Got LOMAC for my B-day! Yay! Only one problem....

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Got LOMAC for my B-day! Yay! Only one problem....

Post by Grifter »

It doesn't work. I can get it to load to the main menu but when I go to the option screen or hit fly on one of the planes, it crashes out to desktop and gives me a generic failure message.

Win 98 SE
Athlon xp1900
Radeon 9500 Pro (installed latest drivers this morning.)
Soundblaster (latest drivers installed.)
Uninstalled and Reinstalled game, numerous attempts to solve problem. Anyone got any ideas?
Red Dog

Grifter, look here

Post by Red Dog »

This may help you, not sure. I'm still waiting for my copy at Christmas 8O
http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_ ... s&id=zzwem
Boy is this a machine...
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

A work around for 98? Thanks Reddog, but that's just madness! madness I say?! Man that sucks but I appreciate the tip. thanks again.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

What do you guys think? They say that in order to fly the full version in 98 you have to use the demo first each and every time. Must initialize a .dll or something. But someone pointed out that the demo must have simpler flight models or textures. Is it really worth doing the workaround or will I be missing out on something that I should be getting with the full version? I mean do you think the demo is simpler and so I'm really not playing the full version as advertised? sigh this sucks. I would load xp up but it simply won't on my comp. Tried and tried and basically I need to buy a new motherboard, which I'm not going to do just for lockon. *&#)@!(*$. Should I just wait for a patch...pray for a patch?
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Got it to work with the workaround that RedDog suggested. Thanks Red. Don't think it changes the game any to use it but then shrug. who knows.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Grifter, Hi long time since i spoke to you buddy!

Just spotted you post, and i had read about the Win98 issue on the Lomac forums but i see that Red Dog got the info too you first.

It is crazy that you have to run the demo and then shut that down and then start the main game, but Lomac seems to be full of little bugs Win98 and Nforce2 boards being the 2 major compatibility problems.

I thought you had got that XP problem sorted with the abit board you have since we seem t be sharing the same system specs these days sme processor and Mobo.

XP runs fine on m Abit KR7A that Madrus sent me and i have reinstalled it about 5 times since i got it, but i dont have a good enough vid card to run Lomac though (Kyro II 4500 64mb) so even with the windows 98 workaround you still have the jump on me in the being able to play it at all side of things, since none of the planes get rendered in my pc at all they are all black shapes with no detail in my PC.

So i have decided to make missions for you guys to fly Lomac with while i wait to save enough cash to get a new vid card.

What goes wrong with your Xp install on your pc, since we both have near identical setups i might, just might be abe to help you out there.

Enjoy Lomac buddy you'll love it, i have been listening to the guys plait OL the las 2 weeks and they are having a great time so i am sure you will to.

OH and Happy Birthday Grif hope you had a great day

:wink:
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Nemisis:

Hey man, good to talk to you. I will hook up with you sometime and explain the abit prob. I don't know if this makes a difference, but mine is a KR7A Raid. not KR7A. I'm sure it doesn't make a difference. Anyway, I'll pm you soon.
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

the only difference is that the KR7A Raid has a RAID controller added to control a RAID use of multiple hard drives.

That board worked well for me for about a year. i even had dual boot 98SE and XP Pro installed with it. then i tried to reformat and reinstall XP Pro only (can't remember why, but probably because i was rearranging the drives and getting tired of 98SE crashes).

I could not install XP pro at all; i could reinstall 98 SE, but could not finish the XP install. so i bought another computer i was so pissed. it sat for a few months and then I gave it to Nemisis rather than throw it away and hoped that he could use it.

funny thing - it worked for Nemisis, XP and all. I have no idea why. maybe that trip across the pond shook something loose or something. :?
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

yeah, Hudson and I tried like hell to get this board to work with xp but no luck. We disconnected and reconnected everything... using only the hardware we needed to install xp: a cdrom, hard drive. We tried a different hd... we tried just about everything he could think of. Well, maybe there is an update for the bios now that fixes the problem. shrug.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

I know i have not upgraded the bios on my board still using the stock one seems strange, maybe its that funny electric current you guys use thats the problem, good old 240V AC at 50 hz is what you need.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Here is Abit's page on the KR7A series motherboards:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/mb/kr7a.htm

Exactly what happens when you install XP and it 'does not finish'? What error message and symptoms?
Helmut
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Cool find Steel, it also has a diagram that CLEARLY shows what connections are what for extra usb ports have been trying to figure that out for ages, the manual is good for everything bar this one thing.

