No votes
Syria
31%

Total votes: 13

Trichome

Liberation Campaign... Lets do this!

Post by Trichome »

Hey Everyone,

Looks like Cr33p3r and I have completed the Cold War and Modern War RLG Factions list. They both seem to work now (Thanks to Crr33p3r for being the 2nd set of eye).

So which of those do we want to do?
Cold War / Modern War (Choose One)

Do we want Era specific planes/weapons?
Era Specific Weapons/Planes or Weapons Free (choose one)

What Map?
Caucasus / Syria (Choose One)

If anyone has any other ideas or wants lets discuss.....this will hopefully be the first of many so we can always switch it up next time.
Last edited by Trichome on 25 Sep 2022, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Cr33p3r

Re: Liberation Campaign... Lets do this!

Post by Cr33p3r »

Ahaha. I voted for both cold and modern and then didnt vote for era/wewapons free category. I guess I failed the test.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Whoops I did the same as Creeper. I guess I’m cool with either Cold War or modern era. If we go Cold War, we should at least use Cold War era weapons, and I would argue Cold War era aircraft within reason, that is, im not sure the f-16 in game is Cold War era but hey close enough. Definitely would like to use the Syria map.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Yes. to be clear on my end my votes are:

Cold War Weapons
Era weapons
Syria
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I amended the poll so you can change previous vote

F16 Block C was 1991
AH 64D was a prototype in 2002

Should we disregard the variants but stick to the time period weapons options?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks. Revoted
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I have no preference on weapons but I do prefer the Syria map over the Caucasus map.

As for platforms, I would like the Ka-50, F15 and A-10 II.

Thanks.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

so far this is where im at.

Syria
Summer 1990
There is no Carrier in this mission but we do have 2 FARPS.

Because we have a couple request for more than 1 plane type to fly or have available - I've set a lot of wingman slots as players leaving very few AI slots. I noticed when I set the wingman to Player. If the player doesn't spawn the flight the Lead wont spawn and take off. I dont recall this happening before but I may be wrong.

I can always play with that on the next turn.....

FYI the weapons do seem restricted. Im getting only AIM 7 and 9 as an example in the loadout options. I only checked the Hornet. Im not familiar with what weapons are ColdWar or not. If anyone has a list that would be helpful too. (per plane type would be awesome)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

those are correct for 1990. phoenix should be available for tomcat.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

If I recall correctly, no Phoenixes were ever fired during Desert Shield/Storm. It was all Sparrows!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

There are no confirmed Phoenix shots during Operation Desert Shield/Storm. CONFIRMED Phoenix shots. There is a long story about a possible Phoenix shot during the opening night of Desert Storm, but that's unconfirmed and is also most likely borderline classified.

However, throughout the Cold War, all variants of the Phoenix: AIM-54A, AIM54-A Mk 60, and AIM-54C were available. The AIM-54C+ may have been also, but it's not offered in DCS anyway.

(2) Phoenixes were launched in Operation Southern watch but none scored a hit. RIO friend of mine told me back in 1999 that word had it that in the rush of things, and in swapping personnel between a squadron unfamiliar with the Tomcat, that it was wired up incorrectly. As my friend put it, "It went from an AIM-54 to a Mk 84."

Just a few weeks ago, this story was confirmed in the F-14 Tomcast where they interviewed the pilot who actually fired the Phoenixes in that engagement. Funny thing was that they thought they got a kill because AWACS or some forward observers saw one of the MiGs explode. Turned out the MiGs realized they had Phoenixes shot at them and turned to run. The one MiG ran out of gas and crashed into a mountain. Given the adage "a kill is a kill", this was considered an unofficial kill for the Phoenix/Tomcat.

Story here:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IAxAR&ep=6

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Wow, thanks for sharing that really fascinating story Bones. I had no idea about that Op. Southern Watch incident.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

boNes is a walking F-14 encyclopedia. He is also a walking script for Top Gun (both movies) .
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 06:42
boNes is a walking F-14 encyclopedia. He is also a walking script for Top Gun (both movies) .

Haha yes, I guess you can say that I am an encyclopedia.....the old school, type, you know, where you had to subscribe and read it in print...

All kidding aside I have been tapped at some F-14 events as an F-14 technical expert for Q&A and such back in the day. But not so much for being able to quote both movies.

PM, yes, it was great news to me when it happened but at the same time disappointing when the Phoenixes didn't officially get the kills. I was nonetheless excited to hear it when it happened. When I found out the story as to why, it wasn't in too great detail--not that I doubted my RIO friend, but after hearing it straight from the horse's mouth, it was very validating. I was like, "I *KNEW* it!"

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot