Combat Mission: Shock Force

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Combat Mission: Shock Force

Post by Softball »

I ran across an ad for this in my recent PC Gamer magazine. After doing a bit of research and browsing, I just might have to get this when it gets released in July 07. It's like the previous Combat Mission style games, but it offers both Real Time (Pausable) and Turn Based (We Go Method). AND it's using "modern era" units and equipment. PDT_Armataz_01_01

Check it out here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/news.html

--------------------------------------------

At it's core, Combat Mission: Shock Force is a military simulation depicting a hypothetical near-future conflict in Syria following a fundamentalist coup d’état. As in Afghanistan 2001, the radical new government's refusal to shut down major terrorist organizations and its' regional destabilizing effect, compel NATO Coalition forces into action.

The initial release of Combat Mission: Shock Force focuses on the actions of the US Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (SBCT) and Heavy Brigade Combat Teams (HBCT) as they fight against Syrian Army Infantry, Mechanized and Armored units. Combat Mission: Shock Force also features Unconventional Threat forces such as terrorists, spies, suicide bombers, IED's and other deadly tools employed in the asymmetric warfare of the modern day.

Along with the standard Red vs. Blue engagements typified in most wargames, Combat Mission: Shock Force will also allow players to fight Red vs. Red (Syria vs. Syria) and Blue vs. Blue (NATO vs. NATO) battles as well.

--------------------------------------------

HERE'S A FEW FEATURES:

Both RealTime (pausable) or WeGo (turn based) game modes offered

Detailed, story driven, semi-dynamic campaign as told from the NATO perspective

Stand alone (non-campaign) battles

Multiplayer modes with Internet, LAN, PBEM, and Hotseat play

Red vs. Blue (Syrian vs. NATO), Blue vs. Blue, and Red vs. Red play options

Full featured Game and Map Editor, create your own battles and maps or edit existing ones

Configurable Quick Battle Generator

Customizable Orders of Battle from meticulously researched TO&E

Map sizes as tiny as 224mx224m up to a massive 16 square kilometers

Play large scale battles or small platoon sized firefights

Conduct combat operations in dense urban settings with buildings up to 8 stories high

Over a hundred different terrain types including dozens of different buildings styles

Windows and doors of buildings explicitly simulated, and their placement and appearance editable

Click here for more features: http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/features.html

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

there is a lot of reservation about this game due to the recent issues with Theater of War.

i did not think the Combat MIssion series did real time and was turn based only, hence the reason i have never tried them (hate turn based).
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

This is true, the original Combat Mission games were "We Go" turn based, both sides made their moves(at the same time), clicked ready, and they played out in 60 seconds in real time at the same time. Whatever happened, happened.

This new version is supposed to have both Real Time and Turn based, you get a choice.

I agree with you on ToW, and I'll likely wait for reviews or a demo on CM:SF before I buy. I still like ToW, yes there are things that need to be fixed, but I am hoping they will address the issues over time.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

sure does look like it will/should be real time. looks like it might be a must have - but we will see. did they say who the developer is?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut