Multi monitor setup??

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

Multi monitor setup??

Post by Cr33p3r »

Anyone do this? I'm considering using my 2nd monitor for RWR and other screens.

http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/Boull ... .1_ENG.pdf
PanzerMeyer

Re: Multi monitor setup??

Post by PanzerMeyer »

When DCS introduced the ability to use a second monitor to exclusively display the SHKVAL screen for the KA-50 I considered getting a second monitor but then realized that I didn't have the necessary space to accommodate two monitors. I also then realized that I just preferred to have one really large monitor than to have two smaller monitors.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Roger. I will give this a try and post results. I have a 19" widescreen and then a square 17" for other stuff on the side.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Ive been tempted to try something like this....Just need to get my hands on an old Tablet

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... s/3308547/

Let us know how it goes...
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I will be doing this when I get my 2 MFD's going in my Harrier pit.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I was going to say, there are plenty of folks out there that buy MFD for auxiliary displays. I'm sure Xpen can point you to what to purchase.
Faelwolf

Post by Faelwolf »

If I can jump in, I have used a multimonitor setup for almost a decade. DCS does it rather well, once you sort out it's quirks. I mainly use it for running Helios on a second monitor. The guide you linked to looks out of date. Two main things to be aware of for DCS:

1. You have to use an export .lua file defining the locations of the video feeds you want to send to the second monitor. You want to put this in your saved games file, not the main game.

2. You have to calculate the combined pixel count of both monitors and set up a virtual monitor in your monitor size section of options. I found it most efficient to set up the monitors used for DCS in a top/bottom configuration to match my physical setup, as well as to make the math a bit easier.

Remember though, that both the export, and the increased pixel count is going to go against your frame rate. When I switched to a 55" 4K TV for a main monitor, I could really tell the difference, and had to make some adjustments. My pixel count went through the roof! I recently pulled the 24" touchscreen I was using as I found that with the bigger and much clearer main monitor, I didn't need Helios so much, and was barely using it. But it was not for technical reasons with DCS.

There is no longer any need for 3rd party software to set up multi monitors in DCS. But, if you want a quick way to cheat, you can use Capt. Zeen's export .lua from his website, and just delete/comment out the lines you don't need. :)

For things like multiple mini displays inside a cougar, etc. the same principals apply. Just arrange them in Windows, do the math, and tell DCS your custom screen size, etc.

For a single second monitor of any decent size, take a look at Helios, it's free, and makes setup easy. https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/releases

Hope this helps a little bit.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hmmm...
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Very helpful reply, Faelwolf. Welcome to RLG!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks for the great advice. I will tinker with this when I get time.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That's great info. Definitely gets the wheels spinning....