2.7 clouds

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

2.7 clouds

Post by Hammer »

So the clouds do not affect AI visual. Do we want to disable them in missions for now until that is fixed? Or are dot labels good enough to amke up for that issue?

Also something to consider for Xpendable and Gravvy (and Wipeout - trying to get him back in) are the issues with cloud altitude changing rapidly.

For the VR guys does the mod still work to help with framerates (I forgot the name of it)?
Helmut
Grifter

Re: 2.7 clouds

Post by Grifter »

Are the server side or client side? I guess they must be server side. I would prefer to not disable the clouds. The dot labels are fine for taking care of this problem. However, if the the clouds change altitude rapidly for those guys I guess we have to disable them until ED gets it fixed. That really sucks because I think they add a lot to realism, spotting, and the general appearance in the sim. But we can't ask those guys to put with that. Hopefully ED will fix that very soon, and then fix the damn AI. It's ridiculous that they haven't fixed the AI after all this time, that should've been a priority years ago.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

weather, including clouds, are set in the mission itself.

Hopefully Gravvy, Xpendable or Wipeout will reply soon.
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

The clouds only pulsate a little bit, and it is less noticeable after I removed some mods. They are not really changing altitude, it is more like a jitter. So if cloud base is 6000, they maybe jitter up or down 50 feet, but not really changing their bases or heights. And it is more of an effect on further away clouds. I would leave the clouds in. It is not really bothering me anymore - I got uses to it that I don't notice much anymore. I would rather have the clouds.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Xpendable,
Thx. what GPU do you use? I have been talking about it with Wipeout, who has a 3090, and is seeing stuttering. I hope he will have time to come comment here about his experience.
Helmut
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I have a 1080GTX. Does Wipeout have any mods installed? I've heard that is the source of a lot of people's problems with regards to 2.7. This patch broke a lot of mods. I went into my .../Saved Games/DCS.Open_Beta/Logs/dcs.log and saw lots of errors being written for some of the mods I had installed, and was getting a lot of stuttering. When I yanked the mods, both the error messages stopped, as well as the stuttering.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

There are mods for DCS? LOL I've been plenty happy with running plain vanilla DCS. :-)
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

There are tons. There are some quality free aircraft that you can fly that would not be available otherwise. Skyhawk A4, T45, C130, just to name a few. There are also lots of asset mods, including the HMS Invincible, the Royal Navy's STOL carrier (kinda like the USS Tarawa, but different). SRS is technically a mod, and so is the Twitch streamer mod which I use when live streaming on Twitch that let's me see comments from viewers in VR that I would not see othwerwise. I had a bunch of asset mods only because they were required for some of the big MVP events I partipate in, such as Anzo Day flyover or the D-Day flyover we did that had 60+ pilots flying in formation with squadrons of AI B-17's.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I hear that the 2.7 update screwed over the mod community. Apparently ED locked them out of some key files necessary for modding. Not sure this means mods like the A4 et al. are going to be phased out or if they can still make those mods despite this problem.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Where did you hear that ED locked out features from modders? I haven't heard that. Yes, some mods broke but I do not think it had anything to do with restricting access. I think the mods in question just need to be updated to work again because of underlying changes that were necessary. I know one of the modders, I can ask him.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Read it on Hoggit in several posts. Something to do with certain files and compiling or something. If I can find the post I’ll link it here.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the posts state they changed some 'database' files into binary when they used to be text.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

One of many posts ranting about locking the .lua files.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I read some of the thread but not all of it. Sounds like they made the weapons Lua files binary so people wouldn't manipulate them to get unfair advantages in combat. This didn't affect the T45, A4, or C130 mods in any way. Sounds like it may have broken mods that were doing things that EA didn't intend, but I do not know. It was not done to block modders entirely, though.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Glad to hear that it didn't effect the more reputable and commonly used mods. I was left with the impression it screwed up mods like the A4 and so that's reassuring to hear that is in fact not the case.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I think mod planes aren't affected, but if someone say altered their F-15 or Hornet lua to carry AIM-54s they're now SOL.
The Jedi Master