Grrrrrr, Arrrgggghhhh, and Rawwwrrrr

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

Grrrrrr, Arrrgggghhhh, and Rawwwrrrr

Post by Hudson »

I bought an Audigy 2 ZS to put in the shiny new Shuttle PC (fit like a glove would be putting it mildly; I have like 1 mm to spare; those XPC's are indeed mini) and it gained me like a whopping 2 or 3 fps. Overall the game runs smooth; but if I play kamikazee on a T80 in the A10 and actually hit it, the game slows to a frikkan crawl when i pass through the smoke. This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. It's some freakin smoke....

I do notice that my frame rates in RvS are much steadier though, so I guess it wasn't all bad; but RvS didn't slow down enough to notice it in the least unless I actually turned on the fps counter, so really it's pointless.

Uggh who at Ubi do I have to kill to get decent framerates?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

shall i say "Shuttle????" again?
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

or maybe it is because you are a linux weenie... my most sr and best linux engineer could not run windows to get out of a wet paper bag...with the hole already started. ;)
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

and what's wrong with shuttle? I don't know anything about them but I imagine that if Hudson bought one, they're decent? :?
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

They are decent; everything I read about the shuttle XPC cases says performance and stability is very good. Not the top, but still very close. I've never had stability problems, and the only performance problems are with UBI games. Holy mother of god you should see how fast BF 1942 runs.

And this Linux weenie, isn't exactly a Linux weenie. My Windows PC's never crash without my permission. Well, OK that's not true, but they almost never crash without my permission.

Just so ya know where my experience is coming from, I've (successfully) run DOS 3.3, 6.2, 6.22, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 3.11 for Workgroups, 95 (OSR1, 2, and 2.1, if you wanna be all technical about it), 98 & 98se, ME, NT 3.51, 4.0 server and workstation, 2000 Pro server and workstation, 2003 server, XP Pro, OS2 4, Novell Netware SAA 3.11 (yes that's right for mainframe connectivity), 6.0, and 6.5, RedHat 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9, and Fedora 1, various other distributions for the hell of it, Solaris 8, 9, and 10 Early Access, BeOS 4 & 5, various versions of OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and probably some others I haven't mentioned. Can I count Citrix Winframe 1.7, 1.8, and XP 1.0 FR3? Citrix is afterall almost its completely own animal.

More of an OS enthusiast than a linux weenie...

And I've had NT 4.0 server with up times in excess on 1 year, despite what anyone is willing to say about its stability. That does say that I was lacking in my desire to actually patch the thing, as anyone on the Technet Security Mailing list will know Microsoft likes to barrage us with patches almost every Wednesday. I was never so bad with 99% of the servers my group was responsible for, and definately not the public facing IIS servers.

As for what's my professional experience? Windows 3.1, Windows 95 OSR2, Windows XP Pro , Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server, Windows 2000 Pro and Server, Windows 2003, RedHat Linux 7.2, 8, and 9, OS2 Warp 4, Novell 3.1, and Novell 6, Citrix Winframe 1.7, 1.8, and XP. Mind you this doesn't cover all the glorious CLI's like IPSO (checkpoint on nokia ip device, vxworks (contivity vpn switches), IOS (cisco routers & switches, duh), extremeware (extreme switches) and so on.

That's just the OS'es I've dicked around with mind you. Forget the services, and actually things they they do to make themselves useful.

And not to be a total braggart and snot but my SNA server knowledge far exceeds that of anyone else I know. It's all of course useless in my opinion as anyone with a bit of sense would implement Enterprise Extender services, even if they did have to use a Microsoft SNA server for backwards compatibility with shit APPC applications requiring MS SNA clients (HIS2004 has support, currently beta testing) making all the legacy SNA stuff obsoleted either by TN3270 (preferably with SSL) or Enterprise Extender and so on, or some other form of TCP/IP connectivity.

Have I put you to sleep yet?

If that's not enough yet, please give me some time, I'm only 25, haven't had time to do everything yet. But I will get there before I die.

So ya, if you're Sr. Linux admins can't run a Windows PC to get out of a Wet Paper Bag, that's what you get for hiring Linux weenies. However, I am not a Linux weenie.

So there.

Bite me.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Signed yours truly,
Hudson
Hudson

P.S.

Post by Hudson »

The only complaint about the shuttle XPC's is the noise. They were serious about that part too. I don't mind it anymore; especially since when I listen to music I just turn it up louder, when I play games I have the headphones on and cant here it, and I've learned to tune it out the rest of the time, but ya I almost lost it the first time I turned it on.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

geez luise dude - takin' things a bit personal, eh?

shuttles in my experience are good for business desktops. that is why i build my own game pc, and the same with my servers. to each his own. there is so much technology out there that opinions and experiences vary greatly and wildly.
Helmut
Hudson

Well...

Post by Hudson »

I still don't see how it isn't building your own PC by buying one of these. The mobo comes bolted to the case/power supply. That save about 5 minutes of work over your typical custom job....

You cram all the other parts in yourself...

And as far as the noise of these systems goes I just found out this morning that Shuttle is having SilenX make the power supplies for their XPC's now; best of all it will work with existing XPC's as well, and from reviews they are as quiet as the name suggests they should be.

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=466&pid=1719

so I'm kind of excited to get my hands on the power supply. Having one of these babies 8O AND quiet at that, I'm alll... alll... . :lol:
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

Wow, you really set Hudson off, Steel.

Speaking of experience, my first computer experience was learning Fortran with punch cards and running programs on a mainframe. I think it was steam powered. I played Pong when it first came out. I had a TI-99 and a Commodore 64. Storage was a tape recorder. And we still used slide rules when I was in Engineering school.

I am amazed every day by what our computers can do (at least most of the time).

I am waiting for computers that play back smell and taste as well as audio and video. Can you imagine what our WOF sessions would be like then?

"Raptor, was that you or did someone forget to flush the toilet?"

"OMG Kodiak, I can't back you up in CQB anymore when you have hagis or whatever that Scottish food is) for dinner."

I have no idea what any of this has to do with Hudson's computer or LOMAC - I just get like this sometimes.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hudson is easily excitable...shrug.
Madrus

Post by Madrus »

I think we need a callsign change for Hudson. Let's have some suggestions:

1. MG - because Hudson is the guy most likely to carry a machine gun in RvS.

2. Psycho

3. Linux guy - cuz this seems to set him off

4. BFG - because this is the weapon he wants to carry in RvS.

:wink: :lol: :lol:
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Softball

Name for Hudson

Post by Softball »

The name I nominate for Hudson is:

RAMBO

Because he loves the M60 in RvS. 8)

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hudson

I had a TI-99/4A too.

Post by Hudson »

You can download an emulator here:
http://www.mess.org/

If you want to really fuck with one of the old timers start their computer up at work, and run MESS full screen emulating a TI-99/4A (or commodore 64); it's a great mornings worth of amusement; trust me I've done it :lol:
Hudson

And yes...

Post by Hudson »

When I say superior firepower, I mean a bigger and heavier weapon.

Hell here's a pic of the paintball gun. As you can see I've even modified that into a machine gun. Only thing it is missing in the picture is the full automatic trigger frame; it's on back order...