slow and very obtrusive. And their virus fighting ability has become bad. Avast has one of the lowest ratings for actually preventing viruses and malware. Defender is light years ahead. It seems all of the 3rd party anti-virus companies got bad at doing their primary job and focus more effort on selling you things you don't need. Like Norton... They bought Lifelock and integrated that, which itself is literally a scam.

Please note that on a corporate network, Defender isn't going to be enough. You are typically adding actual hardware on the network at that point for additional protections and scanning and mote. That's a whole different level.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Thanks for the explanation!

And for Win10>Win11, I think that yes what you say must be true about making it work for only certian processors, but I think it not working in terms of the processor applies mostly to older processors. I have a machine with an i7 from 2020 in it and it went to Win11 fine but I doubt an i5 from say 2015 would. But then again, if you have an i5 from back then, you probably need alot more updated than just the OS.

v6,
bones
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I have an i7 from 2013 and it won't go to win11. Remember that i5 and i7 are classes of processors and do not specify an actual model number.

‎i7-4770K is what I bought in 2014. Not compatible with Win11.

i7-14770k (14th generation!) is win11 compatible.

There is nothing that would actually physical prevent my computer from working with Win11, it is just an artificial blocker Microsoft put in to appeal to computer manufacturers to help them sell new computers.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hey Xpen....

So much of this stuff goes over my head but I wanted to ask - on the topic of Anti Virus - I use BitDefender... any thought on it? Seems good and to be working but its a bit over my head.

thanks...
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Im glad you all are weighing in. I'm learning a lot just reading these posts! :)
Wingnuts

Post by Wingnuts »

I'll chime in, though others most likely have more knowledge. I rebuilt my computer back in December of 2023. I had this build from April of 2012. It was a 2500k chip I overclocked to 4.3ghz with 16gb of ram. I kept my same case, power supply and drives for the new build.

I went with;
Asus Tuf gaming MB
Intel i7 12700K that I overclocked to 5ghz
32gb of ram, which I took back and got 64gb of ram better for DCS
Hyper 212 Air Cooler
And that was it. I updated to win 11 to take advantage of the 12 cores. Win took my code from Win 7 which was a surprise. That's when I took back the RAM and went with 64gb. All parts played nice together which could have been otherwise. DCS is running great for me with most settings up there.

My AntiVirus is ESET by NOD32. Have used it over 10 years. Currently it runs 60 something for two computers. Has saved us on several occasions in that time.

NOTE: DO NOT CARRY OVER A 12 YEAR OLD POWER SUPPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask me how I know as I got very lucky on that.................
Wingy
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Trichome wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 09:24
Hey Xpen....

So much of this stuff goes over my head but I wanted to ask - on the topic of Anti Virus - I use BitDefender... any thought on it? Seems good and to be working but its a bit over my head.

thanks...
I used BitDefender myself about 10 years ago. It was fine at the time, and Windows Defender wasn't good back then. They are pretty close to each other today in virus protection ability. Bit Defender does gives you more features, like moibile phone protection. But it is an expensive solution... Whereas Windows Defender is free. For me, I would rather just use the out of box Windows Defender over paying $100 or more a year to keep Bitdefender.

When Win10 becomes unsupported, the issue isn't only antivirus. New OS vulnerabilities may be discovered and exploited, and Microsoft will no longer be patching those on Win10. So you run a risk that your computer could become exploitable (maybe) with no way to protect against it. Antivirus might not help you here.

There are some funny videos out there that show you what happens when you connect a fresh Windows 98 VM to the Internet today. It will get compromised very quickly as soon as it gets port scanned.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Here is a video where a guy puts Windows XP on a virtual machine and connects it to the internet (without a gateway) and without a firewall. The machine gets infected in about 10 minutes. This probably would not succeed on most home networks as by default, no ports would be open on your router and would not be configured to port forward to any machines unless you opened it up. Of course you would get infected if you happen to go to the wrong web address or there is something already inside your network.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Xpendable wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 20:27
Trichome wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 09:24
Hey Xpen....

thanks...
I used BitDefender myself about 10 years ago. It was fine at the time, and Windows Defender wasn't good back then. They are pretty close to each other today in virus protection ability. Bit Defender does gives you more features, like moibile phone protection. But it is an expensive solution... Whereas Windows Defender is free. For me, I would rather just use the out of box Windows Defender over paying $100 or more a year to keep Bitdefender.

When Win10 becomes unsupported, the issue isn't only antivirus. New OS vulnerabilities may be discovered and exploited, and Microsoft will no longer be patching those on Win10. So you run a risk that your computer could become exploitable (maybe) with no way to protect against it. Antivirus might not help you here.

There are some funny videos out there that show you what happens when you connect a fresh Windows 98 VM to the Internet today. It will get compromised very quickly as soon as it gets port scanned.
Thanks for this....
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Cr33p3r wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:11
I guess you're taking a bigger risk compared to upgrading but I'm not sure how to quantify that. the IT gurus here probably better to offer advice. I was just weighing in on what we are doing.
Okay, thanks Creeper. Appreciate the feedback. Sorry for my delay in replying.

Trichome,

Unfortunately, my computer isn't eligible to upgrade to Win 11 for some reason. The Windows 10 alert I receive and the software updater both state that it isn't. So, I'll probably have to upgrade. I guess I'll wait until the end of next summer and see where I'm at financially. Right now, money is too tight for me to build a new machine, as I'm choosing to spend it on other endeavors.....and car repairs. ugh....