Maverick Mission

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Trichome

Maverick Mission

Post by Trichome »

I found this mission and did some amendments.

Added a few F16s and and extra flight of F18's - I wasn't sure who would want to give it a go. If you do and you dont fly one of those planes please let me know.

Hammer can we add this to the mission list or if someone else wants to host (Im having issues with opening ports or I would host it) we can give it a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bones

Re: Maverick Mission

Post by Bones »

I flew this mission. I got to waypoint 9 and nothing was there but a mountain...I'm aSsuming I am looking for the same target as in the movie? Either way nothing was there.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I had the target up on my FLIR but I missed it the first time. Its was there. I amended them in the ME now they are bigger buildings to make it a bit easier.
Bones

Post by Bones »

HERe's the mission footage. Did I miss where the target is?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I dont see it at 13:02 of your video. I did the other day. Maybe a change I did messed it up. Ill fly it later and see how it goes and let you know.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I just flew it... WP9 works for me. Targets are there. I was in "Dagger 1"

I attached the miz file again but I didnt make any amendments/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bones

Post by Bones »

HEre's that video of us Trichome. I get to the target around 16:00 and the TPOD goes blank.

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hey Bones - it tough to make out WP8 and WP 9 numbers on the HSI and the SA page. Its at about 15:50 of your video when it happens.

BUT - I noticed although it seemed like it said WP9 when you hit WPDSG the TPOD slews to WP8 not WP9 so you almost immediately fly over the point the TPOD is looking at. As you fly over WP8 the TPOD goes out of gimble.

Very weird. Id be curious to try it again. Let me know if you want to give it a go tonight (after RON) or another time.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yeah that is weird because why would the TPOD go to WP8 if WP9 is WPDSG. That makes no sense. And yes, I guess that would be why the screen goes black, it's out of gimbal.

If I still had my bombs I would have just done a Top Gun Maverick and dropped Deadeye when I came back since I was able to see the targets with my eyeballs rather than the TPOD. BUt, you saw how close enough I was to hitting the mountain. Total Coffin Corner there!

Yes, let's try ti again sometime. If tonight it won't be until late though.

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

OK looked at it again. At 16:00 I clearly have WP9 designated, then I hit WPDSG and it says 10.7 in my HUD. The TPOD aso says 10.7 in the HUD, then after about 5 seconds after I line up with WP9/TGT it goes blank. The range is still consistent with the HUD and the SA/HSI pages. So I don't think it slewed to WP8, I think it just went blank for an undeterminable reason. If it slewed to WP8, the range in the TPOD would not match the one in my HUD.

It doesn't make sense. As you pointed out, the dot in the TPOD display shows the laser is looking behind me even though the range on it shows that it is locked onto WP9.

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Bones wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 11:36
The range is still consistent with the HUD and the SA/HSI pages. So I don't think it slewed to WP8, I think it just went blank for an undeterminable reason. If it slewed to WP8, the range in the TPOD would not match the one in my HUD.

It doesn't make sense. As you pointed out, the dot in the TPOD display shows the laser is looking behind me even though the range on it shows that it is locked onto WP9.
I see that now. Its like it locked to WP9 but the slew is to WP8. Right as you fly over WP8 is when it goes blank and the gimble marker is on the bottom of you HSI. It it was slewed to WP9 still 9NM away it shouldn't be behind you. This is very weird. Next time Ill take Dagger 1 and you take Dagger 2. Switch it up and see what happens. This is bothering me now. I dont think it was anything you (during mission) or I (in the ME) did to make this happen.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I tried again after you left, I was very frustrated with it but after 3 more tries, I was able to get a hit. Then I was frustrated more whe I took a SAM even though I was nearly crashing into a ridge.

Anyway I rushed the target and dropped one bomb when the cue was midway between min and max range. Then I dropped the other bomb just before the cue it hit min range. Then I cranked to the right of the target, then turned left since my TPOD is on the left side of my fuselage, and did a lazy high altitude climbing turn over the target to optimize the laser spot hitting the target. At least 1 bomb hit, I saw the explosion in the FLIR. Then I got killed by an SA-3

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

That was a nice run. Good hit.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Revised...
Bones

Post by Bones »

Trichome,

Didn't matter that I could see the GBU externally...there are umpteen Tomahawks in the air so I have to scroll through a ton of them before I even get to me GBU and I can't spend that time not looking at the TPOD.

And, I dunno, I can't seem to find a way to not have the TPOD get masked, no matter what kind of approach I take, even that high approach/egress doesn't work anymore--it's always masked.

v6,
boNes