Saturday Night Ribs

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Post by Falker »

Thanks for the Reynolds Wrap Foil trick. That works great. I bought me some Jack Daniels spicey barbecue sauce and rapped it up with ribs for about 30 minutes on the Q. It came out good with the meat about falling off the bone. Then I grilled them for a few more minutes. Those were some good ribs.

I have a tip I’ll try to squeeze in the message try. I discovered it by mistake when I got the wrong order at the drive through.:)
We're in the pipe , five by five.
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Your welcome Falker. I forgot to say only wrap in one layer of foil though, I made the mistake of doing two. My que time was all thrown off and I was pissed. Also try beer can chicken.

1 whole chicken
1 can of beer
Seasoning, whatever you like fresh or out of the jar
1 cast iron skillet (must be cast iron to go on the grill)
Reynolds wrap thick foil.
Butter

Pop beer can, drink a third (whatever you have in fridge is fine cheaper the better), put some seasoning into can with beer, sit in cast iron skillet. Butter skin of chicken, sit chicken on beer can (this is not sexual LoLoLoL). Season to your liking the body of the chicken. Put foil over chicken. Find your cool spot on the grill and put the cast iron skillet center mass over said cool spot. Cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours then remove foil then move skillet close to hot spot allow skin to crisp for about half hour or to your taste. Remove from grill let rest for about 20 minutes then eat. This can also be done in the oven at about 350 degree's.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Softball

Post by Softball »

Pop beer can, drink a third (whatever you have in fridge is fine cheaper the better)
I know you do this to make room for the seasoning, but I found it quite funny. Especially coming from DA. Drink 1/3 of a beer, then prepare food. Like you are sneaking in a sip before you start. Guess you had to be there. Lol.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

If your gonna foil the ribs, you might want to add a braising liquid to them prior to the foil. What that does is break down the tendons and sinew and will make them fall off the bone. Also I highly recommend taking (pulling) that layer of membrane off the back side of the ribs as foiling tends to make it thick and rubbery and overall yucky. Use an end of a knife to get it started near the end of a rib and sort of wrap it around the knife blade so you can get a good pull.....and tear it off....might have to do 2 or 3 times to get it all.

I perfer my ribs dry so if I foil them I have to use some form of braising liquid, but if your gonna wet them then foil that works also.

Saturday night I smoked 2 pork loins that had been sitting in a mix of apple cider and Knob Creek for a day. Set the side fire box up for smoking, got the coals going, added several cut apple tree logs (1.5 to 2 inch dia.) and waited till the temp hit around 225-250 and smoked them for about 2 hours till the internal temp at the fat end hit 155 and took them off. Waited 5 mins before slicing and man they melted in your mouth

as far as BBQ sauce goes for store brands, I have been using Famos Daves, and I reall like their Devils Spit BBQ sauce, its hot, and sweet....give it a try
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'll have four fried chickens and a Coke.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Also with pork, I like to mix it up wood wise. I mainly use hard wood charcoal and then all favor wood on top. With Pork, try Apple or Cherry or Pecan (its a sublime flavor)...those really work well with pork, as does good old Hickory (although I find hickory on pork to be bitter at times)

For steaks I have found a place to order whiskey and wine barrel chunks so those are outstanding on steaks!

Like the other night with the pork loins, 2 hours under smoke produced a nice 1/4 inch smoke ring in the meat....yum!
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

Softball wrote:
Pop beer can, drink a third (whatever you have in fridge is fine cheaper the better)
I know you do this to make room for the seasoning, but I found it quite funny. Especially coming from DA. Drink 1/3 of a beer, then prepare food. Like you are sneaking in a sip before you start. Guess you had to be there. Lol.
Everytime my wife makes it she will call me into the kitchen and say drink a third. I'm the one that que's them but she prepares them.

Buffalo I did forget to add that all to important part about the membrane. Always got to take that one off. Also its a good idea to add some of your marinade to the ribs when you put them into the foil, or just mix up a new batch and add that.

Ok someone has to tell me how to create a smoke box when I get the new grill and side smoke box, thats like foreign as hell to me.
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

I'll take some pics when I get home of my 'Q with the SFB and my home made charcoal tray/box thingy
Falker

Post by Falker »

Maybe I should Tap my heels together three times and find out what’s going on in Kansas. It seems like that’s the place to be for a good Q. these days with some Sweet Baby Ray’s. :)

Unfortunately we don’t have Famous Daves over here on the west coast yet so …

But I did put some shrimp on the Q yesterday with some Baby Rays coating. They have these disposable wire trays in the BBQ section at Wall Mart for a dollar. When added to your Q , it makes a good Shrimp tray.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Not sure if you have Kroger supermarkets out there but thats where I get mine....

or you can try.....

http://www.famousbbqstore.com/sauces.html

We have one of these places here in Wichita, I've been to it once...it was good but not great. I have my places I go for my BBQ fix. Jet BBQ for Ribs and Brisket and hot links, Delano BBQ for Pulled Pork and the best damn Onion Rings in town. But to be honest, I like BBQ sauce on just about anything other than BBQ. I perfer my BBQ dry, so I can taste the meat, smoke, rub etc.... If i have to sauce it up.....its not good BBQ
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

oh and for shimps (yes with an "s") I use bamboo skewers...soak them in water for an hour before cooking and they dont burn and steam the meat from the inside.....give it a try