MoA: airborne

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

MoA: airborne

Post by VEGETA »

Well I was a MASSIVe addict to the MoA Allied Assult series. I was ranked in the top 3% of players at one point even, becoming proficient with every weapon from the shot gun to even being a crack shot with a bolt action rifle with one shot kills ticking people off with tommy guns. So then Pacific assault hit and was one MASSIVE bomb, and allied Assault was still the king in the series. Just released is Airborne, which I have put a little time into.

So first off, it is the unreal 3 engine, so even tho I am running on dead low graphic settings the thing looks good. But my laptop should be able to run the game with higher graphic settings then it is, but hell I even have to turn down the audio quality to make the game playable. There is issues with the game being choppy, but should be fixed in a patch or 2. Another fix on the way is the fact there custom online listing system right now shows 0 ping for everyone, minor and will be fixed soon. Released without a dedicated server, ok sucks but can live. Non dedicated servers are limited to 12 players, but as long as when dedicated server hits week of 17th this month, they support at least 24 players I think it will be ok. I would hope for at least 32 players per server tho because Allied Assult could support that.

So buggy right now, typical EA standard, make us beta test the game, sucks but everyone seams to be doing this these days. So after getting the game playable, I did a few rounds, and I did enjoy it. Kick on the weapons seams overkill. the maps I got to play where re created Allied assult maps, more places you can move to but same maps which is great to be honest. there are new maps as well. There is no true prone which dose suck but this is not meant to be a realistic WW2 shooter, anyone who thinks so is nuts. The airdrop option is rather fun letting you get on roof tops easy on spawn. Issue with 12 player maps tho is it becomes sniper hunt, need more players. Springing you get this odd blur effect basilcy you can't run and gun but thats normal in a lot of shooters these days. I do think there is to much bobbing ands such of the ton when you are running waling and some may find it makes them sick (heard this once or twice). sounds where great you run and you make more sound then when you walk, so sneaking up on people no running idea but sounds good to me.

I think the game has some good potential but some bigs and issues to fix. Hopping with the server release in a few weeks I can really see how the game goes. I would not buy it now, but wait a few weeks and see if they fix issues, especially the low FPS people are getting. I think once the major bugs are fixed, modders will step in and fix little things like the recoil and such with mods like occurred in allied Assault. I just wish EA would have made this more or less Allied Assault 2 as that is what was the big one on the PC.
Softball

Post by Softball »

I'll presume you mean MoH (Medal of Honor)? ;)

No prone position? Jeez! Wasn't there another game we have played with no prone position? I can't remember which game it was.

Veg, have you played Hidden and Dangerous 2? Now THAT is a damned fine WWII shooter. If you do not have it, I highly recommend it. I actually wouldn't mind playing that again.

Thanks for the mini review.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I will do more when the patch comes out as 12 player games in that game are not enough.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

HD2 and Sabre Squadron are very cool, but definitely geared towards single player and head to head - not coop. The coop hack was only so-so...
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Not coop? I clearly remember us playing MP COOP missions in HD2.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

"The coop hack"...

coop was never built in for the missions.
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

It's been so long, I honestly can't remember how we did it. I do remember playing MP COOP though and it wasn't to shabby.

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

There was no coop with the stock game. The addon Sabre Squadron added coop for the missions that came with it (9 of them).
Hacked missions from the stock game were later made to let you play a large number of the stock missions coop, but that was the only "hack".
It really was no different than simply DLing and installing the maps.
The Jedi Master