For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

SRS instructions

Post by Cr33p3r »

Here are instructions for running SRS:

1. Get latest version from here
http://dcssimpleradio.com/

2. Unpack folder and run the SRS Installer.exe file. Do not install while DCS is running.
I installed here:
01.JPG
3. Run DCS and (for example)

4. My DCS screen looks like this at startup:
20220920221800_1.jpg
5. Join Hoggit Server. Password for persian gulf server is: hoggit1fw . For Hoggit, your name must match your discord name. So, I have to use drew_blood but also put a call sign like: "drew_blood | Croc 1-1"

6. Once you start to join server, this will pop up. You can program PTT key (default is caps lock). I also click on "toggle radio overlay" and that opens the smaller window you see:
02.JPG
I then minimize the popup and move the radio screen to my 2nd monitor. You will need to hit left shfit + left control + Escape key to start up SRS in DCS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cr33p3r on 24 Sep 2022, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
Cr33p3r

Re: SRS instructions

Post by Cr33p3r »

7. Once in-game, Hoggit server auto programs the popup window. You shouldn't need to do anything in-cockpit. The last time I joined, i could automatically hear the radio traffic for Al Dafra where I was:
03.JPG
8. I havent figured out how to change freqs yet so that's the next step.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Nice Creeper. It would be nice to know how to set up default channels on the server, so if anyone runs across that please post.
Helmut
Bones

Post by Bones »

Can we set up an RLG server so we don't have to go to Hoggit?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

that has already been done a few days ago, posted in the "PVE Servers anyone?" thread.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I don’t even use that pop up window. I just use the Radio controls in my plane to tune in specific frequencies. Summer to contact the AI, while others are open and assigned to speak to live players over SRS. I think any free channel not assigned to a flight, ATC, etc. Should work as an SRS channel? Next Monday we should try SRS out using the RLG server Hammer set up. Details for it are in the other thread that I posted about joining PVE servers. Thanks Hammer!

EDIT: to be clear, I think SRS automatically connects to the server of you launch it before joining the RLG server? Or, does it require specific server address and password? The Levant SRS server has a specific address and password .
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Happy to provide! Its a start.

I'm thinking the SRS program is keyed to the aircraft you're in. In my screenie above, I see R-863 and R-828 and so forth. Those are specific radios within the Mi24 which is what I was in when I created those instructions and the radio names changed when i first entered DCS. I believe I DO have to program within the cockpit but this key shows me what to turn to I guess. The SRS did automatically tune me to the first radio (Al Khasab traffic) when I joined the map.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

if the server is running SRS, which ours is (it integrates as a plugin to the server) and you have SRS installed, it should automatically launch SRS when you connect. yes, it will pull details from the airframe you are currently in. it likely pulls your freqs as currently set in your bird. if so, these freqs can generally be set in the ME for each aircraft. might be good for someone to create a set of standard freqs that can then be applied in the ME as channels.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Makes sense.

So, probably easiest to do what the Levant server did. They assigned one common channel not being used by ATC, tankers, etc. From the common channel, flight leads can assign radio freqs not being used by the mission. So, flight lead could tell everyone to switch Channel 2 to 253.500, for example. Or the flights can be assigned freqs in the ME, as you suggested, and perhaps put in package briefings. But that's a lot of work for one person editing the mission.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I just installed it. Got onto Hoggit server but didn't have to change my name to Discord name or anything...no one said anything.

AM on the deck now, I hear alot of static on the radio but no traffic...There is one other person on the server...is that why? Everyone is just idle?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

How do you get the orange radio data on the upper left to disappear?

I have the Tomcat started up and there is no radio traffic.

v6,
boNes
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Left shift, left control + escape key.

Here is a good tutorial. i haven't delved in that much. the Mi24 tutorial (which i watched briefly) assigned keys to the various frequencies so you could transmit on them easier. I'm not expert yet. most mp servers I've been on are not using SRS even though required. Growling Sidewinder players have been using the discord channel for comms.

Frankly for our RLG server, I like the TS3 usage. I need to up my official comms game.