For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Trichome

DCS - 2023 and Beyond Video

Post by Trichome »

Xpendable

Re: DCS - 2023 and Beyond Video

Post by Xpendable »

Cool. I am excited about the new chopper announcement.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

It would be pretty cool if your buddies could be door gunners.....

I would think they are going to need to expand the available mission sets because I cant think of much we could use the Chinook for at the moment. Im probably wrong though....
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I don't know why Nick Grey feels the need to be so damn cheesy. Really ruins the tone of these videos. That said, lots of teasers in here, most notably for the Chinook, the F4U, and most importantly multithreading. Although, concerning the latter, I wasn't clear on what they meant: "This video was made using multithreading." Does that mean you ran the game using multithreading? Or, did you play the game which uses on single threading, and then process the video using your multithreading cores? I would assume the former, that they are testing code to run the sim in multithreading, FINALLY! But, I won't hold my breath.
Bones

Post by Bones »

It's all well and good but...

...why don't they finish what they started before starting something new that also won't be finished?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Exactly.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Bones wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 18:50
It's all well and good but...

...why don't they finish what they started before starting something new that also won't be finished?

v6,
boNes
This is the sentiment form a lot of players, myself included...

I think some of the problem is ED has so many third party developers and ED themselves taking on a bit to much (re modules and maps - Optimization stuff I think will always be an ongoing issue as tech changes but thats out of my wheelhouse). In these videos I would rather they only show what's ACTUALLY going to be release in 2023 vs adding "and beyond" which makes them seems like they aren't able to commit to when projects will be completed. Not sure how much control they have over non ED Stuff ?

There will always be multiple things being developed just because the of nature DCS... but at least for the modules/maps I think they should keep them hush until they can knowingly be release as complete and no more of this 3yr+ early access stuff. That's my biggest grind. Its out in EA and I want...lol... it but really, I would have no problem waiting for a completed module at time of release. Then they can move on.... Ill even be okay with paying a bit more for a complete item.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Couldn’t agree more, Trichome. You summarize my gripes with ED as well. They really need to reconsider their business model. They should focus on optimizing rather than new releases, although I get that need some irons in the fire to keep up interest and remain solvent. They need to stop announcing crap that isn’t going to be on game in the near future. If they focused on optimaozatio , and hyped that instead: Proper ATC, fleshing out current maps and modules, multi threading, fixing ground unit path finding and perfecting the ground sim (forget what they call it), they would actually attract a lot of attention. Do that and just tease one or two modules instead six, and they will not constantly frustrating their customer base.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

If I ran Eagle Dynamics my first priority would be to dump all of the WWII stuff. Second priority would be to send an email to all registered users asking them if they prefer a smaller number of new modules but at a higher cost per module or if they prefer a higher number of new modules but at a lower price per module.

I'm obviously not an employee of Eagle Dynamics so I lack any "insider" knowledge but my gut feeling is that Eagle Dynamics has so many irons in the fire regarding modules because it's financially necessary for them.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

The ground part was Combined Arms.

I admit interest in the F-4 but only for a Vietnam campaign.

I would also love an A-6, multicrew like the Tomcat and Apache, etc. Jake Grafton, baby...!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot