New F-18C Grip...

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Re: New F-18C Grip...

Post by Xpendable »

Yes, the stick needs to be rotated on the base -15 degrees (counter-clockwise). This is not possible on the Thrustmaster base because there is a PS/2 connector that does not move. It is slotted to line up only with the connectors with 0 offset with no possibility for any other position. The only way to do it is with an extension bar and a short PS/2 cable which then allows you to change the offset.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

New mainboard for the Thrustmaster throttle is on order. $70 shipped. They say I should receive it in 5-7 business days, which isn't that bad considering it's coming from France.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I just got tracking info that says the new board will be here on Friday.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

nice. hopefully you are back up and in the pit soon.
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

The new mainboard arrived this morning and I swapped it in this afternoon. Took only about 15 minutes or so. I'm up and running again! I noticed that the powered USB hub I normally have things thing plugged into was not connected to my UPS. I moved it over to my UPS so I'm hoping that will help prevent this in the future. But, I know it still could happen because there are no static arrestors in the board. By the way, I've noted that they actually designed the board to take SEVEN ESD chips but chose not to populate them for whatever reason. I highlighted them here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

can you populate them with no ill effect? of course you would have to determine what is suitable. I do have an EE buddy...
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Good question. I don't know, but probably. Soldering them on is easy enough for me. I have a hot air reworking station. The question would be which ones to order, and if they weren't populated for some other reason that I don't know about. Also, on a Eagle Dynamics forum, there is info that Thrustmaster should have also put an ESD pad protecting the USB power lines going to the chip. In order to fix that, you have do a bodge (modify the board and solder on the chip where no chip was designed). That involves carefully cutting traces on the circuit board and scraping away solder mask on the traces to solder a chip in place. It's a bit risky.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i would not. but you might be able to do it on the old board and even rescue it. what does it take? nothing but time at this point, and maybe a few dollars in parts. :D
Helmut