Interesting SEAD technique in the Harrier

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Interesting SEAD technique in the Harrier

Post by Xpendable »

So apparently JDAM "lofting" for SEAD is a thing in the Harrier... at least in DCS. I don't know if this was ever done in real life - probably not, but it's an interesting technique. I saw this demonstrated on a YouTube video this morning. Obviously this only works if you know the coordinates for deploying a JDAM. You come in low, on the deck. As soon as the enter the "drop" ring and the accuracy percentage starts counting upwards, you pull up hard and pickle the bomb (GBU-38 in this case). The bomb actually has an upward trajectory and will fly a ballistic trajectory and guide itself onto the target. The bomb will hit more from the side and won't be an overhead impact, but it still works. Holy cow. I just tried it, and it does work.
Xpendable

Re: Interesting SEAD technique in the Harrier

Post by Xpendable »

I did some testing and recorded a short video showing a loft of 3 JDAM's at the same time (was supposed to be 4, but didn't hold the pickle button for long enough for the 4th one to come off the rail). Amazing! Going to setup an actual working SAM site and practice taking it out with JDAM lofting.

Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I asked around and a former Harrier pilot confirmed this is legit and they do actually train to do exactly this technique. Awesome!
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I also asked my former Harrier pilot friend (the previous ask was in a Facebook group) and he also confirmed it:

"So we trained for this and never did it because JDAMS were in short supply. I only got to do it twice in training and it worked flawlessly. The principle idea in lofting is to just get in low level and be able to toss a bomb further out than you’re willing to fly, then get back down into the dirt and run like hell so a telephone pole on fire doesn’t come kill you 🙂"
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

interesting. i am considering asking you for some training. if i have time!
Helmut