Kola Map Now Available

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Kola Map Now Available

Post by Bones »

The Kola map just went up for sale. For those of you who have flown Jane's F/A-18 back in the day, this is basically the North Cape map that JF-18 was based on. So far it looks good.

$55 on Steam, dunno what it is on ED.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: Kola Map Now Available

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Do we as a group plan on doing missions and campaigns on Kola? If yes then I'll get it.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I suppose that depends on if MP missions are available for it or if we make some.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
04 May 2024, 08:08
I suppose that depends on if MP missions are available for it or if we make some.

v6,
boNes

Thanks for that reply. Since 95% of my time in DCS is in multiplayer I'll hold off on Kola for now.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I'm holding off. I read a review from a mission builder and he said that there are so many trees and forest areas that if you placed units there, the DCS bug where trees absorb impact would make it near impossible to kill anything hiding there. There aren't many open areas to place things where they can be hit, so it would make for very ho hum routine attacking of targets.

v6,
boNes
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I have enough trouble hitting enemies when they park half inside buildings or right in downtown of a small city on most of the maps. I can't imagine it would be easier with all the indestructible trees Orbix makes some great flight sim sceneries for MSFS and XP though so I'm sure the map looks beautiful.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I got it, haven't spent much time with it naturally. I didn't see a lot of trees. Unless they were all in the very southern part of the map, a significant portion of this is north of the treeline I believe?
Of course it's not nearly close to complete, so perhaps more will come later.

Went back and took another look. There are more trees than I thought, but I would say still no more than Caucasus. Some areas are dense, some have scattered, some have none.

Unless you're going to be anal about saying "the targets MUST be located within X km of this or that airfield/city" you can easily place stuff all over the place with little trees.

Personally, I find targets inside urban areas the worst. They will park literally clipping into a building and we're required to destroy them to progress and usually the only way is to hover directly overhead and drop a bomb vertically on their head.
The Jedi Master