Itchin for some RTS goodness.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Softball

Itchin for some RTS goodness.

Post by Softball »

I was online with Gator and Veg last night playing Demigod and I it got me thinking about some of the older RTS games we used to play. World in Conflict, Command and Conquer 3, Red Alert 2 or 3 ( ? ), etc... I'm going look for my CDs and get some of these reinstalled. World in Conflict was a pretty fun RTS in MP COOP, it forces you to work together. There is an expansion (Soviet Assault) for WiC as well.

Anyone else up for some older RTS games?

EDIT: You can buy the World in Conflict Gold edition (Download, Original and expansion) for $20.
http://digitalstore.ubi.com/178/7765/pr ... n-Download

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

How about Company of Heroes? We've really not played that one much at all as a group.

I tried the World in Conflict demo but the game speed was just way too fast for me. I never saw any setting in the game that allowed you to slow it down.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

is there not a newer C&C? or is it not released yet?
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Command and Conquer 4 is not out yet.

Softball

WiC

Post by Softball »

*BUMP*

Steam has the World in Conflict: Complete Package (Original + expansion) for $9.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1471/

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

ugh. hate steam. i like having the media. can you download the media via steam and burn your own dvd's? how does license mgmt work?
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

Copying the downloaded games to a CD/DVD is not necessary, and I'm not sure it's possible. Steam keeps track of all of your games installed and are controlled by Steam. My best experience with Steam was when I built my new gaming computer. I installed Steam on the new computer and Steam automatically downloaded all of the games I had installed on my other computer. I did not need to break out the CDs/DVDs to reinstall the games, Steam did all of the work for me. You will need to make sure you install Steam to a HD that has enough space for all of your Steam games, as you do not get to decide where the games are installed (They are installed in the Steam directory). Now, if Steam was to ever go out of business, which I doubt, then you would have a problem accessing your games. And if the Steam servers are down (It has happened to me once), you won't be able to play any Steam games.

Overall, I have been pretty happy with the Steam service. Yea, you sacrifice some control but it sure is convenient.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

"if the Steam servers are down (It has happened to me once), you won't be able to play any Steam games."

that does it for me. it is not fair that you can not play a game because they have an issue. if they would allow you some amount of ability to play even if their servers are down, then i might go for it.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:"if the Steam servers are down (It has happened to me once), you won't be able to play any Steam games."
That is not entirely accurate. You can play Steam games in "offline" mode. There is a setting for it in the options. However, games that rely on Steam for their multiplayer match-making service like Left 4 Dead will indeed not be available if Steam is down.
Softball

Post by Softball »

/agree with what Panzer said. The one time that happened to me was in fact Left 4 Dead 2. *shrug* If it's any consolation, the $20 offer still stands from my original post. That is a couple of DL files that you can burn to DVD.

daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Remember you can back up your game to DVD format if you wish. I have not tried to burn it after that but one of my games as we speak is backed up as they call it to a .iso file.

I found something in the UBISoft download section that you RTS freaks will love, atleast I think you will.

http://digitalstore.ubi.com/0/8758/prod ... n-Download
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU