Softball

C&C Red Alert 3 Announced

Post by Softball »

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Let me guess, you're buying it right? lol
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

I will buy it - I will probably not buy the CnC3 Expansion. I always liked the Red Alert universe better than the original CnC universe. I have this thing about alternate history timelines, etc.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

mechwarrior 2 and red alert where the first 2 games I payed for, anything else was older small games that ran on a 360 on a non colured monitor. So ya they own me its on my shopping list. My big issue tho is its EA and to be honest EA last few years has pumped out a large amount of crap games and very few good oneas and I avoid them a lot now , so think I will wait for reviews and a demo first as I am sick of EA burning me
Softball

Post by Softball »

Yes, I will be getting this.

I'm in the same boat as Gator, I'll probably not get the C&C 3 expansion unless it's on sale at GoGamer for cheap. C&C 3 wasn't "bad", but there is only so many times you can play the same maps over and over, and the zoom level just sucks after playing Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire. I think ALL future RTSs should take a good look at the zoom level of their games, and make it like SC and SE.

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

What makes me mad about having all of these nice zoom levels in RTS's is that I barely ever get to use it because the matches are usually so hectic and fast that I dont have time to zoom in and admire all the pretty units and terrain. LOL

Almost always I just end up using the farthest out zoom setting and never switching from that. I like to be able to see whats happening on the entire map at all times.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Gator

Post by Gator »

I think what SB was saying is that he doesn't use the close in zoom levels that are common on most RTSs. I know I've found that even if I "use the farthest out zoom setting" that it's not nearly far enough out after having played SupCom and SE.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Softball

Post by Softball »

Actually Panzer, the zoom level I am talking about is where you can zoom out for an overview of the battlefield, and then zoom in to where your cursor is on the screen. Both Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire do this and I love it.

What I can't stand is, in C&C 3 and Dawn of War you are zoomed out as far as you can go on the screen, and even at 1920x1200 resolution, you are way too close. I could care less about seeing the details on the units, I want to be able to manage and tactically move my units around the battlefield without having to scroll like mad to see everything.