Saturday Rib Prep

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

Saturday Rib Prep

Post by Buffalo Six »

So today I prep'd 6 racks of baby backs for a Sunday Smoke for some friends. Stepping away from my usual dry rub, I have taken a different path...

Chocolate Chipolte Baby Backs.......

I have been experimenting with different flavors, apple/bourbon marinade, with a Thai cinnamon/chunky apple sauce basting sauce... Trying to do something different.

So. here is my Chocolate Chipolte Rib "paste"

3-6 (depending on can size) Canned chipolte peppers and 1 TBS of the liquid/sauce from the can (the chilies will be coated with it so you may or may not need to add more)

1/2 medium size onion, coarse chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)

2 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped or mashed as I perfer

1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 oz. of semisweet chocolate grated or in small pieces

2 strips (1/2" x 1 1/2") lemon zest, you know the skins and some pulp. Use the slicer doodad on the side of that grater with a handle thingy, coarse chopped.

2 TBS of brown sugar (I prefer dark)

1 TBS of pure chili powder, I use ancho chili power

2 tsp of coarse salt (kosher or sea)

1 tsp lemon pepper

1 to 3 TBS of vegetable oil

Place all of the above in a food processor and pulse until all that stuff is puree'd add the oil to make the puree into a paste like consistency.

Makes enough for 2 racks of baby backs or 3 if you stretch it.

Prep the Ribs by removing the membrane from the bone side of the ribs.
then using a spoon or spatula spread the paste over the bone side and meat side of the ribs and cover (I used foil) and let sit in the refridge at least 4 hours or over night, the longer the better.

Here is how it comes together...........

all the stuff for the paste ready to go into the food processor....

As you can see I might need a bigger food processor.......

And this is how it ends up......

And after its spread around on the ribs.....god it smells wonderful, and even at this state its got some kick..........

I will post more pics and taste impressions after the Sunday Smoke.....I'm drooling right now...lol
Falker

Post by Falker »

lol , I got to go to bed,.. but that looks like a nice catch. I'll catch up l8r~~ : ) I found Famous Daves. heh, the very next day. That's the bomb ... Tastes like I'm getting take out from back east. : ) I also got Criss n Pitts. it's okay. ..... thay brought in a few more BBQ sause's at the local store. Im still on a tin foil expedition tho . I've "Q'ed" some rib's that you can suck right off the bone like an old geezer with no teeth. I'm still working on chicken and foil. It's not the same. Tonight I added tomato juice and beer to a few chicken thighs in foil and cooked for about an hour over hot coals. I know I should eat them while their hot and ready but I'll eat them l8r.

<S>
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

here is how they ended up.............

By adding a pan of water next to the fire box opening, it made the ribs very moist, to the point i just flipped the rack and pulled the bones out and then chopped the meat up, cut a few limes up and squeezed them over the pile of goodness, then rolled it all up in some small tortilla's and served them......it was funny though, I had to run to the store for the tortilla's and some beer, and after tending the fire for 6 or so hours I smelled as good as the ribs....I had 3 people following me around lol

.........2 (of 6) racks left prior to getting the bones pulled and chopped up into nice office sized lunch packs to make my workmates really mad at me....I know those look burned, but whats left of the paste is moist, spicy, sweet, and oh so smoky (I did these over hardwood charcoal and several logs of apple wood) so its almost like a thick sauce......its good

Softball

Post by Softball »

If I was your neighbor, I would be at your house with a 12-pack every time you cooked on the BBQ. The ribs look delicious!

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Damn Buffalo, so when are we having a WOF BBQ get together at your place?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

my house still smells like a BBQ pit...lol

prolly my best ribs ever to date....these things are really that good. Sept 27th I'm doing like 12 racks for a friends welcome home from Afghanistan party so I'm working all the kinks out.....I think I have it down....