PVE Servers anyone?

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Re: PVE Servers anyone?

Post by Hammer »

cold starts is a non-starter (pun?) for me. i just do not have that time available. but should be fine as I have not flown in over 2 months, do NOT let my lack of participation stop you all.

wih SRS you have to change freqs in your bird, yes? then SRS is on that freq?
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I hear you. But honestly, once you get good at cold starting it's not that bad. At least in the F/A-18. I can be ready for take off in roughly five minutes. I have to wait to have weapons loaded on my aircraft and program waypoints into my HSI, and set up TACAN and ILS anyway. By the time I'm done with all that the jet has gone through it's startup sequence and is ready for take-off, sometimes it's done before I'm even really ready to go. Perhaps in the JEFF or the Mirage it will take 8-10 minutes, and so that would be a downside for sure. But as I said, I have enough in the jet to keep me preoccupied while the INS is aligning. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer hot starts. Wish could take what they've done on the Levant server and put it on our server. It's very similar to TTI, but seems semi-automated if that makes any sense. Along with Overlord, you do get the feel that the theater is actually alive. The only thing better would be a true dynamic campaign generator like Falcon 4.

As for SRS, kind of. Certain radio channels are set aside for live players to interact by using SRS. For example, if I broadcast on my first radio and it is set to 127.000, I'll be speaking to the AI ATC controller aboard the carrier. However, if I speak on my second radio and the channel is set to 253.000, I will be speaking on the common channel and my voice will reach all live planners tuned into that channel. Players who are NOT tuned into that channel will not be able to hear me.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

7 minutes plus in the Mirage just for INS align, if I recall properly.

for SRS, does that mean you must tune the channel via onboard radio? or can SRS tune to the channel you need it on?
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I can cold start the Harrier in 40 seconds, including INS, since it remembers last known coords when shutdown (which is a real thing, and has been simulated with an option in special menu for the Harrier). If you turn off that option or want to do the full alignment, it adds 2 1/2 minutes.

As for SRS, I know how to use it already and have use dit in the past. If you are lucky enough to be on a server that has a live GCI who is also using SRS, they have a special integration that let's them realistically listen in on multiple frequencies at the same time and can choose which freq to xmit on.

My only reservation is that some of these servers take themselves too seriously, and we might be split up as we could be tasked to do different, unrelated things and not really working together.
Bones

Post by Bones »

In the Tomcat it takes about 7-8 minutes for a fine INS alignment. You can set it for a course alignment for things like scrambles but don't expect to be able to use Phoenix missiles and the like.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I cheat and use Autostart so Im up within a few minutes and I have the other Hornet stuff set to a Macro that takes about 40 second. I have uses SRS before I joined up with you guys.

I also DL that Teamspeak Military Radio Plugin... Going to try it out tonight.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I was on Hoggit's Persian Gulf theater yesterday. uses SRS. I didn't not hear anything that might offend anyone. it was all radio calls. There was some chat messaging going on but nothing with profanity. SRS installed easily. Defaults to caps lock for transmitting. A pop-up window had the frequencies already plugged in. Mostly radio calls for taxi and takeoff. I don't think I was on the strike frequencies so I may have missed more comms than were actually happening. I will reconnect another time. Easy to use BTW.

I did have to cold start but I have a startup button for that so took 3.5 min in the Mi24.

Just sharing my experience on Hoggit PVE server. Oh, and its very challenging too without combined pre-planned attacks. Pretty cool seeing those enemy positions in the mountains to attack.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I did the full manual start up procedure for the KA-50 a couple of times and that was enough for me. It was a nice novelty to see all of the steps involved in powering up the systems and engines but it's not something I would do for EVERY mission. That's just too tedious for me.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i agree, mostly due to time constraints. also, i do not believe auto start cut short the INS alignment time, which is generally the longest part of a startup. i think you have to have ALCM alignment selected in special options and then the mission needs to NOT have force ILS alignment checked to get something faster in the Mirage, for example. But you still need to go through it even with the magic startup button.
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

With the amount of times any one of us gets shot down and immediately respawn right away to get back in the fight ASAP, do we really want to cold start?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I guess all the more reason to hopefully get the liberation mission up and running since there is such a reticence to cold start. For what’s it’s worth cold starting is something of penalty for getting shot down. Perhaps people would be a bit more cautious if they knew they’d have to cold start on repsawn.

Anyway, I may take up flying in PVE servers now and then. So far it’s been a good experience and a bit refreshing. Some have put a lot of work into their server like Hoggit and Levant. Anyone is welcome join me if you want. I think it would be fun to fly on the PVE server together as a group.

I still think we ought to look seriously at SRS. Lends a sense of realism to our comms that I find appealing.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I got SRS updated and ready to go