Question for Hammer: Maintaining current Throttle and Joystick

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Question for Hammer: Maintaining current Throttle and Joystick

Post by Grifter »

I've been waiting for VKB to release their TECS throttle for ages, and many people have been waiting quite a bit longer than me. My guess is that it's never going to be produced, or if it is, it's unlikely to be available anytime soon.

I own a TWCS throttle, and the ministick is starting to give me problems. Not surprised. I'm going to buy some electronic cleaner and crack the case open to clean the pot, but not without a great deal of hesitation. After all, if I mess this up, I could ruin the throttle. But, this ministick is ghosting inputs and it's starting to really annoy me.

While I'm at it, I think I might finally regrease the rails. Originally, I put Nyogel 797 on the rails and I like the feel for AAR, but that's about it. This grease slows down/provides more resistance than I really like. It's not a deal breaker and I've been flying with it. But, I think I would prefer the superlube that Hammer put on his; he owns the same throttle.

Hammer, do I need to just wipe away the Nyogel with a cloth, or do you have to use alcohol or something to get it off before applying the superlube?

Also, I own a VKB gunfighter. It works perfectly fine, but you're supposed to clean it every six months. Probably not a big deal, but again I hesitate to crack it open. Hammer do you clean your VKB every six months? I'm thinking I will wait until spring and then make the attempt using youtube and instructions from the company. But, again, I'm reluctant to open such an expensive piece of equipment unnecessarily.
Hammer

Re: Question for Hammer: Maintaining current Throttle and Joystick

Post by Hammer »

i would use alcohol on the metal parts, be careful on the plastic parts. if you use alcohol on the plastic, do so sparingly and clean the alcohol off quickly.

i do not clean mine regularly. The only time they get that kind of attention is if I feel the need to relube or something is wrong.
Helmut
Grifter

Re: Question for Hammer: Maintaining current Throttle and Joystick

Post by Grifter »

Yeah, I did a bit more digging yesterday and found that they recommend you disassemble the joystick once a year just to make sure nothing needs lube and everything looks alright: springs, cams, etc. Honestly, I'd prefer not to do so, but it will be two years next spring. Probably should at least look at it and make sure everything is okay.

As for the throttle, something IS wrong and so I'll have to take a look inside soon.

Thanks, Hammer.