F-15 in a Flat Spin!

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

KODIAK

F-15 in a Flat Spin!

Post by KODIAK »

Been giving it some today in LO-MAC, trying out my small alterations to Madrus' Cougar profile, and found myself pulling deep into the vertical just to nip a sidewinder up the arse of a MiG-25. Then there I was, oops! 8O Stalling-in, now what was it they said you should do? oh yeah, kick opposite rudder and push the nose down as much as possible. Nothing! 5 secs go by, and still nothing . . . . . . :? Eh . . . .yeah, and another 5 secs later . . . still nothing . . . . .down to 10,000 ft and we really look like we're struggling, the nose is down but we're still too flat, and we're still turning . . . .5,000 ft coming up and it's still not looking good, the spin is slowing but the ground looks awfully close . . .and then the nose drops violently . . . .yes, here we go and this is going to be real close . . .250 ft and I simply got to get the nose up a bit more. I'm sure I trimmed the hedges you know. But, most importantly it worked and I got out of it.
Not once, but twice I managed to get out of it. I was impressed that the correct IA drills worked. 8O Mind you, in a real F-15, I'd have been gone as soon as the 5,000 ft line came up (maybe even a little sooner!) :wink:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Although not as often as in Il-2, I do find myself departing sometimes in LOMAC, and I've recovered about 50% of the time. My average is far better in Il-2.
The Jedi Master
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Erm not to boast or anything but i do depart sometimes in Lomac, sometimes i force my F15 into a flat spin deliberately just for fun and have never not got out of it!

I find getting out of a spin in Lomac very very easy, here is how to do it.

Do not put any stick input at all just full opposite rudder when the spin stops go full burner and just keep it level mostly through use of the rudder and you will recover very quickly.

I tried this technique in IL2 Vanilla as well and it works a treat.

To control spin and stall recovery, Rudder control alone can get you out faster and have noticed that left or right stick input actually makes the plane more unstable. Just put her on full throttle when the spin stops!

Easy peasy!
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

I had a terrible time getting out of a spin in IL-2FB. Using all the standard spin procedures, it took 7500m to recover!
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

7500M! 8O takes me about an hour (ok slight exaggeration) to get over 3000M in IL2 it takes ages to get any hieght in IL2 i find!

On a few of the stock missions there ae enemy planes coming in at 6000m that you have to intercept and i can't even get that high! I reach about 4000M and im at stall speed at level flight and if i try to go higher then the old flat spin happens but it only takes me 1000M to recover and it's all in the rudders :D
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

I suspect that may only work for aircraft with the luxury of an excess in power-to-weight ratio.
Firstly, the standard procedure, is to push the stick forward until you can obtain the nose below the horizon (30 - 45 degrees recommended depending on the aircraft type). As you are aware, this is to assist in building speed to enable you to 'fly' out of the stall. Not to mention, the secondary effect of "wing-over" caused by one wing 'travelling' faster than the other in the spin, so not only are you fighting against the spin with the rudders, you need to apply a certain amount of opposite roll too.
My first time out doing stall practice, I pushed the stick forward way too quickly, before I knew it we were looking almost straight down. Vne came up well fast, and the instructor kinda calmly noted that I might want to get off the stick - NOW! 8O :roll: . So we did it again, and again, and again. Before you know it I was talking him through the entire stall process, from entering the stall to the recovery, and subsequent procedures. Confidence is everything in those sort of situations, it allows you to remain totally calm and able to focus on what you're doing, which in turn makes it all so much easier. Then, just when I thought the day was over - the instructor looked like he needed a cuppa after all that - he turned and said "Okay, let's try spins now!" Jeez, talk about a glutton for punishment. :lol:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

I don't think the technique in itself is as important as timely action taken. By that I mean the most important part of the equation is realising you are in a spin, or flat spin and taking the correct action. Of course it's important to use correct tehnique but more important to employ that technique in a timely fashion. I believe the longer it takes you to realise you have the problem, the more difficult it is to retrieve the situation.