Model Trains

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

daofcmacg

Model Trains

Post by daofcmacg »

Well with the purchase of my new home I have a huge basement that is begging for my personal touch and one of them will be model railroading. So down the line as the months go by I will be posting pics here of my progress of the different model railroading projects that I will be working on.
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

what gauge are you using DA? I have some N gauge trains that i have worked with in the past; no room to set them up now, though.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

N gauge is pretty cool - you can do a lot in a very small space.
Helmut
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

YUP N gauge is what I'm working with, I should be getting another set for christmas and I will link the two with a double curve bend for to start a rail yard.

DA
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Wow! Being in WOF leads to pleasant surprises. Who would've thought you guys would share a mutual interest in model railroading, especially when you joined the group to play military sims? That's pretty. By the way, I inherited my father's American flyer set complete with two engine, everything is metal and original. Good stuff. :D
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

man thats a nice set there. Wowwweeeee!! I never owned a real trainset and I always wanted one so now I am buying it myself. What I have to do now is buy a power pack to run my four cars.

DA
Gator

Post by Gator »

Griffy,

I have American Flyer stuff too... Got it from my dad and granddad. I just don't have much good track. The locomotives are all good and the power supplies are fine, but the track is iffy.

-Brian
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Gator:

I think all the parts are still in good working order. The power pack may need fixing. I believe I still got enough of the original track to make figure eights or an oval. I got small buildings and trees as well, but I think my dad bought those extra. All that stuff is actually at my fathers in a closet in the cellar. But, he says I'm obligated to take it with me once I have my own home. Who knows I might even set it up again someday.

Gator, that's cool the locos still work. I'll bet you could scrounge for some track on ebay or get a close facsimile out of a modern set?

Wow, I can't believe we stumbled on this mutual interest?! too funny. Stil,, you guys seemed to know all about this stuff. N gage? I didn't know there were different gages.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

You should see some of the model train sites on the net, they even have software/shareware that links up a bunch of guys to run a virtual rail system that works off the original system the United States have in use today. There is a monthly fee to be apart of it. The virtual rail system works by lets say I start a freight train from Chicago and send it to Vienna Virgina to Gator, I will receive e-Mails on its progress from point to point to point until it ends in Vienna and Gator receives it.

DA
Gator

Post by Gator »

There is some new American Flyer track available, but the main problem for me is that American Flyer is a large-ish scale (it's like 1:68, S-Gauge I think) that needs a bit of space for any kind of setup. I just don't have that space right now. I haven't had it set-up since I lived at my parent's house. The good thing is that 1/72 scale aircraft models are just about the right size (and there's even 1/72 military vehicles, tanks, and jeeps too). My flat-bed cars were often spotted carrying sherman tanks in circles...
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

i have n gauge trains, but they are packed away in storage for our move next month.

We had American Flyer when we were kids; then we traded them in for the new fangled HO stuff in the 50's. then i traded the HO stuff in for the N gauge in the 70's and have kept the n gauge ever since.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I'm sorry guys but I am working with HO scale. The British wonder that caught on in the 50's. Sorry about that.

DA