Cpt. Royce Williams

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Cpt. Royce Williams

Post by Hammer »

Korean navy pilot: Royce Williams has a story like no other. In 1952, he alone faced seven Soviet MiG-15s in a dogfight, shooting down four and suffering massive damage to his jet – and in an impossible feat, he made a near perfect landing back at his carrier.

He was instructed to keep this incident a military secret for more than 50 years – but after the story came out, I began a determined campaign in Washington to upgrade Royce beyond his Silver Star he received so long ago.

I would like to know more, might see if I can attend the ceremony.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Re: Cpt. Royce Williams

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Wow, amazing story indeed. Admittedly, I had never heard of this incident until I read your post.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Neither had I.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hammer,

I knew some details about this. Saw a documentary on it, but it was rather poor in quality. Did you make a concerted campaign to upgrade Royce beyond his silver star, or did you copy/paste this statement from something you had read?

Grif.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Wow, great story!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

They upgraded him to the Navy Cross!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/asia/kor ... index.html

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

That's great news!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

He was awarded the Navy Cross last week, the ceremony was 2 days after I got the email from my Congressman, so was unable to arrange attendance (or even find out where the ceremony was).

No, I did not even know about this as I said above. That was a quote from the email from my Congressman, he helped get the silver start upgraded to Navy Cross.
Helmut
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thats amazing... 100% deserved. Glad he's still around to get the proper recognition.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 19:25
http://navylog.navymemorial.org/williams-royce

97 years old!

What an illustrious career this guy had. He joined the USN at 18 and stayed in active service until 55!

I noticed he had his fighter training at Opa Locka which is about 15 miles north of where I live.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Good Story and Thanks for sharing.

My Great Uncle flew with the Jolly Rogers back in 1942 ( Aka Scull Squadron) He retired a decorated Captain in the United States Army Air Force.
Modify my post and see if I care - We're in the pipe 5 by 5
Bones

Post by Bones »

Falker939 wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 16:31
Good Story and Thanks for sharing.

My Great Uncle flew with the Jolly Rogers back in 1942 ( Aka Scull Squadron) He retired a decorated Captain in the United States Army Air Force.

So your uncle started out in the US Navy and retired in the USAAF?

v6,
boNes
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

Are you fact checking me? Just say what you think know and get it over with..
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

No, he is not. It does not make a lot of sense that someone started in the Navy and then went to the USAAF. So just asking questions. It would be interesting to know why he would have switched services, for example. Sometime there are pretty interesting stories there.
Helmut
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

So okay I had to dig it up again ( Thanks Bones :) -

My Uncle Robert was in the 85th Fighter Squadron , 79th Fighter Group , 12th AAF , "The Flying Skull" which was activated on g Feb 1942 and redesignated as 85th Fighter Squadron on 15 May 1942.

Still .. Skull Squadron came to mind :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falker939

Post by Falker939 »

It turns out he was a Lt. Colonel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Hammer wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 17:02
No, he is not. It does not make a lot of sense that someone started in the Navy and then went to the USAAF. So just asking questions. It would be interesting to know why he would have switched services, for example. Sometime there are pretty interesting stories there.
Just so you know, this is not unheard of. C. W. Lemoine is an author and former fighter pilot that has a YouTube channel and is pretty welll known. He started in the USAF and was originally an F-16 pilot. Then he transferred to the USN Reserves and became an F-18 pilot. Then he transferred back to USAF Reserves flying T-38's as red air before he retired just a couple of years ago.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Great photos Falker. Thanks for sharing!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

That's a cools tory Falker!

My first cousin (ring bearer in my wedding) is in the USAF flying F16's. He was cross-trained in the F/A-18 and was at MCAS Beaufort SC training Marine pilots. Now he's back in the USAF in F-16's training pilots at Shaw AFB. He never did leave the USAF and, to his dismay, never got to land the F18 on a carrier. :) He also did a stint at the pentagon for 9 months with some security training or something that got him a pay raise.

My great Uncle served in the AAF in northern africa servicing B-17's that were being ferried to Russia during WW2 under the lend lease program. I had no idea the US gave them to them as part of that deal. He lived into his 90's before passing. Took 2 aspirin every morning of his life.