Assessment of Lock On

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Assessment of Lock On

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So how have you guys liked Lock On online so far? I know some of the missions we've played have had some problems like very long flying distances for the A-10 so I'll try and look for some new missions this week.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i am still learning...

graphics and sensation of flight are very good.

i am having a difficult time with moving the cursor and locking onto a target before getting within firing range of the target (SAM's).

i do not necessarilly like the respawn thing and lack of AI when a plane is designated as human flyable. falcon is much more workable in that aspect. respawn is o.k. i guess, but you should be able to respawn into another plane already on mission, not starting over again. that would alleviate some of the very long flight times in the a-10.

not sure if we will see another patch to fix some of the f-15 stuff that jedi has encountered (air speed/flight envelope). figures it was developed by russians and therefore the f-15 is crippled. almost enough to turn me off again... do ai have the same limitations in the f-15? any way to check that out?
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:i am still learning...

i do not necessarilly like the respawn thing and lack of AI when a plane is designated as human flyable. falcon is much more workable in that aspect. respawn is o.k. i guess, but you should be able to respawn into another plane already on mission, not starting over again. that would alleviate some of the very long flight times in the a-10.
All of those settings you described are determined by the mission maker, not the game. I've played online missions where respawns were disabled, I've also played missions where there were plenty of AI-only controlled planes. I guess the moral of the story is that I need to get off my ass and start learning how to make missions or at least learn how to modify missions with the editor. :wink:
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

oh yeah - that is one thing i was going to mention... we should probably make our own missions, or they need to be previewed before using on a flight night.

i know it is work, but it worked well for falcon... i have been thinking about getting back into that instead of trying to do the campaign thing all the time there as well...
Helmut
Softball

Post by Softball »

As unrealistic as it may be, I prefer to leave the respawns in. The game tracks the number of times you are shot down, so your evaluations could be based on your mission success (number of targets hit) and/or failures(deaths). In Lock On it's hard enough to stay alive as it is, adding no respawns would get me to stop playing real fast. I want to have FUN and sitting there dead while everyone else gets to play is not my idea of fun. Leave respawns in.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I have to agree with Softball. After all, the ultimate purpose of our group is to get together and have FUN online. Its nice recreating a somewhat realistic environment when we play a flight sim but that is secondary.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i did not say to turn off respawns... i thought i was asked for an assesment?

i don't like the way they do it. it is bad enough with respawns on...you have to fly all the way back to the action - and depending upon the plane/misson it can take way too long.

but, we certainly can not do anything about the way they do respawns.

but maybe creating our own missions, or someone previewing them ahead of time will help a lot to alleviate the issues...
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Something I read at SimHQ indicates that AI and humans don't have the same FMs for the same planes, so F-15 vs human-flown 29 isn't the same as F-15 vs AI 29 as far as what the 29 can do.
The Jedi Master
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Jedi Master wrote:Something I read at SimHQ indicates that AI and humans don't have the same FMs for the same planes, so F-15 vs human-flown 29 isn't the same as F-15 vs AI 29 as far as what the 29 can do.
Ah, so in that case its just like IL-2 and CFS 3. :roll: