F/A-18 AGM-65F Issues

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

F/A-18 AGM-65F Issues

Post by Grifter »

So, as many of you know, I've been having trouble with the AGM-65F. I can get it to slave correctly from the TPOD, but it invariably misses its target. I asked about this issue on Hoggit, thinking there must be something I'm doing wrong. But two others said they were experiencing the same or similar issues with it. My guess is that it's not slaving accurately and that is leading to near misses, as was the case the other night. So I'm recommending we do the following: use the TPOD to find targets but then manually slew the Maverick eye onto the target without the TPOD's help. Hopefully, doing so will lead to better results.

I wonder if the Maverick will perform better with the new ATFLIR? Need to get read-in and trained on that tech. I imagine it will be better.
Jedi Master

Re: F/A-18 AGM-65F Issues

Post by Jedi Master »

I used the built-in seeker to find and attack targets and with the new ground stabilization it works better than ever. No more holding your plane in a precise attitude while doing it, once you get the seeker looking in the right area you can easily slew it around while the plane continues on its way without them flying off the side of the MFD.

You still have range/discrimination issues of course, but for TPOD-free usage it works better.
The Jedi Master
Bones

Post by Bones »

I mentioned this before but this problem goes way back---there is YouTube video I think from Redkite or someone where even they have trouble getting the IMAV to lock on to a target even though it is in the TPOD locked up and even said it depends on iff teh IMAV happens to be looking fromthe TPOD where it can pick up the target on its own. It really comes down to whether or not there is enough contrast in the heat signature for the IMAV to see it.

I just ran a test with the TPOD a few minutes ago. Normally, I lock up the target with the TPOD and uncage the IMAV and the IMAV looks at the target, or at least in the area near it. Then I then have to undesignate the TPOD then fine tune the IMAV by uncaging it and slewing it myself and hope it locks.

This time, I locked it with the TPOD and uncaged the Maverick as usual, but it must have had enough IR contrast to see the target immediately because it locked without my having to undesignate in the TPOD and slew the IMAV myself. Both Mavericks hit their target.

So I really think it depends on if the TPOD is looking at the target in such a way that the Maverick gets close enough to pick it up on its own. Otherwise, it is just getting the IMAV to look really close to the area and the rest you have to slew and fine tune.

Video is here:

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

Follow up:

Here is an excerpt from an email to me about that problem, and the YouTube video where the guy had the same issues:
GAZACE has some nice videos on this and he struggles as well, especially in an environment with a lot of contrasting clutter. Honestly, I've never gotten it to work. The Maverick gets distracted too easily.

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi Bones,

Thanks for the videos. I'll watch today with lunch. :-)

I thought the IMAV wouldn't launch if it didn't have a lock. I guess it's locking onto something, just not my intended target. Annoying. Like I said I think I will just look for the target with the TPOD to make sure I'm shooting at what I want to kill. Then, hopefully, there is enough space between targets that I can slew the IMAV onto that area without picking up the wrong target. I find the IMAV cam doesn't give enough detail and you can end of shooting a truck instead of the intended target, a tank. Maybe watching these vids will help. Thanks again.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Although to be fair, the only advantage the IR Mav has over the LG one is the fire-and-forget.
If you're outside their engagement range, the laser Mav will hit anything the TPOD can see without worries about whether the contrast is enough or not.
The Jedi Master
Bones

Post by Bones »

True about the IMAV display. Also that the BHOT/WHOT settings are completely useless.

Also true,Jedi, what you said.

v6,
boNes
Recluse

Post by Recluse »

Jedi Master wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 13:59
Although to be fair, the only advantage the IR Mav has over the LG one is the fire-and-forget.
If you're outside their engagement range, the laser Mav will hit anything the TPOD can see without worries about whether the contrast is enough or not.
Careful with the AGM-65E. It is broken in 2.7, or rather the TPOD is broken. Laser will not fire long enough for the Mav to impact at any decent range. I had the issue with the ATFLIR, but the Litening was fine. Other people saw it with both.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/268258-di ... nt-4633839
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

So I watched the video and took away two points. First, his primary point about infrared and physical object congestion in the target zone. Secondly, I think I have not been pressing the TDC designate button when I switch over to the MAV's DDI. I've been watching it slave to the TPOD and assumed that it was locking up on its own. So that's probably been my issue. Will try again this week and see.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Hmmm. Seems like there will be an update needed for the laser and TPODs.
The Jedi Master
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Does that apply to LGB's too? I imagine so, right? As usual, they fixed a lot and broke a lot at the same time. Apparently there are a number of bugs introduced by 2.7. Hopefully there is a hotfix coming.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

When I was testing out F-16, LGB's appear to work normally. I also found the new ATFLIR to be somewhat bugged - there were times when the display would go blank and I could never get the image to redisplay.
When it comes to Hornet IIR Mavericks, I also had to remember to press TDC while uncaged on MAV screen.
This is one area where I feel that Vipers HOTAS is better than Hornet's. I tend to get confused which button (TDC, or SCS) is used to lock target.
In Viper it's TMS UP 99% of time.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yeah that's more like the A-10 controls. I wonder if that's an Air Force thing.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I just checked about an hour ago and there was an update for the updater but nothing for the actual game yet.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

same - restarted server and the updater updated, but no actual DCS update.
Helmut
Recluse

Post by Recluse »

Grifter wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 06:22
Does that apply to LGB's too? I imagine so, right? As usual, they fixed a lot and broke a lot at the same time. Apparently there are a number of bugs introduced by 2.7. Hopefully there is a hotfix coming.
I had no issues with LGB's. Relatively shorter LASING time and a delay before the laser starts firing vs. continuous lasing for Long Range AGM-65E so it seemed to be OK.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks, Recluse. PDT_Armataz_01_34