My CharGriller with SFB

Projects, "toy" collections, etc.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

My CharGriller with SFB

Post by Buffalo Six »

daofcmacg was asking what a fire box was.... well here is my chargriller Super Pro with a side fire box..........

And a view inside the fire box with remains from Sat. nights smoke (2 pork loins ).....and my homemade coal basket......

And now a close up of the coal basket......everything needed for this you can get at Ace hardware......like I did

Now some baby portabella's in EVO and garlic........

to go on some great looking ribeye's!

If you look at that last pic, you will see the 3 1/2" dryer vent hose I added to the stack outlet to allow the smoke to travel more horizontally along the grating elevation and thus thru the meat instead of circulatign arounf the top of the BBQ and gettign stale. I also added 3 temp gages to keep taps on the heat at grate level

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Buffalo Six on 16 Aug 2008, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what no pics of the floor PDT_Armataz_01_12
Falker

Post by Falker »

I was hoping to see some Tornado footage.

Well here's something that keeps your " Q " like new. The NFL "Q" cover. Makes a good X-Mas gift too.

http://www.nfltackles.com/kacichduvigr.html

The 3 temp gauges has me intrigued. Can I see them? Will I need to drill holes to add them? Also the stack outlet . How do I make that? Also what does the fire box do? Thanks for sharing..
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

these are the temp gages I picked up. by having 3, one on the fire box, 2 in the grill area, I can watch and track the temp at the hot zone transition from the fire box (indirect heat) to the gill area (direct heat) and then using the vents raise or lower the heat but controlling the air. I can see what the heat is doing at grill level as apposed to some high point near the top of the lid.

this is the temp gages I use, they are good quality and accurate....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XEBFHA

for the venting duct stuff......if you really dont have a smoker....its not going to do anything for you. Because my Char-Griller is a smoker that also happend to grill really really well, I use it to keep the smoke at grill level more, instead of collecting at the top of the lid where the stack starts. The theory is to bring the smoke down and thus thru the meat at grill level, thus exposing the meat to more active smoke. Smoke like heat rises, so instead of rising to the top of the lid and then makign a quick exit, I force it down to grill level before it exits.

The side fire box is basically for smoking. Smoking is slow and low, so indirect heat in the 225-240 range for several hours. Having the box on the side allows you to maintain indirect heat and adds to ease of reloading the coals/wood without openign the main chamber and letign all the heat and smoke out. Convection moves the heat amd smoke from the fire box thru the main chamber and then out the vent. Its the difference between grilling, which is over hot coals, high heat, which sears the outside of the meat to trap the moisture in, and indirect heat which sort of soaks the meat in heat and smoke.

I highly suggest if you want to really get into smoking, get a unit like my Char-Griller. My whole setup was less than 250$ at Lowes IIRC. My grill cooks as good or better than my dads $800 Cajun Grill or his ancient Oklahoma Joes unit. Also.....GET RID of the GAS! lol.....sorry I had to dig a little there.

about covers.....the Chiefs?.....ugg no thanks, I'll take a big ol' Dallas Star on mine but due to the wind here my cover lasted about a month before gettign torn up in the wind
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

I'm doing a pork loin tonight thats been sittign in apple cider and bourbon since friday.....I'll post picks after
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

the RLG get together is at buffs house PDT_Armataz_01_12
daofcmacg

Post by daofcmacg »

I bought a smoker myself...nothing fancy or expensive ($50 bucks). I smoked my Thanksgiving Turkey and later a turkey breast. I am looking to get the Char-Griller for the summer with the side smoker. I will definately look into the thermostats for accuracy. The smoker is a guessing game for me since it did not come with one. What do you expect for 50 bucks. Can you show a better pic of the vent system you rig together so I can get a better idea on how to do it and what it should look like? I also forgot, I smoked a Pork shoulder roast as well. I will be getting my Chargriller with side smoke box, now if I can just the Apple, Cherry etc. firewood (not chips) here in Chi-Town.

DA
Grim Diablo, Grand Admiral, Erebus System Survey Group
Death Angel, SGT, 13th MEU
Falker

Post by Falker »

I was thinking about getting me this smoker for my next rib party. ;)

We're in the pipe , five by five.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Actually I was thinking of Buff posting his recipes. But hell I love both you guys for posting recipes! Awesome I'm cooking those shrimp before the end of the summer. And that looks like an awesome rig for cooking for a large crowd.