Saturday Night Ribs

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

Saturday Night Ribs

Post by Buffalo Six »

Well After talking about BBQ all week i decided I needed to do some ribs....so here we go........( some of this info was posted in the other thread but I added it here because I was actually doing it tonight)

Did 2 racks of pork short ribs....

Rib Rub as follows:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning or ceyeanne (sp?) adjust for heat level...I could not find jalapeno today so I used 1/4 tsp of 30,000 btu (i.e. nuclear hot) ceyeanne that I had around
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Mix in a bowl with your fingers and set aside for now

And the Mop sauce....
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup apple cider
3 tablespoons bourbon (knob creek)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Make the mop sauce: Melt the butter in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cider, bourbon, and soy sauce. Keep warm until ready to use.

Here is the prep....total time about 20 mins....

Making the BBQ sauce....recipe below (its easy, and great)

Lemon Brown Sugar BBQ sauce:

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 teaspoons dry mustard (preferably Colman’s)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, mustard, onion powder, and pepper in a nonreactive saucepan and whisk to mix.

2. Gradually bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat and let simmer until thick and flavorful, 8 to 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice if necessary. Transfer the sauce to a bowl or clean jars and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate the sauce, covered, until serving time; let it return to room temperature before using. The sauce can be refrigerated for several weeks.

and the rub is mixed..........

everything simmering on the stove........made the house smell great!

Prep the grill, I lined the bottom with foil to ease in clean up after. This is a indirect cook so I placed 2 drip pans under where the ribs will cook and kept a open space near the vent for the fire box.

add the "wood" to the fire box, 1 hunk of apple and 1 small chunk of hickory to start.......

here is the procedure for how I do my ribs (I also use the 3,2,1 method which I will explain below) but tonight will my normal method.

Prepare the ribs: Place a rack of ribs meat side down on a baking sheet. Remove the thin, papery membrane from the back of the rack by inserting a slender implement, such as a butter knife or the tip of a meat thermometer, under it. The best place to start is on one of the middle bones. Using a dishcloth, paper towel, or pliers to gain a secure grip, peel off the membrane. Repeat with the remaining rack.

Set aside 2 tablespoon of rub for serving. Sprinkle the remaining rub over both sides of the ribs, rubbing it onto the meat. Cover the ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate them while you set up the grill.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium (325 to 350F). Place a large drip pan in the center of the grill under the grate.

When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Place the ribs bone side down in the center of the grate, over the drip pan and away from the head. If cooking on a charcoal grill, toss half of the wood chips on each mound of coals. Cover the grill and cook the ribs for 45 minutes.

Mop the ribs on both sides with the mop sauce. Re-cover the grill and continue cooking the ribs until well browned, cooked through, and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers, 45 minutes to 1 hour longer, 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours in all. When the ribs are cooked, the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones by about ¼ inch. Mop the ribs again every 15 minutes and, if using a charcoal grill, replenish the coals as needed.

Just before serving, brush the ribs on both sides with some BBQ suace and move them directly over the fire. Grill the ribs until the barbecue sauce is browned and bubbling, 1 to 3 minutes per side.

Transfer the ribs to a large platter or cutting board. Let the ribs rest for a few minutes, then cut the racks in half or into individual ribs. Sprinkle a little of the reserved rub over the ribs and serve at once with the remaining barbecue sauce on the side.

Ok back to the main event!

Ribs go on............

uh oh....Kansas weather is up to something......

Shit......check the radar....double shit.....

well the weather and wind made me baby sit the grill more than normal, wind will really mess with your temps....but.....all is well and here is how they ended up....

time to put some Jimmy Buffet on the stereo and get up to my elbows in ribs.....

Oh the 3,2,1 method.....here goes (its more labor intensive but makes outstanding ribs):

The 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs is not my original idea but is a process that tends to yield very consistent results and I do use it occasionally when I want my ribs to be falling off the bone.

The 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs is not rocket science.. just a series of basic instructions that will do some magic on your ribs and make them more tender that you could ever imagine.

The 3-2-1 method starts out by preparing the ribs as normal.. removing the membrane, dusting with a rub or with just some salt and pepper if you prefer and then onto the smoker grate for about 3 hours.

I say "about" very loosely since it a visual cue that must tell you when to move to the next stage.

This first stage is the "3" in the equation and is over when you see the meat starting to pull back from the bone about a quarter inch. This normally requires about 3 hours or so if you are able to maintain 225 degrees in your smoker.

The second stage of the process is removing the ribs from the smoker and wrapping them in heavy duty foil. Just before closing up the foil, splash on some apple juice.

Place the ribs back in the smoker wrapped in foil and let them cook for 2 hours.

This is the "2" in the formula for the most tender ribs you ever tasted.

When the second stage is over, remove the foil and place the ribs back on the smoker grate unwrapped to firm them up a little before serving.

You are now to the last and final stage in the process.. the "1".

Keep a close eye on the ribs at this point and remove them when they reach 172 degrees which should take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Let the ribs sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Those ribs look fantastic. Heck, with cooking skills like that I'm surprised women aren't beating down your door! lol
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

wierd, i'm cooking ribs tonight. Josi "pre-cooked" them earlier and I'm going to grill them tonight. Can't wait.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Softball

Post by Softball »

Man, that looks DELICIOUS!!

