AV-8B cockpit build

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Re: AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Grifter »

Wow, highly detailed. Looks like it will be a tight fit.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Thanks, Grifter. Tight fit, yes... I picked a small cockpit, didn't I? I hope I fit! The Harrier may have not been the best choice for a 6'6" dude. If I don't fit, I guess I'll just have to lose weight. LOL!

I redid the glare shield for the 100th time (or so it seems). This time it's actually pretty accurate. You would not believe how tedious creating that shape was, even with the reference from the Razbam model. Because of the non-planar curvatures, I had to create 3 profiles, and then create 3 copies of those profiles, scale them down, then I had to manually create lines between each of the points on the profiles, then I had to manually create each of the surfaces 1 at a time for each face. None of the sweeps, lofts, or Gordon Surface methods worked for this shape. Anyway, the glare shield is done. Now I can get back to working on the structural design, which has a long way to go. The structure you see here is just a rough draft as I figure out the construction geometry and materials I plan to use. I can't wait to start building this thing for real.

Last night did a quick test with an Arduino and DCS-BIOS, and a servo. I initially had a problem that took a long while to solve - I finally figured out I had installed an old version of DCS-BIOS from 2017 and I needed to manually remove a line of code from the export.lua before the new version could go in. Once I did that, I was able to get a servo horn to represent the position of the Harrier's nozzle needle gauge with 1 line of code, thanks to the Arduino library they created for DCS-BIOS. This makes it all too easy! But I am not complaining. Here's a video of the test:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Not an AV8B - But saw this and thought of you Xpen.....

Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Thanks. There are several Apache simpits being built right now, I believe... and there are already working 3d-printed TEDAC's that have been built, such as this one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Wow Xpendable, I'm really in awe of your hardcore flight sim status. PDT_Armataz_01_01
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Just to be clear, that Apache TEDAC is not mine. Pretty cool, though! I am tempted to build one (without a working screen, though).
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Ok, peeps. This stuff finally got real. As a father's day present to myself, I spent 8 hours today getting a start on actually building the SJU-4/A ejection seat for the Harrier. Construction has begun!

I got up early and had to do some planning to figure out how best to lay out some of the parts on a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF board. After spending some time on that, it was off to Home Depot. First I had to remove Nate's car seat and get the 2nd and 3rd rows down. I purchased 1 board of 3/4" and one board of 1/2" MDF. This is the first time I've ever bought full sheets without having to get the Home Depot staff to cut it down into manageable sections to fit my previous cars. This is the first time I've ever owned an actual truck (Chevy Suburban), and it can fit these full size sheets laid flat and still have plenty of room to close the rear hatch.

My wife gave me strict requirements that I have to do all of my cutting by the parkway (end of the driveway) due to the huge dust fiasco I created a few years ago when I built the arcade cabinet. Back then I cut all the MDF in the garage and got a thick layer of particle dust on EVERYTHING. I swear, my wife almost divorced me after that. I wasn't about to make that mistake again! So I set up show at the end of the drive way.

Then it was back inside to figure out how to get the measurements from my FreeCAD model that I had created. Fortunately, this turned out to be pretty easy. There is a TechDraft workbench that projects a view of the selected object into a technical drawing, and from there, it's just a few clicks to get the measurement lines and labels. I printed some of the more complicated parts as single drawings, and a few other parts were collated into a single drawing.

Now, the time consuming part. I have to transfer the measurements to the MDF board using a ruler, adjustable square, and pencil. It probably took me 40 minutes to transcribe the first part on to the MDF. I had cut the 3/4" board in half and had originally planned to clamp them together so I could cut out 2 parts at once since I needed 2 with the exact same shape. Unfortunately, I realized before I started that my jig saw blade is not long enough for this. So... I had to cut 1 piece at a time. I cut the first piece, then just traced it out for the 2nd piece and cut. I think I cut about 13 pieces today. I didn't attach 2 pieces because I need to cut out some other pieces before they can properly be placed.

Anyway, here's a few pictures.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Some of the parts, and test assembly
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

That's some cool stuff! I'm sure your wife will understand. There are far worse hobbies when you're a dad. That simpit is pretty ambitious but looks like you've had some good practice. Love the Cessna cockpit too.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

my wife will never understand.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Perhaps you could set it on casters so that you can easily store it when not in use. Might make it more palatable to the missus? Looks like it's coming along!
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thats awesome Xpen.

Im so glad your projects becoming real. A few of us may be living via your experience right now PDT_Armataz_01_34
Project like that looks challenging and fun.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Grifter wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 07:13
Perhaps you could set it on casters so that you can easily store it when not in use. Might make it more palatable to the missus? Looks like it's coming along!
Well, I actually bought casters for the seat so that I can easily build a roller frame so that I can roll it around while I am still working on it. Once it is in the cockpit, I won't be using those. Unless you meant the entire cockpit itself. The cockpit is going to be too big to roll around and it really wouldn't make sense anyway. It's going in the basement in a fixed position next to my arcade machine and I have super plush carpet down there. I do plan to make it in 4 sections that will come apart, but each of those sections are going to be a bit heavy considering the frame is mostly going to be made from MDF, which is a heavy material.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Well I am not planning on building anything for my home SIM pit this post has inspired me that my next DCS plane will be the harrier
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 15:06
Well I am not planning on building anything for my home SIM pit this post has inspired me that my next DCS plane will be the harrier
...and he got it!

Caught him online last night past his bedtime flying around on it haha

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Nice! Well, if you need any lessons or help with the Harrier, let me know! I'm happy to help.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Spent a few more hours over the past weekend...
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thatls look great! I have the Mig21 pretty comfortable now. i'm going to focus back on harrier training so i can complement you on your strike missions.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

It's beginning to really take shape. :-)
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Xpendable wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 14:11
Spent a few more hours over the past weekend...
Looks good!