FC still has issues?

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

FC still has issues?

Post by Hammer »

Doing some reading on FC, and it seems the F-15 still has issues with avionics, and so do the aim-120's, and some other issues?

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=8813

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=73782#post73782 (go to last page where the current release is discussed)
(especially pay attention to iff capability of russian jets vs f-15)

now with that said I know they are working on 1.2. can you folks with 1.1 please comment on the above? it is stuff like that which turns me off - overmodeling one aspect and not being accurate on others (prolly won't get DW because of that).
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I dont know. Seems like the typical crop of "whiners" that every game seems to have (IL-2 comes to mind). I have NO problems shooting down Russian jets when I fly the F-15 and I'm no flight sim "expert".
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yeah - there will always be those...

is it true that when russian jets get a radar contact it immediately id's friend or foe though? (one bar vs two bars?)
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Although not intent on purchase of the latest LOMAC title, I have to say that much as we all strive for that realism - there is a distinct difference between critical analysis of the capabilities and shortfalls of any game, and continual slagging-off that goes on in any one forum, that we all see.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Hmmm. The problem with the IFF is I always remember there being A-50's up. Unlike the F-15/E-3/E-2 setup, the Russian fighters have a data link. So while it usually provides you with instant IFF, that is probably the way it really is. Now if there are no A-50's, that does mean the Russian jets get it a little easier WRT IDing a target.

Many of these things really only matter when playing H2H since the AI always knows what's going on.
I suppose the real problem is "what's realistic" vs "what's modeled" being mistaken with "what's fair." No one said plane A should never be at a disadvantage to plane B.

I've not done enough flying yet with the planes in 1.1 to say yes or no, one way or the other.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Yes, I think the main problem is exactly that - the AI not being programmed with the 'realistic' sense of SA. For example, a very low level run through a mountain range, is unlikely to be detected easily by a patrol of enemy aircraft, without any other form of support. The Mark I eyeball can't detect something it cannot see.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well i know the ai always know to come after you if you get withing 10 klicks or so in IL2, which they would not in RL as you are not within visual range. they just magically know.

does the ai have the same advantage in lomac?
Helmut
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

The AI in Lomac has always had exactly that type of advantage to an enormous degree and is one of Lomacs main bugs.

The AI in Lomac know where you are even if you haven't taken off yet and are 500 miles away!! No joke just proven fact, the AI have supreme SA at all times and changing the skill level does not change this fact it only changes how well they can fly against you, but they still know exactly where you are.

If it wasn't for this amazing all seeing eye in Lomac the AI in Lomac would behave a lot better and be a lot more realistic in behaviour.

That said i will stil be getting FC as soon as my wallet allows for it.
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Of course, the difference over Il-2 is that you could use AWACS/GCI to explain a large part of their behavior. We get regular updates from AWACS ourselves on where groups of planes are, too.
Of course, if their primary mission is not to go after enemy planes but rather ground attack or antiship or whatever they won't bother with you until you get to attack range.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Yes, that is true, of course. But they get too much of an advantage really, eh?
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Well, I suppose if it was a US vs Russian jet H2H match with all humans you might consider the US side disadvantaged, although the AMRAAM's fire and forget is a strong one that only the MiG-29S can counter.
I think when playing vs AI in coop, though, it's a non-issue. The AI can always do things you can't. :)
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Well, they perform perfect turn rates, with correct Gs, and the correct AOA etc.,