GR 3 for PC

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Gator

GR 3 for PC

Post by Gator »

I'm starting to get excited for this ... read an interesting (and promising) preview on IGN. They were actually reviewing a preview build for PC. Anyway, it sounds good ...

Here's the links to some videos of the PC version ..

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/736/736230/vids_1.html

I thought the destruction physics were a little exagerated, but that's the only thing that bugged me.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Yes, I noticed that also. However, I considereed that it was a demo to show the destruction physics, and of course the weapon damage capability may have been modified in order to do that in a convenient manner. Perhaps a weapon of that nature, capable of that level of destruction wasn't readily available to use at the time the demo was done. maybe not in a ballistics sense, but more graphically. Who knows. But can't say I'll be overly impressed to see a pistol, whether automatic fire or not, or whether it's .45 calibre shooting a door off like that, in the final game.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

all good except for the pistol blowing the van doors off... that is retarded. not too mention standing that close the the van and not getting any ricochets.
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

LOL! Gotta say, we're all sat here moanig about whether the pistol should be blowing the doors off or not, and being a bunch of thankless chancers - we really oughta be happy there IS a destruction physics model(of that standard) in the first place. Mind you, if they're gonna do it, they might as well do it right! :wink:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Ah, like how in the original GR you could use the AT rocket on a crate and it wouldn't care?? :)
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Well, let's be honest, with anything you can keep shooting it with an AT and it keeps blowing apart piece by piece until there is literally nothing left except bits and pieces all over the floor (which even should be affected by the blast) - but that kind of engine is still a few years away!

Softball

Post by Softball »

Well, having played the Xbox version and from seeing the videos for the PC version, I am 99.9% sure I am getting GRAW for the PC when it's available. I really like the urban setting and the planning map looks very nice and simple to use.

Did you see the video of the player looking through the iron sight? Outstanding! The only thing that is kind of unrealistic to me is the little diamond icons on your screen showing the enemy positions in your field of view. That is apparently a "feature" of the futuristic headset/hud you are wearing. I just can't see that happening in RL, but hey what the heck, it's only a game. :roll: Maybe there's an option to turn the icon off in the PC version?

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I believe you can turn it off. I also think there's supposed to be situations in the game where you CAN'T use it, like it could be damaged by incoming fire.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

To hell with iron sights! Give me a bloody scope anyday! :lol: 8)

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

KODIAK wrote:To hell with iron sights! Give me a bloody scope anyday! :lol: 8)
REAL men use iron sights. Wimps use scopes. :lol:
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

I just read an interesting post on ghostrecon.net ...

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index. ... =32651&hl=

Has an interview from the dev. Interesting info

1) Join in progress
2) Co-op campaign missions
3) LARGE maps ... longer missions
4) in-game content download (join a game that has a map that you don't -- you download the map from the server)
5) no in-game voice comms
6) map editor plus xml-based config files
7) in-game server browser is gamespy :cry:
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

1) somebody is finally getting a clue
2) ditto
3) might not be so great for some folks that like more action...good to go for me
5) we don't need it, NP
7) ugh, but at least they do not force a gamespy login/lobby - this is kinda like RTW and a couple of other games
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

REAL men use iron sights. Wimps use scopes
Really? I'd be inclined to say, if you're foolish enough to let the enemy close enough to hit you with his stick then be my guest.
Anyhow, I've been using iron sights for twenty four years, and I can tell you, there isn't a game or sim that accurately depicts the sensation and feel of using an iron sight, so they should stick to something they simulate half-decently (like scopes, LOL!)

As for the preview, sounds promising.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

KODIAK wrote:
REAL men use iron sights. Wimps use scopes
Anyhow, I've been using iron sights for twenty four years, and I can tell you, there isn't a game or sim that accurately depicts the sensation and feel of using an iron sight, .

I heard that Americas Army was supposed to simulate the use of iron sights very well. Is that not your impression? I'm curious to know!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

my impression is that AA does quite well. so does OFP.
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Having looked down the "iron sight" of a real gun, and then having done it in a game, it's a LOT harder in real life. In a game, you NEVER worry about the front and back of the sight getting misaligned. Then there's the whole "sight bloom" deal that gets affected by injury, speed, fatigue, etc, which may or may not be accurate in a given game.

Actually, the closest thing to firing a real gun on a PC is gunnery in Il-2 with a TrackIR. If you move your head around the bullets won't go where the sight is pointing, just like a real gun!

Oh, and to those morons who think computer games train killers, NOT A CHANCE. There's just no comparison. It can teach tactics, sure, but the motions your hands make with a mouse and keyboard staring at a monitor is nothing like holding a gun. That old Nintendo duck shooting game was closer!
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Wouldn't say so myself, but to be honest realism isn't something you're going to get on a 2D screen anyway. And maybe that's where it falls down for me, and not so much the game itself - your SA simply isn't there on a 2D screen. I still think that movement (whilst making use of your sight) in OFP and AA are still awkward. Firstly, because it is too sensitive in situations that it shouldn't be. Secondly, because you aren't so much controlling your body, but controlling the mouse so you are telling your body to do different things to achieve what you would do naturally without even thinking (kinda unavoidable - I know!). Finally, without that SA the rest of your senses ar dulled, and that DOES the same to your reactions too, as you play.
Now, I'm not dissing AA, OFP. They do well considering the engine used to achieve a result. To achieve more would require more/better programming, hence more time, and inevitably more money - our games/sims would be twice, three . . .ten times the price. And no doubt to make full use of them would require better hardware too.
I guess sometimes it's easy to look for too much from such games considering what nthey are.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i've probably looked down more iron sights than most people here, and not just looked... the exceptions MIGHT be Kodiak, Buff and Raptor. might not be everyone though.

AA and OFP do a credible job of modeling iron sights. they are games! so take it with a grain of salt and think in context of a game. you folks are intelligent enough to do so. suspension of disbelief is the name of the game, and having fun at doing things that are really not all that fun in real life. challenge, while not being physically, emotionally or mentally overly challenging is probably a good balance that we and the game producers/designers strive for?

so, my impression is that OFP and AA do a credilble job of modeling iron sights. ;)
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

You post was very well put Steel. I see the point you are making. :)

As for me, I WANTED very much the opportunity to look down some iron sights but my open heart surgery disqualified me in Uncle Sam's eyes. :cry:
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Yes, absolutely. A credible job for sure, but in that 'sterile' environment, and of course that area is where there will always be a struggle - the immersion factor I guess.