doom3 vs quake 4 vs ut2004

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

doom3 vs quake 4 vs ut2004

Post by Hammer »

any opinions?

any good MP coop mods for either?

any good 'realism' mods that are still sci-fi but a bit more life-like (i.e. no powerups).

who has these games?

anyone interested in just plain old tdm to ctf? we don't usually play games like that and it could be a good change of pace? anyone know o9f good servers to play on?

or should we try reconsidering AA? or another thought is far cry??? what is MP like in that? coop?
Helmut
Gator

Post by Gator »

I have UT04 and Doom3. Farcry has good mp, but not coop. There's always CS or HLDM ... use the gravity gun to throw stuff at the other team. I still have AA installed. Not sure about mods for those games.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
PanzerMeyer

Re: doom3 vs quake 4 vs ut2004

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote: any good MP coop mods for either?

Coop mod for Doom 3 and the expanison "Resurrection of Evil"

http://lms.d3files.com/

I currently have Doom 3 and ROE installed and I would certainly like to try out the COOP mod. I dont own Quake 4 and I have not had UT 2004 installed now for several months.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

hmmm...might be o.k. i am not really into the zombie/monster thing though which is why i never really got into doom... at least in quake the strogg are something like the borg, making it entirely believeable. :D
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

No Q4 coop mods I'm aware of.
UT coop was limited, though, since there was no CP campaign and it was largely just DM with bots.

Doom 3 certainly had the best working one.
The Jedi Master
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I have all 3 actuality. I LOVED UT 2004 and am eagerly awaiting 2007. Its a great game if you want to play online, especially different game types. I use to do a lot if invasion and loved it as its team play and defently involved stragity on the servers I played on (lots of custom mods).

Quake 4 was fun for a solo game. Its online game left a lot to be desired as it was nothing but quake there, hell even had all the same maps. But as a solo game it was fun.

Doom 3, well it took me about 1 hr to get completely bored here and remove it form my computer. O look a dark corner, theirs a monster in there, better shoot now. And come on can't have a flashlight on the gun. the first mod came out in hr's for this game called the duck tape mod for doing just that.

So if you want online, UT all the way, you want solo Quake, you want to be bored out of your tree by a very repetitive and non inspired game, doom 3.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, i don't have my copy of ut2004 any more.

when is quake wars scheduled to be released?

ut2007?
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

quake wars ?? please someone tell me what this is. I like Quake so love to know info here.

Ok and for UT 2007, it was to be out 1/1/2007 but that has changed. From ebgames web site we have a date of 6/1/2007 which I believe is 6th month. but hopefully I am completely wrong but there is no hype about it right now so assuming summer 2007 ish.

edit
Soe info here, no real date has been anounced, tho rumered first 1/2 of 2007. Lets hope sooner then later. Well actually later is good as then I can have more tiem to build my next gaming pc :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_2007
Softball

Post by Softball »

Here is a link to the Official Quake Wars web site:
http://www.enemyterritory.com/main.html

The released date is listed as 3/1/07. We'll see about that, they always manage to push back releases.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

And O god Quake Wars looks FUN. Seams like there will be objectives meaning it could be a FUN online game. Could be the replacement for my old Ghost recon game. I miss those co op missions and dam I would love to get a game back in the group where we do that again. This could be it, as the new ghost recon realy an't done it nre can I even get the dam thign to work online lol.
Gator

Post by Gator »

not sure - quake wars looks like Battlefield2 to me. Several of us have it, but don't play it.
(the new patch for GRAW allows objectives in coop games, fwiw.)
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I have battlifield 2 and do enjoy it for a just kill it if it moves kind of game.

Um quake wars is not out yet form what I can tell, how do you have it ??

and I relay should try anf get ghost recon (new one) working on the internet again. The key apparently is valid, checked with tech support. but they are next to useless as all they say is that its my router (never had one when I tested last time) or my service provider blocking ports. but service provider blocking ports seams unlikely.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

agreed gator...how many of us do have BF2??? I do, you and SB? anyone else? i know Mason and Raptor do play it...and Raptor knows some folks that do.

quake wars would be futuristic, so that would - for me - dispell some of the disbelief due to lack of realism...

ut2007 would probably always be a good buy since there WILL be mods for it.

i woulkd be up for some BF2 for now though, just to see if we, as a group, can play and enjoy this type of game. i would like to use the project reality mini mod as we have done in the past though.
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

I think I still have BF2 installed, but I'm guessing it's not up to the latest version.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Gator

Post by Gator »

there are some patches - no one needs the add ons.

I don't have quake wars - my opinion is from gameplay videos I have watched. It really doesn't look that futuristic to me. It really looked current-gen (militarily).

With 500 GB of disk space, you know I've still got BF2 installed. Not sure what the current reality mod version is - I'll check it out.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Project Reality: http://www.realitymod.com/
I'm downloading the "mini" mod now ... 1.6GB!!!
Mini my a$$.

FWIW ... version .4 and requires BF2 1.4
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i wonder if it works with 1.41? i updated this weekend (for Nidia's cousins...).
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the last version was 922MB...

and quake wars is not yet released...
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i have the 'mini' mod installed now as well...
Helmut
Gator

Post by Gator »

I am also patched to 1.41.

Based on your other thread, I'll check and see if there's any specifically for coop mode.