Camping Mon

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

Camping Mon

Post by Cr33p3r »

I won't be on for training mon. Going camping locally with my wife. Plan to be back Tues and ready for next liberation turn wed. Just a local state park on a lake. Looking forward to disconnecting.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Camping Mon

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Have fun camping! I tried camping a couple of times back in my late 20's/early 30's and discovered that it's just not for me. It's just too much hassle and feels like work. LOL
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Have fun and be safe!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Have a good time, man!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Memorable trip. Rained Sunday night so we got a bit wet. Slept poorly. Mon night was dry and windy. Woke to 41 degrees. Ate well and slept poorly but good couple days to disconnect with just my wife. Finished a book and started another. Returned to 50 emails and everyone at the office wanting me ha ha.

Easy camping. Pull back into the spot, unload, and camp. Bath/restrooms up the hill. Fresh water spigot about 50 feet away. I tried out my new truck tent while my wife glamped on a 24" air mattress all to herself in the ground tent. We're just up the hill from the lake.
camping1.jpg
PXL_20221017_135209838.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Very nice set up you have there creeper!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks! its taken a while to get all the parts and pieces to make it more comfortable. Camping is fun work in my eyes and the memories always last. We try to go once or twice per year. We've had many good conversations with the children when they aren't distracted by video games.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Cr33p3r,

Nice set up. Love the fact that you're above the lake. Not only is that a pretty spot, but you're away from the humidity from the lake, which will naturally turn your surroundings into a cold cellar and create condensation in your tent.

My wife and I car camp a couple of times a year, too, if we can. We love talking around a good campfire, which is something that's prohibited in our backcountry trips. Why do you think you're sleeping poorly? I'm a bit of gear head and might be able to offer a suggestion or two. I myself have difficulty sleeping in tents. I tend to run hot and find I'm often sweating too much. Working on regulating my heat better so that's not an issue.

My wife and I plan to backpack this weekend. Our expected campsite will be at roughly 3,800 feet. The weather report looks really good right now, but we need to check it again tomorrow afternoon. I suspect that Sunday rain projection may shift and start earlier in the day, which may make for a very wet walk off the mountain. So we'll have to keep monitoring to make sure that the rain doesn't ramp up and come a day early.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Thanks. The poor sleep was due mainly to getting rained on one night and other campers talking til 2am. We've had better and worse experience. its all about the memories.

I did get to play with my camera ND1000 filter and got a pretty good pic (20 sec shutter open):
lake norman.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Nice picture! I will say it stinks when the people next to you don’t respect their neighbors. That’s a bummer. I’ve slept next to human chainsaws and loud party groups. Or much you can do when that happens. My go to solution is earplugs and, when needed, melatonin.

Did your new tent not fair well in the rain?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

haha. my wife had earplugs and slept like a baby. I didn't. Her tent leaked. I used that truck tent and I was dry, but the wind was knocking down acorns all night onto my truck and other stuff so that was pretty loud too. I will bring earplugs next time.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Of course you can go all Jason Voorhees on them. That should solve the problem.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 06:21
Of course you can go all Jason Voorhees on them. That should solve the problem.

v6,
boNes

HAHA! A prank like that is liable to get you shot if you did it on some strangers who are camping just down the lake from you. PDT_Armataz_01_28
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Here is what a falling acorn did to our styrofoam cooler. I took the lid and threw an acorn as hard as I could and it didn't put a hole in it!
acorn bullet.JPG
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Acorns falling from great heights can do that kind of damage, yes. I use a tent made of dyneema cuben fiber (DCF), and that's a concern with that material. It's not a tent I would take out into a significant hail storm or a place where I was expecting significant debris fall from trees. It's typically not a problem, but acorns and the like can do some real damage. Sorry to hear about the leaking tent. My wife and I did the Hundred Mile Wildnerness this past summer, and our brand new Gossamer Gear TWO tent was an epic failure, and we got flooded on more than one night. Fortunately, we were able to use hardened shelters on the trail and complete our trek. We now own a very expensive Tarptent Double Rainbow Li (DCF). It's absolutely waterproof and is outrageously expensive. We're hoping we get a lot of years of service out of it.