I'm going to start calling you BBQ instead of Buff. Lol.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

well they ended up tasting outstanding. I did have a problem with the temps during the burn. I will need to modify the basket (or make a new one) because the coals were getting choked out with the ashes and it was becoming a problem so much so that I had to add a chimney of coal to the main chamber to maintain the heat. Wind was also a problem as it really messes with the burn rate....it required a lot of turning the BBQ to adjust the intake for the air out of or into the wind depending on temps.

I think I am feeling the need to do a BCC....also known as a Beer can Chicken
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I think those pics of your ribs could just about convert any vegan out there. LOL
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Save a Cow Eat a vegetarian, I am sure all that healthy eating made them extra tasty PDT_Armataz_01_12
Softball

Post by Softball »

So, do your neighbors give you dirty looks? I can imagine the smoke and smell from your BBQ drives them nuts (In a good way). I know I would be like, "Hey Neighbor, what cha got cookin?"

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Except Buff probably hovers over his grill with a ar15 just in case the neighbors want to come over and steel a beer and some food PDT_Armataz_01_12
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

VEGETA wrote:Except Buff probably hovers over his grill with a ar15 just in case the neighbors want to come over and steel a beer and some food PDT_Armataz_01_12
Are you speaking from experience Veg?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

nope but I was online when he was grilling that night, ya um I can see with with buff.
Falker

Post by Falker »

ima going to Q up some Krispy Kreme cheese burgers for the 4th. Who wants some!? 50 cents extra for the chocolate dip. :cheers:
We're in the pipe , five by five.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I will take 2. My address is someware in canada eh
Falker

Post by Falker »

Man I actually had to do this last Memorial Day day because I was all set up and had no charcoal lighter fluid. Doh! I wonder if that poisons the meat?

http://www.contemporaryinsanity.org/aud ... tarter.mp3

Well I’m cooking baby back ribs tonight and am good to go. Oh yeah , I made my own potato salad and have a few ears of corn as well. I soaked them in water for about 20 minutes. I hear that the corn will juice up with water and then steam on the grill when cooking. Sounds good. Whelp it’s getting dark and I have meat on the Q , so <S>
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

god Falker dont use lighter fluid

go buy a charcoal chimney and use some crumpled newspaper....it will have flames shooting out the top in 20 mins....ready to grill on

yuck....lighter fluid
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

crumpled newspaper., buff come on man, go find some straw instead, i mean come on news paper what are you nuts, get that inky smell on the burgers yeash. And I sure as hell hope you are not using a lighter to get that going, wooden matches or 2 rocks are the only way to start up a flame.

PDT_Armataz_01_12
Falker

Post by Falker »

Happy birthday to me.

I got me a mini me BBQ the other day. It was only $24 marked down from $100 at the Home Depot. Missing some knobs and a grease catcher but i really like it. I also had to mickey mouse a gas tank holder . And you guys crack me up. =p

Well that makes 4 BBQ at my place now, (i own 3 of them) One for the front yard, back patio and driveway and one in the back of my Jeep , and the other for camping. I'm good to go.

oh that cuts it ,..i'll buy a BBQ chimney next trip. :wink:

PS
Man im getting accustomed to V-8 in my beer. try it ...
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Did you say GAS TANK! As in propane, someone keel haul this guy. If you ain't burnin wood and charcoal then you ain't grillin. I like to do a marinade for my ribs overnight or atleast three hours in a pinch.

I have no set receipe for the marinade just the key ingredient is Rum or Whiskey and when they go on the grill wrapped in foil for the first half hour then take 'em out and let them sizzle baby. I use a glow wand to light my charcoal.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Falker

Post by Falker »

That sounds really good actually. I’ve rapped up rainbow trout or brown trout in foil before. Slice of butter , whatever seasoning and some lemon squeeze on the torso just before wrapping. About 25 to 30 minutes a side and it’s good to go.

That half and half in an out of the foil sounds good too lol. Id add some Jack if I had kept liquor here. Just a beer drinker.. That’ll make a good conversation topic at my next -Q- get together.

Aye , I just have 1 propane tank here. I mostly use Kingsford Charcoal . Still haven’t had the wood chips experience yet. :)

The other only thing I rap in foil in is called a camp out meal.

Camp Out Meal:
Good for camping

(1) Half pound of ground beef.
(2) Sliced potato
(3) Sliced carrots
(4) Salt-N-Pepper
(5) Imaginary seasonings
(6) Refer to step (9)
(7) Rotate the foil every 15 minutes per side and here it sizzle.
(8) Let it cook for about an hour max.

(9) Well there is a difference between Bar-B-Qing and Grilling. When you Bar-B-Q you cook the meat for awhile and that gives the meat a chance to tenderize. When you grill , you place the meat right on the flames and cook it quick.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Only thing you should grill is burgers, hot dogs, chicken (and thats pushing it) and whatever else that only needs half hour to forty five minutes tops. When I take the ribs out the foil they are steamed but I still slow cook them on my cool spot on my weber. I am actually thinking about getting that grill and smoker. Been looking at it for a year or two but never broke down to get it.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU