Afghanistan

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Afghanistan

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Do we as a group have plans for flying missions in the Afghanistan map? I'm asking because I will base my purchasing decision on this.

Thanks.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Re: Afghanistan

Post by Cr33p3r »

I bought it for $56 I think. I have only loaded it up to see it. Its about the size of 3 or 4 typical DCS maps. The Southwestern portion has the most detail so far. I haven't explored it yet but plan to. I'll do some exploring and post pictures.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I looked for it during the Steam summer sale with intent to buy it but I didn't see it, so I think it was either not offered for the sale, or it wasn't offered in time for the sale.

I will probably still get it.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

It is being referred to by some as "Halfganistan". I have not purchased it yet. I have heard that it was rushed out, and does not contain much detail outside of a small area - but haven't really read much about it to know if that is indeed true. ED seems to be rushing a lot of things out the door that are likely pre-alpha state lately, and it has been suggested there is a cash problem because they aren't paying RB and the IP claim against RB is looking more and more like it is just made up. Also, ED is continuing to sell all RB products and is pocketing the money, giving none of it to RB. I have a big problem with that. I am hesitant to give ED any more money.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

LOL! I like that: "Halfganistan".
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

So thank you to a benevolent person who bought me the Afghanistan map for my birthday last week...I am enjoying it greatly. Yes, there are only a handful of airbases to fly to/from, but the detail is great and the scenery is too. I actually found a Through the Inferno Afghanistan version and I don't know if they had just updated all the TTIs, but this one is so much different from the ones that we flew. The missions keep getting randomly generated rather quickly, complete with the waypoints perpetually being updated in your nav system, there are more voiceovers, and the enemy is pretty active. The only thing is they have some weird choices for enemies. I had to attack some red team M1A1s several times. I dunno, maybe they were leftover from the hast US withdrawal?

The other problem is that enemy air is there but rarely spawn near you. On average, they spawn 100+ miles away--but even weirder is that the Taliban have any air assets to attack you with anyway. But hey, alternate multiverse, right?

It's still fun and I am enjoying it. With the rolling missions, it would give us much to do in MP, but I have to admit I miss the point system--I'm spoiled. Since the map isn't fully developed yet, I can see there only being a few airbases. But most missions spawn near Kandahar so it's a short flight, even for helos.

Some vids below:

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot