AV-8B cockpit build

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Re: AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Xpendable »

Started work on the circuit design that will drive the 5 ODU displays and buttons. These are the led 16x4+1 displays just above the left MFD. There are 330 individual LED segments that this circuit will be driving across 5 display module components. 66 segments per display. Next step is to build this out on some breadboards to test and confirm the design, and then to start designing the actual PCB - which will also require some 3D printed prototyping to ensure proper placement of the components so that the displays match up with the openings for them on the panel. Easier said than done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Some ODU progress...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I will be sanding, filling, sanding some more, filling some more, and sanding, then painting. Then I will laser cut some tinted windows for the lenses. Still need to finish designing the buttons and circuit board.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Testing ODU button designs...
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Lighting test for the ODU buttons.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

First couple of filler coats and sanding... Needs a few more. Eventually it will no longer look like it's 3D printed. Well, that's the hope, anyway!
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

This is great Xpen.... pieces are looking good.
adamstarckk

Post by adamstarckk »

I originally was going to do just a front upper instrument panel that would sit or clamp to the desk and be removable. I did some quick prototyping and decided it would be heavy and cumbersome. The C172 pit was a roll away cart. It worked, but was a pain. No, fold away is not what I am after. I want a full legit cockpit.
download apk

teatv
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

A few updates. Started work on the HUD and the UFC (up front controller)...

HUD modeled in FreeCAD.
FB_IMG_1700503197643.jpg
HUD 3D printed. Glass not installed yet.
20231127_132717.jpg
UFC modeling in FreeCAD. About 70% done.
FB_IMG_1706384441194.jpg
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Awesome work! I got my panel from the builder in Thailand and after several hours, finally got it working. I'm writing a tutorial for the panel developer. It works out of the box with MSFS2020 and a payware Fenix A320 but I had to program the inputs myself using the mobiflight program to get it to work in X plane. So excited! Not nearly as pretty and expansive as your setup Xpen but nice to have an overhead panel I can reach up to to flick buttons and now have to pan up and click with the mouse. ITs not pretty but works!
ovhd panel.PNG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

You guys are a heck of a lot more technically talented than I am!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

This cockpit is going to be legendary in the sim world.... really awesome work Xpen. Def a master of your craft.
Cammy9r

Post by Cammy9r »

Great looking sim pit. I started building one as well and I found finding information on dimensions really difficult. In the end I just scaled up the image from the av8 NATOPS to be just a bit bigger than the thrustmaster mfds and went with that.
It's for VR so I guess it only needs to be close. Could not find any harrier throttle models so just printed a F16 one, it's close enough for me.
Cammy9r

Post by Cammy9r »

This is how far I have gotten with the project. I really need to find a space to put it. Using a mix of Arduino and LeoBodnar to interface with the pc. The red knob is just an addition to use as another axis if needed it also has a switch at the end to use as parking brake. I reckon I can use this with the spitfire as well.
Last edited by Cammy9r on 30 Jan 2024, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Cammy9r wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 15:05
This is how far I have gotten with the project. I really need to find a space to put it. Using a mix of Arduino and LeoBodnar to interface with the pc. The red knob is just an addition to use as another axis if needed as I reckon I can use this with the spitfire as well.
That looks pretty good, Camm9r. Nice clean look. Although I fly with VR myself, I still wanted to be able to get mine as close as I can reasonably get it to look like the real thing, that includes all working displays and indicators. Sometimes I want to just be able to fly it without VR and practice procedures. I've obviously got a LONG way to go.

By the way, are you a member of our OpenHarrier community on Facebook? We have over 130 members at this point, would love for you to join there and show your cockpit.

Xpendable
Cammy9r

Post by Cammy9r »

Thanks.
I did not bother with accurate looks as actual dimension seemed elusive and felt I would spend too much time only to find a measurement was out as you did. That would bother me and I may become slightly obsessive :) with accuracy. I know me, if I start good enough I will be happy with good enough.
I have tried the simpit with VR running (although pit not working) and found the layout to be very close. When I reach out what I expect to be there is there. It's actually quite cool in a somewhat geeky way. However I think the UFC and MFDs are not going to be easy to use without some sort of reference guide or I may have to do the unthinkable.....sneak a peak.
I'm only just learning cad (fusion 360) and it's steep for me. I also picked up a 3018 cnc for engraving switch plates to make it a bit better looking.
In the end even what I have built is probably overkill for a sim. Would I like to do an authentic Harrier with chips scratches and all, absolutely. Could I commit the time to just one project, nope. This build has been 3 months with another 1-2 months left to find it a home and do wiring and switch plates.
I don't use facebook and would need to open an account. Usually stick to discord groups.
I will be watching your build, please keep it updated when you can.

Edit. just found this on ebay UK probably from a GR9. Genuine part.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

We have a Discord as well, although it is not as active. We have a Github repo as well. Go to openharrier.org to find it easily. There is not a huge amount on the repo as of uet, but it is growing. I have my ejection seat plans there (for the Stencil SJU-4A which is in most of the USMC Harriers).
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Yes, there are a few actual parts that come up for sale periodically. I know somebody who bought one of those. Unfortunately you will never find 90 percent of them. First of all, they built so few Harriers to begin with (380 total I think) which makes it a rarity. There are still 3 countries flying them, and most of the Harriers that were flying are being used to keep the remaining squadrons flying. I have a few parts myself, but not much. I have been searching for 3 years and they are really rare to come by.

The good news is you don't actually have to be perfect with your dimensions. Your brain actually has this amazing ability to compensate and calibrate where to move your hand. You could put a switch 2 inches to the left of where it should be, and while using VR, reaching out for that switch a few times will cause your brain to compensate and calibrate. You will miss the switch a few times, bit eventually you will land on the right place every time when you look at it in VR and reach out with your hand (which you can't see). Your brain has trained on where that switch actually is even though it doesn't physically match where it should be according to VR. Your brain adapts and compensates. It happens quickly. Your brain may have to readapt every time you sit in the pit because your seating position and VR centering might be slightly different each time you get in. Spend a few minutes calibrating your brain and you will be good to go.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I know you guys are in college with this stuff but here is my kindergarden panel. :)

I tried to do a video but ended up just taking pictures haha. With the Minicockpit controlle and the MCDU on my i-pad, My setup is pretty much complete. I did look at 3rd party MCDU's but they are upwards of $600. Some guy in Korean has a home-built one but the font is squished and it doesn't look at realsitic in my opinion.
PXL_20240130_123654485.jpg
Some day......
15k cockpit.PNG
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I've been working on replicating the radio preset selector display windows on the UFC (up front controller) on the Harrier. The real displays were made in the '80's and '90's and were vacuum florescent 16 segment displays where each segment was made with 3 little dots. These are fairly unique displays and nobody makes anything like them today - with the exception that TekCreations makes LED versions for the OpenHarrier cockpit for the options menus, which is what I'm using for the ODU as above. However, these are too big for the UFC radio preset displays, which should be 2 digit with a special colon character. TekCreations does not make anything like that.

I decided to try to mimic these unique displays by using an OLED display with 128x64 pixels. To emulate the dot pattern of the original displays, I'm using 5 pixels per dot (think of a north pixel, south pixel, west pixel, east pixel, and center pixel). The result is extremely convincing. These OLED displays are white only, but the plan is to put a green tinted film or a green transparent acrylic lens over the top to tint the display green. This actually would be very close to the real thing, because there is a green tint to these displays in real life even when the displays are off. Anyway, I shot a quick video tonight showing the displays working. I wrote custom code on the Arduino to mimic the dot patterns and replicating the fonts as seen on the real plane.