AV-8B cockpit build

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Re: AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Xpendable »

In the real Harrier, the seat has an electric motor for raising and lowering it. The seat does not move forwards or backwards, but the pedals are on a rail that can be moved closer or further away from the pilot. I'm thinking about making my pedals do the same. It would not be terribly hard to mount pedals to a slide rail and use a worm drive to move them back and forth. As for raising and lowering the seat... I might attempt that by buying an electric and seat lift mechanism if I can on for not too much money. I also have the actual seat back pad and head rest pad from a real AV-8B coming. It was actually used on a real Harrier but it in good condition. These snap on and off with snaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

That’s amazing. Must’ve been expensive to get the real padding? Why get an electric motor to raise or lower the seat? Just for authenticity’s sake?
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I paid $100 total for both pads, so it was not too bad. I won't be able buy much real parts as they are mostly not existent or not publically available (and probably would not be affordable even if they were). Part of the fun is trying to recreate these things as best as I can. It won't be exact, but it will be close enough. Someone just posted prelimary designs and prototypes for a reproduction of the Harrier throttle that looks bad ass. I am hoping he releases the plans and 3d models because it looks really good.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I may have to ditch the motorized raising and lowering of the seat. There are not any easy, inexpensive solutions that I could find after a couple of hours of searching. It can be added later, though.