Viggen vs Mirage 2000

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

Viggen vs Mirage 2000

Post by Cr33p3r »

OK so I have $25 steam gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Here is what I have so far for DCS:

F14 - still much to learn
F18 - making great progress and am comfortable
Super carrier - great addon
F5 - only a bit of work in this
F15 - haven't flown yet but there if I want it
Persian Gulf Map/Syria Map - great maps
Av8b - loving this so far and still learning
Mi24 - loving this as a challenge but still a hard bird to fly.

Wow that's a big virtual hangar now that I look at it.

I'm not really interested in the offline campaigns and the S Atlantic map is still not on sale. I'm considering aircraft that can be used on the RLG MP server: So, Mi8 is a possibility but leaning towards the Viggen or Mirage which are both $30. the F16 is on sale but still $56 I don't want to spend now.

Any recommendations from you fine gentlemen?
Bones

Re: Viggen vs Mirage 2000

Post by Bones »

I recommend the NNTR map. Its fun, you can go to Area 51 and Rachel, you can shoot instrument approaches at the real airports, and it has some a few cool stock missions. We also use it once in a while for campaigns at RLG, if not for head to head practice.

Some of the campaigns such as Zone V, Fear the Bones, and Raven One are really worth the money, even if just for documentation and procedures alone. Plus they have great pro voiceovers.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

If they don't have boNes as the voice of voice-overs they're not worth it! 8)
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks. I'll give them some thought.

I took french in high school but not Swedish. Plus, I think Hammer would have to add Viggen to the mp mission. Hm......
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

If you want/like it, easy enough to add. It is VERY much a point solution to deep strike and anti-ship though. I do not know how useful it will be, and I understand you must put decent time into it. its missions are mostly planning, planning, planning on pre--planned targets. that said, i like it too and have often considered purchasing it. you might go to reddit and ask some questions about it.

but the Mirage, while a bit outclassed, is more utilitarian than the Viggen. it can do some ground attack, it is great at intercept, and can do A2A with a partner (generally forget that if alone), and is superior (not to everything mind you) in the dogfight. It is probably on the easier side to learn. Grifter and I have it and fly it.

both are cool. you might get more mileage out of the NTTR map though.
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

I've been trying for quite a while now to get Jstars to join us. You and Panzer may remember him from SimHQ. He is from Sweden and worked on the Viggen in the Swede Royal Air Force. He is a newbie at DCS as well, I've been helping him with the Hornet but he's not quite confident enough yet to fly in an MP situation. But if he does, I'm sure the Viggen would be in his repertoire.

Hammer, you are correct: he says the same thing about the Viggen, or pretty much any Saab fighter. Since Sweden is neutral, their aircraft are geared more for home defense so not much in terms of long range warfighting or more missions other than CAS, ship strikes, and the like.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks for the well informed responses. I'm still mulling things over and and Mi8 is looking more and more attractive and I think there is one at the FARP. I feel I have a fast dogfighter in the F5.

Last night on my own, i went in with the Mi24 while the enemy CAP flights were far away and took out those two ZSU's at the harbor entrance. Very glorious but I forgot to record the shots and explosions. Then two Iranian F14's flying over Mach 1 took me out as I was going to hunt those rapiers. So, I chipped a bit at the edges of a map that has looked the same for quite a while. I may try this again. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the Mi24 weapons.