Elden Ring -- Anyone else playing this?

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Elden Ring -- Anyone else playing this?

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So I have close to 11 hours in the game and I'd like to share my initial experiences.

This game has an incredible amount of lore and world-building and the aesthetic is just gorgeous.

The combat has been both fun AND frustrating. I've made the rookie mistake of misunderstanding how the playable game world works. I didn't realize just how open ended it is with regards to exploration. I have now stumbled upon several "bosses" and other enemies who were much stronger than me and of course I died. There is absolutely no hand-holding here with warnings on which parts of the map should be off-limits if you are still a relatively low level character.

It's also quite apparent that the combat is optimized for a game controller/pad and NOT a keyboard and mouse. Sorry but I'm not switching so I will learn how to manage with a keyboard and mouse.

I also checked out the Steam forums for this game and found post after post from people complaining about just how difficult the combat is so I'm glad I'm not the only one. biggrin

Anyway, is anyone else here playing the game?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
MasonSatchmo

Re: Elden Ring -- Anyone else playing this?

Post by MasonSatchmo »

I am playing the HECK out of this game at the moment .
I’m super addicted to both the PVE and PVP. I’ve got about 50 hours logged and am almost done my first run through the game , and already looking forward to my second run lol.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

MasonSatchmo wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 11:23
I am playing the HECK out of this game at the moment .
I’m super addicted to both the PVE and PVP. I’ve got about 50 hours logged and am almost done my first run through the game , and already looking forward to my second run lol.
Oh wow, the game is that short? Only 50 hours and you are almost done with the main storyline? What level is your character?

I'm not even going to attempt PVP because the opposition will just wipe the floor with my dead body!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
MasonSatchmo

Post by MasonSatchmo »

The game is about 100 hours for all the main content , but I skipped a whole bunch and just fought a few of the main bosses . I believe the record for fastest speed run is like 18 minutes currently lol . This game is so incredible . The combat has weight and motion nailed down to a science, and stamina control is critical . I’ve beaten the game up to this point basically naked just parrying everything ….the godskin duo fight was brutal lol.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Melina...sup!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yeah I'm still getting the hang of parrying. My timing is still a bit off about half the time. I guess my reflexes aren't the same as they were when I was in my 20's. LOL
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I'm sure you know that Elden Ring is the successor to the Dark Souls franchise, and those were the successor to Demon Souls. These games are notoriously difficult, and as such they have acquired a cult following. FromSoft games are both beautiful and brutal, and absolutely brilliant. You think Elden Ring is hard? Then try playing the original Dark Souls! I've played Darks Souls 1 and 2 thus far, and plan on playing Dark Souls 3 in the next year. Then, I'll buy Elden Ring. I wish they would port Demon Souls to PC. I absolutely love these games because they are so very hard and the lore is so great.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

There are some types of gamers who hate dying more than a couple of times when they are playing a game so "Elden Ring" is definitely NOT for them. For now I'm just grinding my character by fighting weaker guys so I can level up enough so I can then take on the tougher enemies.
MasonSatchmo

Post by MasonSatchmo »

I am an absolute souls fanboy ever since demon souls . I actually am a fromsoft fan from the days of armoured core ! I hear they’re working on a successor to that so I am VERY pumped , as I feel they did the weight of mech combat properly ! Dark souls 3 is absolutely legendary Grifter , you’re gonna love it . I tend to push the masochism to the max with souls games , typically trying to beat them naked with wooden club and partying buckler lol.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

LOL You are definitely hardcore mason.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yeah, I'm pumped to start playing DS3. I'm just buried now under paperwork and side projects. But, looking forward to it soon. :-)
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I played Elden Ring for 2 hours yesterday and did not die even once! I'm making progress it seems.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm level 34 now and still exploring the huge world that is the "Lands in Between".
Softball

Post by Softball »

This is on my radar for sure. Waiting for a Steam sale and then I'll pick it up. I have several games to hold me over, so yea, I can wait.
I hear it's an outstanding game. Have you played MP / coop Panzer? Just curious how that is.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The game really is fantastic Softball and I now have about 285 hours in the game and I haven't even finished the main story yet! In my opinion this blows away any Elder Scrolls game. The combat just has a visceral feeling to it and it is very punishing if you make mistakes. Yeah, I've died a lot in this game but I paid my dues and my character now is pretty kick ass and I kill enemies a lot more now than I die!

I have not tried the MP yet. I might do Coop but definitely not PVP.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

By the way, it's nice seeing you on the forums again Softball. It's been a very long time since I last saw a post from you!
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm level 189 now and I'm nearing the final phase of the game. This has been one hell of a ride.
Softball

Post by Softball »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 03:36
By the way, it's nice seeing you on the forums again Softball. It's been a very long time since I last saw a post from you!
I mostly lurk on the forums. I've seen you guys on comms (TS), but we are all doing our own thing. Destiny 2 has been my go to game of late. But yea, Im around and I get daily email updates from the forums. :)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Softball wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 21:11
but we are all doing our own thing. Destiny 2 has been my go to game of late.
And that's perfectly fine and understandable of course. We all have different gaming interests which sometimes coincide. I'm sure all online gaming groups have the same situation.