Xpen, I need help with Scarlet Dawn Edits

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Xpen, I need help with Scarlet Dawn Edits

Post by Grifter »

Hi Xpen,

I'm having problems editing the Scarlet Dawn mission. I was about check the 125 Red Air units for proper waypoints, weapons, etc. Unfortunately, when I click on the unit list, select show hidden units, planes only, red only, the only red air are a flight two MiG-29A's. The unit is titled "Plane Template." This unit has no waypoints. Welp, that stops my effort altogether. Not sure how I can locate, check the other 124 units and review them. Any ideas?
Cr33p3r

Re: Xpen, I need help with Scarlet Dawn Edits

Post by Cr33p3r »

Grifter if you send me the file, i'd be happy to take a look and spend some time deciphering.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I just saw this now. Sorry I didn't see it before. I just logged on to the server and grabbed Operation_Scarlet_Dawn-RLG-1.2.miz from the server's Saved Games missions. I assume that's the mission you want me to take a look at?
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I grabbed the file from the server. When I looked at the red air units, I had a whole bunch but none of them had waypoints. I then decided to grab a fresh copy of Operation Scarlet Dawn from the website here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... s/3313323/

When I opened that up into the ME, I only had a single MIG-29A. I *think* this mission somehow uses spawn templates. On a fresh copy of the mission, nothing is spawned yet so there's nothing populated? I think when something gets spawned, it doesn't use traditional waypoints - instead, it spawns at the location set by the template with the objectives set by the template, and the scripting engine kind of does the rest. At least that's what I think happens. I'm really not sure.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi Xpen and Creeper,

I downloaded and was working with a fresh copy from ED’s user files. I suspected much the same Xpen. That’s could be a real problem. After all, how can I check to make sure that the templates have the right weapons and the right waypoints? Is all this done outside of the ME and instead in a script editor like notepad ++?
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Ok, I'm learning some stuff here. Operation Scarlet Dawn uses the MOOSE scripting framework. There's a whole bunch of stuff hidden under the covers here in the scripts. If you look at the triggers, you'll see the MOOSE framework script (or a modified version from Surrexen) is run. It took me a while to figure out to get access to the scripts. I finally figured out if you rename the ".miz" file to ".zip", you'll find it's actually a zip archive with all of the sound files, scripts, etc. You guys may have already know this - I'm just learning this now. Anyway, these are fairly complex scripts. Lots to dig into!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

there are no red planes to work on in the mission as in previous versions (i just looked at the newest version). so the scripting is being relied upon to spawn red planes (probably blue ai as well).

i have a previous version of Scarlet Dawn on te server (it is running right now) and have prompted you all to try it previously. It is RLG'ed (contains most all of my changes as I outlined in that email), but FARPs and rotary wings would be missing. if it is interesting enough i can get rid of the general ai in it and add the rotary wing stuff for a test.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

and yes, Surrexen uses a heavily modified version of MOOSE.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Yes, without trying it, I can say with some confidence that there would be high interest in this persistent mission as a post Liberation option. I think you should go ahead and take out the ai generals and then post it to the server. Or, if you prefer, send me the mission and I’ll do it. Given our experience with Surexxen’s Persian Gulf and the Caucuses missions, I’m sure we’d all enjoy the Syria mission because it would allow us to create package missions.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, the generals are commented out and it is running on the server. i will see if i can get the rotary wing stuff added before tomorrow afternoon.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

This mission is now on the server and currently running, FARPs included. There are three FARPs, one North, one Central, and one South - to reduce rotary wing flight times. If spawning into a helo, you might want to look at the map so you can see about where they are compared to the current mission.

If anyone can test to see if their expected airframes are in the mission, etc. it would be great.
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Last night I connected to the scarlet dawn mission. I could not choose the ah64. They all said pilot in command. There were a bunch of mi24 and mi8s though I could select so thanks for that!
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I can certainly check it out today or tomorrow afternoon. Obviously, there is no rush to perfect this mission because we’re playing Liberation on Wednesdays at the moment, but it will be nice to have this already set up so we can move right to it when we’re done with the current campaign. :-)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

so i am pretty sure i know what the issue with the apache is. i put in the ah-64D, not the block ii. it seems the block ii is the only model in the game with the ah-64d module. so if we run this as cold war, the apache would not be available. right now it is fine i believe, we are not modeling any particular period. i will fix the mission as soon as i get a chance and re-upload.

for liberation thought, that should be though about/considered.
Helmut
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

that's fine. i can life without the AH64 since its cold war era. I have the Mi8 and Mi24 to keep me satisfied.

Thanks for looking into this in detail.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, Apache's confirmed fixed for Scarlet Dawn. It is running n the server now, pending the new Liberation mission for tonight. If anyone has time to connect and check, let me know if you find things OK. I expect the new Liberation mission sometime later today, so if you find the Liberation mission is running please do not connect until tonight (that kicks off the mission start, we would need to restart the server before flying tonight - although that is not the end of the world).
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Wasn't the Apache (non-Longbow) used in Desert Storm?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yes, AH-64A was 1983-2012 (last being converted to Ds and D block IIs about then). AH-64D was authorized in 1995, and started with 16 airframes in 1996. The D block II was authorized in 2004, re-manufacturing A's and D's into D block IIs.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for that info Hammer
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Since the AH-64D in DCS does not have the FCR implemented yet, we could tentatively use it as if it were an A since we only have the laser for targeting.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot