Late Cold War Campaign Anyone?

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Late Cold War Campaign Anyone?

Post by Grifter »

Hey everyone,

Hammer and I have been corresponding via email about where we go from here. It seems that Operation Snowfox is nearly done. We've destroyed most of the enemy's air force and air defenses. We've nearly eliminated two of their major military bases on the coast. The next step would be deep strikes, I assume, to destroy infrastructure and military installations deeper north. But, we may call it done before doing that for a host of reasons, namely the flight time it takes to go deep north. Also, it might be night to fly on a new map.

Hammer and I thought perhaps a mid to late cold war period campaign would be a fun next step for the group. All jets and weapons from the same era so that you don't have Mirage 2000's going up against SU-30's, for example. Given it's current cache of planes and weapons, I think DCS lends itself well to late cold era, say the first first gulf war or perhaps a conflict in the mid to late 1980's. That would still allow us to fly all the planes we currently use, including the F/A-18C. However, we'd be limited to using AIM-9M's and AIM-7's. Russian jets would likewise be limited in terms of armament, unless of course they already had fire and forget tech; I don't think they did though.

We could also make use of the Syria map, which would be nice as it's going to waste. A conflict in Syria in the late 1980's sounds about right to me. To make use of the Syria map we'd have to get away from Surrexen's stuff though and try a different mission generator. There is that Liberation mission generator that might work. If we continue to rely on Surrexen's stuff, we're limited to Caucuses, PG, and Nevada map. May be he's re-done the work he did on the Syria map and took out the AI generals capturing bases? It's a feature, as you'll recall, that really didn't work for us because we don't have the numbers to dedicate people to shooting down Cargo planes. Or, perhaps there is a way in the code to slow down or stop the cargo planes altogether? Have them explode on the tarmac?! Anyway, we'd need to explore options to get away from the maps we've overused.

What do you guys think? You up for some old school, real skill flying without fire and forget capability? Let us know if you'd be interested in doing this.

Grif.
Trichome

Re: Late Cold War Campaign Anyone?

Post by Trichome »

Im open for any mission as long as I have a Hornet or Apache to fly. (mostly the Hornet).

The last Liberation UI wasn't as user friendly as I was used to and we started SnowFox so I kind of gave up on it. I subscribe to their GitHub thread and can see they are making changes so hopefully thing will be a bit easier come the next release.

My take would be - lets finish Snowfox. Probably a few more rounds seeing as it sounds like for the next few weeks we'll be missing people. Then do a Cold War Caucuses campaign and hopefully after that a new version of Liberation is released. I haven't done any cold war stuff so Id be interested in trying that scenario out.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

This is the current list of Surrexen's stuff

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... xen/apply/
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

all the newer stuff uses the AI generals against each other (including Syria and Marianas). maybe we can try the Syria one again after i tweak it a bit.
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I like this idea. Suits everything I currently fly and a good mix. I can live with shorter range missiles too. Will be good practice.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm good with Syria. I miss that map!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Another nice thing about the Tomcat. Even if it's a Cold War campaign, I can still carry and use the AIM-54.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

No you would have to leave those at home. No unfair advantage unless fighting Japanese Zeros! PDT_Armataz_01_28
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

It would be a great advantage for the U.S. if the damned things worked as intended. But they seem nerfed in DCS. We did manage two kills with them the other night.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Funny how the Russian missiles like the R-77 have never been nerfed. Hmm...
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

but remember the Phoenix was originally intended for non-maneuvering large targets - bombers.
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

The Mig21 has AA (R-60M) missiles about as good as Sidewinders. There is a beam-riding missile but its a lesser warhead than a sparrow. The Mi24 can actually carry 4 of those R-60M's with the most recent update.

The Mig21 does have a 1KT nuke (R-28) bomb and 10kT (R-24) bomb, not that I'd use either or the cold war battles would turn into a nuclear winter battles ha ha.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

mig21nuke.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

@Hammer- Yes, that's also part of the reason why they aren't 100% successful against smaller aircraft. Very true. But, our experiences with them indicate that they are still nerfed and go stupid far too often.

@Creeper- Indeed, frightening. Lil' babushka!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the MiG-21 is cool, I wish I had the time as I own it.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I've owned the MiG-21 module for several years now and I DO have the time to learn it but simply lack the WILL. lol
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Haha its a strange bird that really doesn't want to fly. I liken it to a rocket with "kind-of wings". You have to squeeze the wheel brake to get the nosewheel to turn. You also have limited brake pressure so if you use it all up on the ground taxiing you won't be able to brake when you land. It has 3 flaps settings. The good thing is that you can get it fired up and ready to taxi in 60 seconds. Definitely a cold war one-way-trip intercept aircraft.

Its also fun to have to look down at the VSI and compass down by your left knee to find out where you're going. There is no mag compass up near the hud.

I had much more frustration with the Mi24 but the cockpits were strangely similar in many ways.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I did at least put in over 300 hours of flying time into the KA-50 so I'm proud of that. LOL