TDC Slew in F/A-18C with New Update

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

TDC Slew in F/A-18C with New Update

Post by Bones »

Once again, ED just writes it off as, "That's the way it is in real life, deal with it" without considering that people with certain types of hardware might not have that capability.

I'm sure those of you who fly the F/A-18C have noticed how fast the TDC slews now. I don't mind it so much in the radar MFD, but it makes it extremely hard to target anything with precision in the Maverick MFD.

I looked up the new fast slewing nature of the TDC and this someone said:
Yes, they intended to do that, it's in the patch notes. Reason is a 2-years-ago request on F18 forum by some users, supported by 2 seconds of a Youtube video where cursor, on an unidentified BUNO and model of F18, slewed so fast, but you could not understand, by watching those 2 seconds, if radar was in test mode by ground crew (radar was turned off by simply slewing in the video, that's very suspicious) or if it was in actual working mode (I hope ED asked their SMEs for confirmation before the change).

Some users are now even asking to fasten FLIR and SA cursor too on F18 forum (request was moved in wishlist by Nineline).

I cannot fly anymore proficiently F18 due to this change and I am really furious this time with ED, because I support the team by buying a lot of modules and I would have appreciated a more reasonable and mature approach on this 'feature'.

Even if real slewing should be so fast (and it's an 'if', until an official statement about confirmation by SMEs), we are on a sim, not on real plane with real HOTAS, therefore we emulate the real thing with a limited hardware and not a lot of us own a top-tier 350$ throttle with sensitive hat-switch for slewing, so a custom slider for slewing speed would have been a more intelligent and inclusive customer-care solution by ED.

Saturation and curves on axis are not a real solution too, because you can indeed limit a bit the actual speed of cursor on radar by playing with them (I did it setting saturation to 60/100), but cursor moves like a turtle on SA and FLIR page then.

Besides, ED seems to have forgotten that they implemented TDC slewing by keyboard bindings too, so they let user theoretically slew by keyboard.

Well, I challenge ED's staff to slew by keyboard the cursor with the actual lightning speed.
ED's reply was just a post that that is correct as is, and they posted a YouTube video of a real Hornet where the TDC is fast. I can accept if it is that way in the radar MFD that they showed. But what about Mavericks, which they never showed. Does the Maverick slew that fast in real life? I doubt it, and I brought that up, let's see what they say.

it's just so frustrating that ED takes that kind of attitude with things. This is my number one complaint with them when dogfighting an AI in close. Never mind that an aircraft IRL would lose energy the way they defend, or their pilot would black out, or that they can see you in the clouds but you can't see them. ED says it's not broken, so they won't fix it, and we get to deal with it.

It's maddening.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Re: TDC Slew in F/A-18C with New Update

Post by Trichome »

Ill have to give this a go tonight. I havent used the Hornet since the last update.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Bones can you post a link to the ED forum your commenting in?

I cant find it..... Thanks.
Bones

Post by Bones »

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Very disappointing. There was nothing wrong with it as is. I will have to try it tonight to see how much of an issue it is.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, it's irritating to use when you're trying to dial in the TDC cursors over the target bug, but it's not horrible. I guess all those years of playing with finicky, jittering control systems has finally paid off. I can see it costing you a life or two in mission because you couldn't quite get a lock in time. But, it should work fairly well for the most part. If you're that close, you should probably have your HMCS on and your head looking out of the cockpit anyway. So, it probably will be a nuisance from time to time, but nothing too terrible. I found I can fine tune my inputs by simply lightening up on the amount of pressure I apply to my thumb stick, tapping the cursor over the target to lock up.
Bones

Post by Bones »

It's bearable in the radar MFD, but not so in the Maverick MFD.

v6,
boNes
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Can't be the way it realistically works. I've seen video of Maverick MFD slewing and it's not that fast, imo.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Are you guys using analog hats? I believe most TDC's use analog controls that allow you to slew fast or slow or anything in between by how much you push it in a direction. If you are using simple 8 way digital hats you won't be able to replicate that correctly.