Liberation - Campaign 2 - Battle of Abu Dhabi

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Trichome

Liberation - Campaign 2 - Battle of Abu Dhabi

Post by Trichome »

Hey Everyone....

Good work on the 1st Campaign.

We started turn 1 last week (map below) and did move the front line forward even though we took some losses.

We are currently on turn 3. Turn 2 was used purchase a couple Hornets at Kish Intl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trichome

Re: Liberation - Campaign 2 - Battle of Abu Dhabi

Post by Trichome »

Turn 1 AAR and Debrief
Map is actually "Turn 3"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Any way to tally what non-AI losses are? For instance 5 Tomcats were lost on blue side. I was the only one flying a Tomcat for blue and I landed. SO I'm assuming the other 4 were AI?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Id have to check the TacView
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Frontline has moved right upto Al Minhab AFB

We took a high number of aircraft losses this round but less than turn 2.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Nice to see we redeemed ourselves trichome by hitting that oil platform. Next time need to wait for the cap before going so deep into enemy territory with the helos.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

One of those SU-25T losses was me and the other one was a friendly AI.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Is there a mission briefing/ATO for tonight? We should plan ahead like we used to and should. When Creeper said next time they should wait for the CAP instead of going deep, that's the kind of thing we should have planned before going wheels up.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I was a bit pressed for time but I just sent Hammer and Xpen the file.

There are a few flight labels I wasn't able to change without deleting and resetting it up. I just didn't have the time. Not a big deal and I'll explain when we start up.

If anyone else wants to try mission prep for the next turn Im good with that. If not, no worries.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Turn 4 Map - I highlighted the Front Line in yellow
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Just a thought on our last sortie tonight. I think, Trichome, we should've taken the TALDs after all. Not so much to get the SAM's to light up, but perhaps give them decoys to shoot at so that we could get closer, and at a reasonable altitude, to get our shots off? What do you guys think of that approach?
Bones

Post by Bones »

I was able to kill them getting high at nearly angels 40 then waiting until they launched on me. I figured if I could see the coast I can get them since that's where they were. I did get an SA-5 and a Tin Shield that way.

Later I came back to cover Trichome and finally FINALLY won against an SA-15. I saw him on the SA page so I set it to 10 nm, and came in low and fast. As soon as "15" appeared at the edge of my SA page, I popped up, leveled my nose, fired the HARM at him, then dove down, and turned away hard, running and chaffing. It resulted in the HARM being fired at him at 5 miles, at high speed form both my airframe and the HARM motor. Trichome and the sim both confirmed the kill. I believe Trichome said that the SA-15 tried to shoot the HARM down but it was too fast and either the SA-15 missed, or it didn't detonate in time since the HARM was so fast.

That was gratifying.

I used the other HARM on am SA-5 and my cluster bombs on the parked F-14A and on the Chieftain tanks (73% damage I think)

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Just to clarify, the SA-5’s are dead?
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

There are still many SA5/6/15's left.....

Turn 4 results - I'm only going to post the debrief going forward. Its shows actual units. Our losses weren't to bad on this one. We def big heavy damage to the enemy.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Turn 5 has been sent to Hammers to upload.

I did amend Khasab to be friendly and placed Panzer / Eyeball / Hammer - 1st flights out of there.
Way points are not amended so you may have only a couple mile flight north before heading back to the S into the battle. or Just skip the "HOLD" waypoint.

This will need to be amended every turn if this works. We cannot amending the existing campaign details during the campaign.

Creeper... I may need some help with that before the next campaign starts. ( https://github.com/dcs-liberation/dcs_l ... -Campaigns )

You can see on the mission map below I have a pair of F16s set to DEAD and attacking every shore based SAM site. Hopefully they do their job and get a couple at least. If anyone else wants to provide input for the next turn Im all ears.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Forgive my ignorance... I understand very little to nothing on these maps / diagrams. I can see an icon for LHA and another for the carrier. But everything else is mostly meaningless to me. I mean I get blue is the good guys and red is the bad guys. But, for example, when you say:

"You can see on the mission map below I have a pair of F16s set to DEAD and attacking every shore based SAM site."

What on the map shows me that? Is there a symbol that is supposed to be for the F-16's? Which symbol is that? Is there a legend somewhere I can find that can help me understand what these symbols mean? Sorry for being dense!
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Xpendable wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 13:23
Forgive my ignorance... I understand very little to nothing on these maps / diagrams. I can see an icon for LHA and another for the carrier. But everything else is mostly meaningless to me. I mean I get blue is the good guys and red is the bad guys. But, for example, when you say:

"You can see on the mission map below I have a pair of F16s set to DEAD and attacking every shore based SAM site."

What on the map shows me that? Is there a symbol that is supposed to be for the F-16's? Which symbol is that? Is there a legend somewhere I can find that can help me understand what these symbols mean? Sorry for being dense!
100% I can see the issue here... my apologies.

Assuming we remember the F10 map and the SAMs along the shoreline I should have said...

You can see on the map below - all the individual flights leading to the shoreline (none further inland)- those are all SAM SR/STR sites and I have set 1 pair of AI F16s per SAM to try and help us destroy some of them.

There is no symbol which tell you its an F16. I really should have just spoken about it while on TS.... it was more of an FYI.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I took some screenshots and I made some notes beside all the symbols I see... Ill do this for our next campaign also but first in the post for anyone's reference. On the both screenshots YELLOW is a SCUD or SILKWORM site symbol. I forgot to add "Silkworm" to the bottom screenshot. Its the same icon for both.

Sorry for the confusions and 100% valid Xpen. Thanks for bringing it up.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

No worries, thanks for the clarifications and explanations. Much appreciated!
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

We did well last night. We lost a few aircraft but I'm gonna blame AI mostly for that - 5xF16s !!!

Good news is we Captured Al Minhab and the base is ours to use. I have used turn 6 and 7 to purchase more equipment and shuttle squadrons around - to Al Minhab from Bandar Abbas.

M2000
F16
F18
UH1
Hinds
Ka 50s
Mi8s
Apaches
Su25Ts
Av8b

Are all at Al Minhab now. We still have AV8, Hinds and Apaches on the LHA.