SBPPE starter

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

SBPPE starter

Post by Hammer »

good thread on how to get into the game. the meat of it is on page 2 by MDF.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/sho ... hp?t=20323

Start with the M1A1 -- it's perhaps a tad simpler than the Leo2A4.

1) do all the tutorials for the M1A1.

2) Do the "Tank Range" mission for the M1A1 (it's available from the main SB Pro PE screen). Practice until you get a good score, in terms of high hit% and low time-to-kill. This is a special mission which determines the skill level for your AI gunners in any offline mission you play.

3) play the Instant Action scenario for the M1A1 a bunch of times. It's basically a gunnery exercise, but the targets shoot back.

4) Do the "Tanks!" mission. In this one, you operate a lone M1A1 roaming around a 5x5km zone with 9 x T-72/80s moving around randomly. It's a good way to practice using the tank tactically, maintaining situation awareness, etc. Mission can be downloaded here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads...p13_fileid/817

It's a difficult mission, though. Don't expect to win right away.

5) Play through GaryOwens' "Camp Hornfeldt" series: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads...13_fileid/1858

I would recommend leaving missions 1 and 6 for last, because they are by far the most difficult of the series.

6) try any number of other smaller missions (i.e., where you control a platoon or less). Zipuli's "Tank Platoon in the Attack" and "Tip of the Spear" missions for the M1A1 are a good bet.

Definitely try to join in the Friday night online game at any point in the above process after #1. Also, it's probably best to have at least moderate familiarity with the map (F5 view) interface -- plotting routes, creating and sending mission graphics, etc., if you haven't developed that after the vehicle tutorial missions. Don't worry about being "good" -- i.e., tactically skilled, accurate gunnery, etc. Just let the CO for your side know that you are a beginner and he will assign you appropriately small force and tasks appropriate to your skill level. Other players generally are willing and happy to answer questions, but bear in mind that they also typically are very busy operating their own units. That's why I say master the tutorials first. IMHO, it's OK to ask questions about intermediate or advanced aspects of gameplay and the interface, but if you are asking things like "how do I turn left" or "how do I get to the vehicle commander position," it's going to take other players away from focusing on their own assigned units, and players are often overtaxed commanding multiple platoons.

One last thing....

One of the most difficult things for me was understanding how the AI operates the other vehicles in your platoon. As Ssnake frequently says, you should read Chapter 8 of the SB manual very carefully to understand how units operate on routes. One of the most puzzling things for me was getting a grasp on why and how AI vehicles move around at battle positions. The AI does some things well and other things poorly. It's critical to understand which is which and plan accordingly.

I'll add an "Item 7" as an addendum to my earlier "curriculum", based on something I just posted on another website...

To get a feel for the online Friday night game, check out the videos of some recent TGIF sessions uploaded by one of the participants (Rotar): Rotar's YouTube page

N.B. that the Friday night game is more informal (i.e., informal radio procedures; loose command hierarchy; real-world doctrine generally not employed; relatively brief planning phases, etc.) than the multiplayer missions conducted by some of the VUs. For an example of some of the more "structured" MP sessions, have a look at the videos posted from the United Operations VU: UO SB videos

Also, SB veteran "Cobrabase" has uploaded dozens of videos from his single-player sessions: Cobrabase's YouTube page

He gives the user interface a good workout, so it's helpful in gaining familiarity with the numerous tools at your disposal, as well as some of the AI drawbacks, etc. A number of other SB users have uploaded their own videos, but Cobrabase's is the most extensive collection, as far as I know
Helmut