Another Idea for Monday Night Training

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Another Idea for Monday Night Training

Post by Bones »

How many of us Hornet drivers remember how to deploy a Walleye?

How many of us Tomcatters remember how to iron dumb bomb in Computer Target mode?

Another idea I had for Monday nights, and this happens in real life, is that from time to time, a pilot has to be checked out for certain weapons or certain things like night strikes or IMC flying. Wouldn't make much sense to send a Hornet driver to kill a ship when he hasn't been cleared and current with the Harpoon, right? So why not dedicate some time to get checked out or current on a specific weapon, etc?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Re: Another Idea for Monday Night Training

Post by Xpendable »

LOL. I just got re-checked on the IR Mavericks in the Harrier Monday morning before work. It took over an hour because I could not, for the life of me, figure out why they would not fire when I pressed the pickle button. I was missing 1 tiny step. I have to work on the laser mavericks next, because I could not get them to fire last week during mission night. It's amazing how rusty you get by not using certain munitions on a regular basis. It's almost like relearning them all over again. I've had to relearn the mavericks multiple times (and at least one of those times was because Razbam changed the way they worked). I have a personal training mission that I setup that has about 30 different Harrier spawns, each setup either on the runway ready to go or in the air already with various different weapons configurations. I've got a bunch of targets setup ready to be taken out with the munitions. I find myself using this mission over and over again for practice.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I almost always go CCIP mode with bombs. I guess just in my nature and less button-presses when you're over the target.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

CCRP mode is great though to stay away from those nasty SAMS and AAA.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Another thing I was thinking for Monday nights to save time is to set each player as invulnerable, or at the very least not use live ordnance. That way if someone is killed, we don't have to wait for them to respawn and fly back, or we won't be facing them with a disadvantage in ordnance. IRL, pilots don't go shooting each other down, heck, they're lucky to live fire a missile once or twice a year. They rely on judgment and the gun camera. If there is a kill, the victim says "copy kill" then "continue" then they press on for another attack. Or they say "flare" or "chaff" and then "continue." It's a little honor system, a little common sense, and probably alot of gun camera (to which we have video) and TACTS range sensors (to which we have TacView).

I set up a mission with several of the planes we fly airstarted at Sochi on both red and blue sides so we can probably use that sometime. No one is set to invulnerable and I only put on the gun. But at least that way if we get killed, we can just respawn airstarted and go again as the planes airstart in close with each other, so heading and altitude mostly. Mason and I used to use that mission for BFM alot and we'd easily get 8+ engagement in inside of half an hour.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:21
CCRP mode is great though to stay away from those nasty SAMS and AAA.
Alebit if dropping iron dumb, it is not as accurate. Best bet is CCRP mode with guided ordnance.

v6,
boNes
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yah - ccrp is quite inaccurate. it sucks that the Mirage ONLY has CCRP for dumb bombs, but has CCIP for rockets and a couple other munitions. Grifter to correct me if I am mis-remembering.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

The mirage does have the ability to drop CCIP, I believe. Or, at least it did at one point. Who knows if RazBam changed it? I’ll have to check.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

not with mk82, for instance. with mk82, it is ccrp only. ccip is available for: snake eyes, belouga, bap (runway bombs). to me it seems very short sighted that mk82's are ccrp only.
Helmut
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I think thats a good idea. If I had to use those Walleyes (as an example) tonight I wouldn't be able to.

We could be set the user to Immortal for Mondays. If we set to restart in air would we have to setup radars and D/L again...etc?
Bones

Post by Bones »

Trichome wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 15:58
I think thats a good idea. If I had to use those Walleyes (as an example) tonight I wouldn't be able to.

We could be set the user to Immortal for Mondays. If we set to restart in air would we have to setup radars and D/L again...etc?
I think tt depends on the mission writer how the aircraft are configured for some of those settings.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hammer,

Interesting. It seems like an odd choice that the Mirage wasn’t designed to CCIP MK-82 unless they are snake eyes. I wonder if this is an error on RazBam’s part or Desault decided that CCIP was too dangerous with standard MK-82’s?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I would also like to know.
Helmut