AV-8B cockpit build

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Xpendable »

I don't think I've mentioned this to anyone here, but I've been toying with the idea of building a full AV-8B cockpit sim pit in my basement. I already possess most of the skills necessary to make this happen (such as electronics, construction, 3D modeling, 3D printing, programming, welding, soldering, etc). I also have some prior experience with a Cessna 172 instrument panel I made a number of years ago. I've also done some prior experimentation with DCS-BIOS so I already know how to tap into DCS for both input and output. I also know how to make my own joysticks and keyboard controllers. I am a VR user, so I may not be rendering the MFD displays initially since I wouldn't be able to see them anyway. I have access to a laser cutter that I plan to use to engrave and cut all the panel pieces from acrylic (which will be backlit). I plan to use mostly MDF/wood construction.

I will have a few very big challenges into pulling off an AV-8B:

1. There is very little data available on cockpit / panel dimensions. I've searched long and hard, and there is some data, but not all data. Keep in mind there there were only about 340 AV-8B's built, inclusive of all AV-8B variants. That isn't very many. While they are still flown by the USMC and a couple of other countries, they are rare.
2. My wife does not yet know my true intentions. She will not be happy. I do not have a huge house. I have a finished basement, but it is a small, finished basement. I already have a huge (6 foot tall) arcade machine that I built a few years ago occupying space. In order to fit a cockpit in this basement, I will likely have to remove the chase part of our basement couch / buy an entirely different couch. Not sure how this is going to fly, but we'll see. I've convinced myself I'm going to do this.
3. There are very few AV-8B sim cockpits in existence. I've reached out to the makers of all of the ones I'm aware of and trying to share as much information as possible.

What have I done so far? Not much.
I've 3D printed most of the Harrier UFC already, but not finished it or even wired anything yet.
I have started modeling the AV-8B throttle grip.

Honestly, that's about it. But I plan to make progress on this over the next year. Let's see how far I get.
Trichome

Re: AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Trichome »

Wow... this project has me salivating.....Im pulling for you to get this done! please post pics along the way.

Good luck on this journey. Hopefully the wife can appreciate your ingenuity and drive....lol. You may have to sweeten the pot for her. I.e no more gadgets for X amount of time. When I spend 2K on my rifle I told the wife no more for 2 years. She agreed. That's up next month - Woohoo!!

Have you tried reaching out to the makers of the Harrier Module to see what they have for dimensions?
Even asking Reddit might be a good idea (if you haven't).

Best of luck!!!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

2 large on a rifle, Trichome? Wow. You hunt?

I'm in the process of downsizing my Backpacking gear because, well, we have so much of it that the house is nearly bursting. And, I just dropped about a grand on new gear to replace the gear I'm getting rid of. LOL. Anyway, I'm excited about this project. Yes, please post pics as I would be interested in following your progress. I'm super impressed you know how to do all that stuff, as I'm not particularly handy. Barely know the difference between a wrench and screwdriver. Some thoughts:

1. there is a guy on Hoggit who made a fold-away sim pit. I'm sure if you look it up you'll find, and maybe you could draw some inspiration from his work to save space.

2. Could you use cockpit designs from an earlier Harrier model that are close enough to the AV-8B? Or were they so radically different it would irk you?

3. What do you plan to use for a seat?

4. Do you love the arcade machine? Can't live without it? Maybe selling it off would smooth things over with your wife, you know, replace one big footprint with another. No difference?
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I originally was going to do just a front upper instrument panel that would sit or clamp to the desk and be removable. I did some quick prototyping and decided it would be heavy and cumbersome. The C172 pit was a roll away cart. It worked, but was a pain. No, fold away is not what I am after. I want a full legit cockpit.

The AV-8A cockpit is so significantly different that it would be an entirely different plane. Dimensions for that one are just as hard to come by. I am not too worried, I will get something and make it it as close as I can.

I will build the seat out of wood and replicate the Stencil S-J4U seat as best as I can. I will put it on a rail so I can move it forward and back. I have seen others make pretty convincing seats.

I do use the arcade and I do not think I could live without it.I spent 2 months designing it on the computer and 10 continuous days building it, and countless days downloading emulators, roms, configuring. It has RGB buttons that light up and change color to match the games. It has an RGB trackball and a spinner, too. Too much effort went into making that thing, and I don't think I will ever get rid of it!
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Here's a pic of the C172 sim, which no longer exists. The 23" LCD that was behind the instrument panel is now the screen for my arcade machine. This was prior to me getting into VR.

And here's the arcade machine with my 3 girls playing it 1.5 years ago...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Okay, now I want a video arcade unit. I can see why you wouldn’t want to part with it, given all the work you put into it.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

OMG you still have that MS mouse working? I had it 20 years ago and it last me for almost a decade but eventually the wire broke...
The Jedi Master
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I wouldn't part with that arcade unit either. Looks very cool.

I hope this project works out for you. Based on previous examples I can see, its going to be awesome.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Nothing in mind will ever top the guy who took a full, real MiG-21 and converted it into a sim pit. Close second is a guy who built an A-10 sim using a dome-like screen. Check YouTube out for the vids of either simpit. Pretty outstanding.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I am aware of both of those guys. Yes, impressive stuff. If money were no object...
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yeah that level of money has to be absolutely insane. Like "Hi, I'm the Mayor of Crazy Town!" insane.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I am planning to build the ejection seat first, which will be mostly built out of wood. I haven't yet decided on MDF or plywood yet, but probably leaning towards MDF. It's messy stuff to cut. I've learned NOT to cut that in my garage. My wife looked like she was about ready to divorce me the first day I started cutting 3/4" MDF for the arcade machine in the garage, and I had failed to cover anything in the garage. The amount of dust that operation creates is amazing. It's like a sandstorm on Arakkis.

Anyway, I was having difficulty finding any dimensions or measurements on the Stencil SJU-4/A ejection seat used on the AV-8B. I've got decent pictures but lacked data anywhere. Somebody on Facebook suggested I reach out to Art Nalls, Jr., USMC Lt.Col (ret), who is the only civilian to own Harriers. He actually owns 3, plus a few other planes (L-39, for example). Anyway, I sent an email to Art, and he responded with
"This should give you a jump start", and attached a couple of pages from a maintenance manual that had some diagrams with a couple of reference measurements. That's all I needed, and I'm off to the races!

Here's the reference images sliced up, loaded, scaled, and aligned in FreeCad, ready for modeling.

Also, here's a little something on Art:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That's amazing... good suggestion and that video is a good watch.

I'd think he would only provide you more and more info as you make progress on this project if you need it. I used to cut a lot of MDF making speaker boxes. Its messy stuff but the cost (in the past anyways) was good and its great wood for subwoofer boxes.

This video happened to pop up on the list of next videos.....

Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I hadn't seen that one yet. I have noticed the Sea Harrier ejection seat is a little bit different from what I am building. Not dramatically so, but there are some differences.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I'm @ 3:41 in the video Trichome posted and I had to pause because I'm scoffing at the notion that it is THAT dangerous to remove the ejection seat; seems like more reality TV drama, no? I mean, look, I'm not saying working on the ejection seat isn't dangerous, of course it is. It's a seat with rockets for Pete's sake! Certainly, you have to know what you're doing if you're working on them. But, just seems like they hyped up this point an awful lot. If the safety pins are in and you're not doing something incredibly stupid, the motors shouldn't just go off, right?
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I'm not so sure. Ejection seats are actually really considered pretty dangerous from what I have read. Most L-39's flying in the US, for example, have had the ejection seats rendered inert by having the rockets professionally removed. Counter-intuitive, right? I think it's done because the risk of an accidental ejection (especially from a guest riding in the back on the L-39) outweighs the risk of something going wrong with the jet and not being able to control it. Also, not sure if you are aware, but surviving an ejection is not a forgone conclusion. Some ejection seats have less than an 80% likelihood of surviving the ejection. The forces on the body are extreme, and that alone has killed people.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Ah, okay, that's fair then. It just struck me as odd since the seat since in a jet designed to pull high G's, ergo the seat is get tossed around a lot and put under a goodly amount of stress.

Yes, I was aware about the risk factors of actually having to eject, although my understanding was that the chances of survival had improved somewhat over the last several decades. Granted, you'd probably have horrible back problems the rest of your life. If your stat is valid and current, then that's pretty awful. Although if the jet irrecoverable, I guess it's better than nothing. Yikes.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I read somewhere that in general, US ejection seats had a lower survivability rating versus European designed ejection seats.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I've only been able to work on this a little bit so far. Much, much more work to be done on the plans for the ejection seat. When the ejection seat plans are done, I'll start construction on the building of the ejection seat.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Progress is slow. I've got a lead on the guy who did laser-scanning of an actual AV-8B cockpit for Razbam and seeing if he can share any data.
Last edited by Xpendable on 23 Nov 2021, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.