Combat spread

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Combat spread

Post by Grifter »

I'm listening to a podcast about the F-106 and the former pilot described their combat spread as line abreast, I assume about a mile wide, with 10,000 feet of separation to maximize radar capability. He described this as a radar attack formation so that they could pick out their own target. Typically, we may go line abreast but not as far apart as we should, and don't stagger altitude most of the time. Perhaps we ought to adopt this approach for BVR? I'm thinking it would force the enemy to have make difficult choices if nothing else.

Another thought, somewhat related, in Vipers in the Storm, the author describes 8 miles of separation in trail for approach to IP. However, this is typically for spacing during bombing runs. Perhaps we ought to consider something like this as well? Although a tighter/closer race track is seemingly effective.
Bones

Re: Combat spread

Post by Bones »

See that pdf i sent you about tactical formations.

Attack formations in ground attack also depend on the situation, intel, and sometimes service.

For instance, in Lions of the Sky, that box formation is used where the leading edge of the box is the first wave and the trailing edge is the second. Then there's the low pop and high pop up attack, etc
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Are you referring to the AWI manual you sent me?
Bones

Post by Bones »

No the tactical formation manual I sent with it.
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

How's it going in Poland so far bones? You should post some pics. :-)
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Okay Bones. I'll take a look.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I’ve been reading Fighter Combat while here in PL. I’ve read about fighter wing formation and now am dissecting loose deuce. I like the theory behind them and can’t wait to put them in practice when I get back.

Combat spread is addressed in those formations.

v6,
boNes
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Is that the Fighter Combat by D.E. Shaw? I found it to be a bit dated in theory, but the info still relevant. Unfortunately one is left to fill in a lot of blanks on your own if you are not in the environment and able to glean info from others around you. It is also long in the tooth if you do not have a lot of time or need to sleep. ;)
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I’m reading it in chunks. I finished 60% of it and have nearly finished Vipers in the Storm. Then I’m going to read the Raven One books when I have time.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I also finished Lions of the Sky while I was here.

Also read up on my instrument flying and ForeFlight manual for my real life flying.

v6,
boNes