Need to buy a new gaming headset

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Need to buy a new gaming headset

Post by Grifter »

Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a new gaming headset. I currently own a Logitech G series and thinking I just might go with another pair.

But before I do so, I thought I would check in to see if you all have recommendations. Looking for something in the $75-130 range.
Recluse

Re: Need to buy a new gaming headset

Post by Recluse »

Grifter,

I am a big fan of the Hyper-X line.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hyper+x+head ... r-mrr_3_18

I have a Hyper-X Cloud Stinger 2 which is actually at a much LOWER price point and I like it a lot.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hey Recluse!

Thanks for chiming in with this recommendation. Yes, I've been eyeing the Hyper X line. How do you find the volume on yours?

One of my few complaints about my G930's is that the top end volume is a bit quieter than I would like. Not that I want ear drum shattering volume, but it would be nice to turn it up slightly.

I'll definitely check these out.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I think I’ve settled on these.

Well, they don’t offer the bells and whistles of my old logitech G930’s, All reviews indicate that they offer Excellent audio quality with a broad spectrum, well-balanced sound profile. They’re only stereo, but I never really use the surround sound option on my Logitech anyway. I found the digital 7.1 surround sound tinny, And full of echoes that were actually distracting.

Much to my surprise, I also found myself not using the wireless option all that often on my text either. It’s nice to get up and walk to the kitchen wearing my headset from time to time, but it really isn’t necessary. For the price point, I’m hoping these will serve me really well.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I have Logitech H390. The last one I had lasted about three or four years dumped it and got another one. I think it was 30 bucks or less. I like it and it works fine. The volume is good. This is wired USB though not wireless. Personally, I don’t like something that totally covers my ear because then I can’t hear my wife calling me from the other room ha ha.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 09:34
I don’t like something that totally covers my ear because then I can’t hear my wife calling me from the other room ha ha.

My headphones fully cover my ears for maximum sound quality but I just keep my smartphone in front of me on my computer desk so if my wife has to send me a text I’ll see it. PDT_Armataz_01_12
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Recluse

Post by Recluse »

Grifter wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 08:00
I think I’ve settled on these.

Well, they don’t offer the bells and whistles of my old logitech G930’s, All reviews indicate that they offer Excellent audio quality with a broad spectrum, well-balanced sound profile. They’re only stereo, but I never really use the surround sound option on my Logitech anyway. I found the digital 7.1 surround sound tinny, And full of echoes that were actually distracting.

Much to my surprise, I also found myself not using the wireless option all that often on my text either. It’s nice to get up and walk to the kitchen wearing my headset from time to time, but it really isn’t necessary. For the price point, I’m hoping these will serve me really well.
They look good! For what it's worth, the volume is fine on my Cloud Stinger-2's. I seldom have it cranked up to max when gaming or watching movies/listening to music. Hope you like the Cloud Alphas!!
Bones

Post by Bones »

I have the Corsair Void It is a good headset, wireless USB with surround sound, yet it costs the same as the HyperX one that you linked. I also like that you can mute the boom mike by flipping it up. Now like Grifter, I have found that I don't have need for the wireless part much but only because since I use TrackIR and the ProClip, I'm wired up anyway because of TrackIR and so it kinda defeats the purpose of the USB wireless. But that's it. When I play Ready or Not or am practicing my French, or running to the head while talking to you guys in TeamSpeak (again, instant mute with flipping up the boom mic hahaha), it's great. If I'm going to pay the same amount of $ for a wired headset, I might as well get the wireless one. I can also change the color scheme on it if I want to (though I don't really care).

The only drawback is that over long hours, it may feel heavy on the head. But that's about it.

I've had this for 7 years now and I think it is finally reaching the end of its service life, but I think I would get another.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot