AV-8B cockpit build

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Re: AV-8B cockpit build

Post by Xpendable »

Today's work... Cut the detailing skins from 1/2 inch mdf. This was really time consuming and not as clean as I would like. I really am starting to think about getting this stuff cut on a CNC for me, or possibly building my own CNC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Looking great! I hope you plan to include a seat cushion.

I replaced what my wife called "an ugly chair" on 4 legs with a gaming chair. The problem is it keeps dropping throuhout the game and I end up getting lower and lower. Its also on casters so I slide around when I work the pedals. I need a more fixed solution that isn't an eyesore in some people's eyes.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i bought the gaming chair from costco, works great as a work chair as well (I work from home).

i can sit in it all day, and it works for gaming as well.

https://www.costco.com/dps-3d-insight-g ... 01483.html
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Ahh. looks good. I have a good chair I just can't keep it from rolling. i'll have to Rube Goldberg something on the wheels to stay put.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, you also said it drops on its own? do your casters not have locks on them?
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

no locks. it slowly drops over time but prob cause I need to lose a few pounds ha ha
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Cr33p3r wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 09:46
Looking great! I hope you plan to include a seat cushion.
Thanks. Yes, I have to make a seat cushion myself (none available, and it is an irregular shape). I already own the real seat back pads and head rest pads from a real Harrier. I will have to make a fiberglass mold to create the shape that the pads snap on to.
Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Cr33p3r wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:38
Ahh. looks good. I have a good chair I just can't keep it from rolling. i'll have to Rube Goldberg something on the wheels to stay put.
You can get castors that lock when weight is applied, had some at work and are very effective! (though may be quite expensive)
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hey Creeper - when I play on my sim racing rig I use a piece of thick Velcro around the center of the sim (what holds the wheel) and 1 of the casters I position right in the middle and wrap the Velcro around that. Even when smashing the brake and throttle no issues.

When I fly the Apache I use the same Velcro but tacked them from under my desk and the wrap around each arm rest. Also works great so I can work the anti-torque pedals.
I can post pics if you want to see what I'm trying to describe.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thats a great idea. I hear what you're saying. i will try something this evening. I really do regret my past ugly chair. It was comfortable, the right height, and didn't slide around. I may stick wash clothes in the casters too ha ha. I saw on etsy some kind of cradles that casters can sit in too.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Did some work on the head rest today and the seat back last week. The pink stuff will be getting fiberglass. I should also mention this is not the correct placement of the head rest. I just threw it up there to help visualize it. I still have to build out the rails and supports to properly attach the head rest.
20220729_161302.jpg
20220729_155131.jpg
20220729_155139.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Xpendable on 29 Jul 2022, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

20220729_161648.jpg
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That looks awesome. Its really coming along.

I used to build customer subwoofer enclosures and that wood work and mention of FB bring back some good memories.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Worked on the ejection seat some more today. I finally dug out my metal cutoff saw and cut my 3030 extruded aluminum bars. I also bought 1/2" black pipes (normally used for natural gas lines) to use as the supports for the head rest. I will eventually slide 1" PVC over the lower half the length of these bars as that is what it looks like in the real thing. I'm going to design and 3d print fake brackets that cover up the pipe straps that secure the headrest. The bottom supports also double as the shoulder harness points, and am thinking about machining those out of aluminum blocks on the CNC at the local library. I've never done that before, so there will be some new skills to develop.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Love the progress Xpen. The seat is really starting to come together.

Thanks for sharing.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

A few updates on the ejection seat. First, I fiberglassed the headrest. 1st coat only.

Second, I started making the arming handle. When the bar is up, the ejection seat is not armed. When it is pushed down, it is armed. There is supposed to be a spring loaded piece on the end that you have to pull out in order to move the bar. I have not done that yet but it will likely involve 3d printed parts.

Next, I worked on how to make the knee guards which require a 15 degree glare. This is just a test and is not the correct curved shape.

Finally, I started work on the manual seat release handle. You squeeze the handle, compressing the middle plate in the top center of the handle to unlatch the handle, and you pull up. I designed and 3d printed a replica. Just for fun, I found a supplier that can actually supply the real handle assembly and I requested a quote. They came back with $5190 for 1 unit. PDT_Armataz_01_13 I will just stick with the 3d printed replica!
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Knee guards (WIP)
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Manual seat release handle
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Inertial reel release kob (releases tension on shoulder harness)
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Recessed the headrest poles (er, pipes) into the back of the seat so the gap between them and the extruded aluminum rails is an accurate 1/8" instead of the previous 3/4" gap.