Grifter is this the problem you have had?? The one under Quick XP install guide??
Hudson

Grifter's mobo

Post by Hudson »

Damn thing reboots very early on in the install. We're talking before it even finishes loading the initial drivers on the blue screen with the grey bar at the bottom. At least it's not at the very end, but still...

I tried everything. Like Grif said we ripped EVERYTHING out. I bought a 64 MB memory DIMM to make sure that wasn't it, I even tried a different hard drive and then a different cdrom drive. We tried a different graphics card. Several different XP CD's to make sure we didnt have something scratched. Tried an XP CD with SP1 slipstreamed. Pulled everything out just to see if we could get it to boot to the setup screen. Hell I started the initial install on a different machine and moved it into his system and it still died. We change BIOS settings in every way shape and form, especially concerning power management. That bastard would not get to the setup screen.

Tried hitting F5 and choosing different machine types to see if that would get it.

The only thing odd about the system besides that was that the CMOS battery was apparently dead as it lost all settings when it was unplugged but that should not have had an effect. :roll:

I work with computers, and I don't take no for an answer. But that is one mother f'ing indignant system. Unfortunately Grif wouldn't let me use the sledgehammer on it. He just upgraded the BIOS last night I think so who knows. He could certainly stick the disk in and see if he gets to the setup screen without doing any harm. If it gets that far we might even be able to get to the rest of the way. If not we can replace the CMOS battery too. But beyond that I cannot imagine what the problem is.

But you tell me, replaced the video, replaced the RAM, tore out any network, sound, modem, etc., replaced the hard drive, and replaced the CDROM drive, and still no go... About the only thing still the same is the mobo, power supply, and processor. He could certainly get a new mobo for fairly cheap that is compatible with his memory/processor, but it's disparaging considering that he has a nice board that _should_ work...
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Huson Wrote
The only thing odd about the system besides that was that the CMOS battery was apparently dead as it lost all settings when it was unplugged but that should not have had an effect
This might be a wild shot in the dark but are you sure the CMOS battery was Dead??

That Mobo is the same as mine except for the Raid ability and as such there is a jumper next to the CMOS battery that can be set to clear the Bios and then reset to hold the bios info again, its a good little jumper that i have had to use when i was messing with bios settings and the damm thing would not boot up after i changed the wrong thing.

I then put the jumper to the correct setting to clear the Bios back to original default settings, So what i am trying to say is (i'll get there in the end! :roll: )

If the jumper for the CMOS is Set up to clear the BIOS and you are trying to install XP on it and you set the BIOS up as soon as the system reboots the BIOS will clear back to default settings causing problems for the XP setup program and if the jumper is trying to clear the BIOS continuously while installing XP well god know what problems you would get.

So did you guys check the CMOS jumper or not?? If so then i am just wasting my time except to get another post listed in my name LOL.

If not i'd check it out ASAP as this might be the problem, I know you got Win 98 to install but Win 98 is not so Bios dependant well not as complexly (is that the right spelling??) dependant any way.

Hope i was of some help, If not well it's good to talk aint it!!
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Ya. We checked the jumper, eight ways to sunday. I was very hopeful when I saw that in the manual. My hopes were dahed when I saw that it was set properly. I even tried the other way and then back again for the heck of it. No joy.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Raptor,

I suppose it's possible that it could be the CPU but I have not seen any ill effects or problems with this comp other than the fact that I can't get xp loaded. Could be the fan? But that would mean I'm running my system hot and I would think I would see other issues? hmm. Any case, I mess around with it this summer....yes this summer. Why wait so long? well I can get LOMAC to run and run well as far as I can tell so far. RVS works great and I host games without a hitch usually. No sense is screwing with it and missing out on what little valuable game time I have. I'll keep you all posted about how this is going. I love hate computers.