Snowfox 1.31, RLG

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Snowfox 1.31, RLG

Post by Hammer »

I am working on RLG'ifying the latest version of Snowfox since the older missions do not seem to work with the new version of DCS (no red air, so some scripting language issue). This is fairly ready:

Carrier change from Stennis to Roosevelt: however, everything in menus, etc is likely to state Stennis. This is to put in the SuperCarrier but not upset or have to change a bunch of scripts.

Blue ships set to weapons free: default setting in the mission is return fire.

Locations: You will find the Tarawa on the east side of the peninsula and the Roosevelt on the northwest side. This is different than earlier versions of the mission. I am considering some changes here, but not sure yet.

Loadouts: you MUST check your loadout before takeoff. the default loadouts are often not appropriate. i am considering removing everything except gas so everyone can select a mission appropriate loadout when jumping into a bird. there may well be a few scramble birds with A2A loadots ready.

Aircraft: it seems this later version has all the aircraft we fly and I do not believe i need to add any. some might need additional aircraft at different locations though. if something is missing please let me know.

please post suggestions and wants for this mission here after flying it. i will get to things to make it up to our standards as my time permits. it should be usable as is now, but can definitely be made better.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Re: Snowfox 1.31, RLG

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks Hammer for this really helpful outline!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, had some time to update while sitting in a meeting.

Bulls: I also added bulls waypoints to all flights, for some reason even the more advanced aircraft did not all have bulls waypoints. i did not do a lot of attention to detail, so altitude is just default.

Aircraft: made some changes to available aircraft, i think i have all the proper different types covered. remember to check your loadout when you get in the bird. i also added a second flight of Hornets to the carrier. all flights set to take off parking hot (nobody will be on the cat right now).

Locations: tweaked the waypoints, etc. for the blue ships.

Red ships will no longer act like sitting ducks. That is all I will tell you here. PDT_Armataz_01_36
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I thought the mission worked very well last night! I had a great time.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

thx Panzer.

please post thoughts about the mission from last nights' session. red air strength? correct aircraft that everyone flies? enough aircraft slots? anything else?
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I would say the red air issue is the same it's always been - a steady but uneven trickle.
Two red planes spawn here, two spawn there, two over there...all about 200 miles apart from each other W, N, and E of the strait and spaced out inconveniently for either interception or ignoring.

Is there someway to instead decrease the frequency but increase the number? So instead of 3 flights launching within 5-10 mins of each other and being all over the map, we get 4-6 planes in one spot and then at least 15 mins later we get 4-6 in a different (or even same) spot?

The problem with the way it is now is anyone choosing to play intercept role winds up with a lot of empty time and then rushing around to get those 2 planes (assuming that ships or other friendlies don't get them first), while those playing strike are forced to abort and engage or hope the interceptors arrive first.

No tragedy if it can't be altered, but I think if it's possible it's worth the effort.
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

sounds kinda realistic to me. ;)

i.e. if the enemy in this case was to make a sortie against superior forces trying to attack their country, would they not engage either by trying to sneak some small amounts of fighters into the fray or try an all our with a bunch at one time?

i can tweak the time periods for aircraft spawning, and i can tweak the number of aircraft in a flight. the issue with the script is that each flight is related to an air base. each air base spawns its aircraft separately (which is why it seems like one here, one there - their recourse are spread out so they do not all get taken out at once), and with a random time counter between a minimum and maximum period of time since its last flight went down/landed. once a flight from a base is gone, the random timer starts again, spawning a new flight sometime between a minimum and maximum period of time.

there does not seem to be a reasonable way (without writing some additional, probably complicated code) to try and spawn them all together. the timers all start at the script initialization, but once the first flights are down there is no way to try and coordinate them again. i can try to see what can be done...but what is the desired outcome? steady flow of enemy? or one large group at one time?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, I have the carrier tacan set to 71X and ICLS to 1. Note that the carrier is the Roosevetl, VNC71, physically but all game stuff will see it called the Stennis. Sorry, I do not have time to dig through the scripts and update and then test them.

The Tarawa tacan is set to 1X and icls to 10. i moved the Tarawa to the same side of the peninsula as the carrier group, they will travel in opposite directions to try and minimize conflicts in pathfinding and air traffic.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I have also done some updates to the red air spawn times and number of aircraft for each spawn. let's see how this works out. will need to bring the server down to run new version, will do so something in the next couple of hours.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I also added a kneeboard, hopefully I have everything right.

new mission uploaded, server restarted.
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Hammer wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 11:56
The Tarawa tacan is set to 1X and icls to 10. i moved the Tarawa to the same side of the peninsula as the carrier group, they will travel in opposite directions to try and minimize conflicts in pathfinding and air traffic.
Thanks for this... I took off from Khasab on my sortie tonight and after firing 2 laser mavs, 2 AGM122 Sidearms, dropping 4x GBU-38's and about 10 gun run passes, I was winchester and low on fuel. Thankfully I was able to pick up the Tacan for the Tarawa which was closer than Khasab. I made it!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

nice. any other feedback on the mission? it sounds like there was red air, but not too much to keep people from ground missions?

did anyone look for and use the kneeboard page?
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yes there was quite a bit of red air and my decision to take a KA-50 in the beginning turned out to be a bad one! That's ok though, I learned and took an F-15 and got my revenge. :-)