do no HARM

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

do no HARM

Post by Cr33p3r »

In anticipation for tonights mission, I loaded up the F18 with HARMs and flew to some SA radars I set in Iran. I had them on and tracking them and ready to fire when I got closer and then they went off. Nothing to shoot at. They show up and the vehicles were there but just stopped showing up on my left screen. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly but maybe the AI will turn off when they perceive a threat? I need to read up on more tutorials on this at lunch to be ready. Any ideas though?

Master arm, A/G mode, select stores and HARM, set to TOO, select the pylon and fly towards the radar and get ready to shoot. I may be missing some important step.
Cr33p3r

Re: do no HARM

Post by Cr33p3r »

I realize now that I was pretty low which would have reduced my HARM range and also maybe even below the radar so they wouldn't show up. Next time will practice by getting some altitude and then attempting to lock on. I think I answered my own question.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Ah, yes, but they do turn off sometimes as a defense, we have seen this many times before so that could be a factor as well.

I tried combating that by using PB mode but it didn't really work--it still needs emissions.

Kinda sucks because the Shrike used to remember where the target was if they shut off their radar--why doesn't the "more advanced" HARM do the same?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

ahh. thx. adds to the challenge I guess. i may still go in Mi24 low and bomb it as a backup. Maybe be below radar.

Reminds me of Flight of the Intruder where they were waiting until the 3rd missile was launched before launching the missile at the radar.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Welcome aboard Cr33p3r to RLG! We can always use more DCS flight simmers!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

remember there are other short range SAM's and AAA threats as well.

yes, the Air Defence has AI, it will turn off if it sees a potential threat, and turn back on after you pass it!

best tactics are combination decoys (TALDs or Wild Weasel) and ARM-armed (!) aircraft.

i did very well in the Thunder with LD-10's in passive mode. 3 out of 4 missiles killed, i think it is similar to the Shrike. could fly A-4s with the Shrike...
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome!

Bones launched one of those TALD's and I swear it seems like flew over 3 countries before landing!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 09:15
Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome!

Bones launched one of those TALD's and I swear it seems like flew over 3 countries before landing!
I still don;t know how it was able to climb up the side of the mountain though!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 07:31
Welcome aboard Cr33p3r to RLG! We can always use more DCS flight simmers!
PM,

You may remember Creeper from SimHQ years and years ago. He was a JF-18 simmer as well as others.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 09:34

You may remember Creeper from SimHQ years and years ago. He was a JF-18 simmer as well as others.

v6,
boNes

The SimHQ username sounds familiar indeed. It's been 21 years since I joined SimHQ so I've seen lots of usernames. LOL
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I remember the name "Panzermeyer" from simhq ha ha. Yes, its been a very long time.

With todays beta Hind update, i will have some nice sidewinder type RM-60 missiles on my Mi24! I may ditch the HARMs and do bomb runs this evening on the radars!